Anyone remember Chi Chi the Panda from London Zoo circa 1960's

edited May 2011 in General chat
Came back to my hometown today, and visited the Natural History Museum which I haven't seen for over 40yrs. Whilst enjoying a cup of tea in the cafe, I spotted A stuffed Panda behind me. I could not believe my eyes when I saw that it was Chi Chi !!! It came as quite a shock to see him. Wish that this old boy had been buried with a bit of dignity. It really made me sad.

Comments

• edited 7:42AM
    Guess that I am the only one to remember you Old Boy. Goodnight old chap, and God Bless.
    I know, think he's been there for years. It does seem a bit sad but at least he's still giving people enjoyment, I suppose.
    Is that the Chi Chi who couldn't be bothered to shag AnAn ? Well stuff him then.
    I wonder if Ann Ann was stuffed? Sorry, have to say it, if so, it was probably the first and only for her. ( I know, real groanworthy material that )
    I remember Chi Chi, it was a shame it died, but on the other hand after it did the burger and chips had a slightly oriental air.
    Did any of the burger stick in your teeth, that was the partially digested bamboo shoots. Great for interdental cleaning though don't you think?
    My father in law often talks about this animal and used to go 'courting' at the zoo to watch it ! I must go and see what all the fuss is about. I would love a branch of the Essex Road shop Get Stuffed to open round here. Although I have a role in animal welfare I do admire the skill involved in creating these crazy exhibits. I remember in my home town a' Tableau' i think it's called of stuffed cats wearing old costumes - policeman, clown etc. We used to love it as kids but there seems nothing like this now in London which is a shame - bit of a fading art i guess.
    <http://www.badtaxidermy.com/>; There actually was an amazing exhibition of taxidermy tableaus in Primrose Hill last Christmas it was this collection <http://onelondonone.blogspot.com/2010/12/walter-potters-museum-of-curiosities.html>;
    @ChangN4N6, I hope that it does fade and die out completely. Whilst I can appreciate the Art of Taxidermy, I cannot condone what the Victorians did to Animals, especially the domestic kind. Not only were they killed specifically for the 'art', but then they were dressed in Human clothes and put in Human Scenarios. I saw an exhibition many years ago at a place on Bodmin Moor. I will never forget it for it's horrific quality. This was taxidermy at it's worst, and unforgivable.
    The Bodmin Moor exhibition was at the Jamaica Inn, also home to the Daphne de Maurier museum. The collection has been sold and divided, but wad briefly reunited in the exhibition that Miss Annie mentioned. Which, alas, we missed. It was awesome when I caught it at Bodmin. I don't see what the problem is. Once the animal is dead who gives a shit if someone puts it in a waistcoat and gives it in a pack of cards?
    @ Arkady. Yes, I saw this exhibition at the Jamaica Inn.
    I still say that it was awful!!!
    You say that once an animal is dead, then who gives a shit.
    Well I disagree,those animals did not have a choice. They were killed purely to provide the victorians with a sense of fun. Can you justify that?
    Actually Cookie, Mr. Potter did not approve of killing animals for taxidermy purposes and he was almost certainly unique among Victorian taxidermists in this respect. The kittens for the 'Kitten Weddings were all obtained from a nearby farm and were either stillborn or natural deaths and it took him seven years to complete the 'Who killed Cock Robin' tableau due to the difficulty of finding enough dead birds in the woods. I am keen on taxidermy and saw the most beautiful animals shop in Paris last year. I'd very much like a little monkey perched on a branch above my front door.
    Krazy gal
    I want to see a Badger in a hat, and I am not going to see that in real life. Plus Taxidermy keeps me in employment all year round as there is only a 3 month window I am allowed to club seals to death in but now its blubber and cash all year long.
    Plus if you would like some nice fur boots just let me know.
    @ miss annie, Huge apologies to Mr Potter, and thank you for the info on this unusual taxidermist. As you stated he was certainly unique.Thank goodness some Victorians had some respect for animal life.
    @ detritus, Now look, when did Finsbury Park last have Seals in it's pond?
    The only thing that I used to find were sticklebacks. Are you sure that you have not bludgeoned a few sticklebacks? If so, you will need several hundred to make a pair of boots. Has it occurred to you that A: they are not furry, and B: they smell very fishy. Suggest a rethink.
    No I lived on the Western side of North America, where there are plenty of seals for 10 years, and work is work. But I conceed some people think that taxidermy is cruel and I agree that it's best to do it when the animal is dead. Otherwise they tend to wiggle when you ram 8lb of wadding up their arse.