Door policy at the Sugar Lounge

edited March 2010 in Local discussion
On Saturday night a large number of rather merry friends of mine decided on a late drink at the Sugar Lounge. Most of them were already in when Dennis was told that he couldn't get in as it was a private party. Dennis is black. Has anybody else had experiences like this and what can we do about it?

Comments

• edited 2:37PM
    I have to say that I'm amazed by this news. It's like time travel.

I do accept what you say but it seems perverse in the extreme for a stroud green road business to act like this. Presumably the person who excluded your friend was acting on their own initiative.

Given Sugar Lounge's particular clientele and special relationship with local black artists and photographers this development could easily break their business if they don't deal with it.

The first step is to contact the owner/manager--whoever they are--and report this event. If they don't seem interested in dealing with the obvious problem there are easy direct action measures to implement.
    I assume that Dennis protested, and that the group confirmed that he was with them? If so, they should contact the police, the local press, et al. The days of 'No blacks, no Irish', etc belong to a horrible past, and there is strong legislation to make sure it stays there.

Or did the door staff genuinely think Dennis was an intruder, and somehow this didn't get checked? It sounds unlikely, but so does the other scenario. All very odd, and with a nasty smell about it.
  • AliAli
    edited 2:37PM
    Were you all drunk ?
    I wasn't part of the group but past history would indicate a certain lack of sobriety. However Dennis is one of those people who never appear tipsy. I agree with Jeremy, maybe the best thing would be for the two of us to see the manageress. No,Dennis said he didn't protest, its not his way.
  • edited March 2010
    I have a different problem with this place, and wouldn't dream of going there ever again, but my friends seem to like it so I get over ruled.

We had four jugs of mojito lastnight between five of us, which cost £100. You'd think that we'd be hammered. Not in the least*. A fact that I can only put down to it mainly being ice.

We ordered two lots of cold mezze - which was just dips. We had to ask for bread. When it came, it was two pitta breads, between six of us. They did come back to ask if we wanted more, but why did they need to ask when it was blatantly obvious?

I also object to us,a group of women, being addressed as 'Ladies' all night but the, quite frankly, rude staff. Patronising buggers.

*I am quite grateful not to have a hangover this morning, but that's not the point.
  • IanIan
    edited 2:37PM
    We went once. Food was burnt. Never been again.
  • edited March 2010
    Could have been for any reason. Was he drunk, being loud, had a smell of spliff about him, rude at the door??? Can't assume that just because he's black that that was the reason.
    If any of these things were the case I would not have started the thread. Certainly some of the people who went in before him were a bit pissed but they were let in and any case late night venues do cater for that sort of clientele.
    They have let me in before, and I'm not Black..

But I do have Ginger Facial hair, so it can't be that they are racist.