Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Supermarket food

I had occasion to buy some Jersey Royal spuds at Tesco today - quite heavily discounted, possibly because some of the packets were approaching their sell-by date (I didn't check). Nothing wrong with that. However Mrs K did comment when we ate them that some of the spuds were going ever-so-slightly green.

It wasn't an issue and I'm not complaining. However it did start me wondering whether the quality of the fresh food supplied to Tesco in Stroud Green is any different from other stores in the same chain. Do supermarkets have policies that affect their distribution? Would customers in Kensington and Chelsea put up with this kind of thing?

Does any retail guru know?

Comments

• edited 10:03AM
    We bought some of those too. I'm not a retail guru but I do know that the Tesco at Islington Green (about the same size as SGR) has an equally hit and miss array of wares.
    The boring answer is there is no discrimination. It all comes from the same growers and through the same distribution centres. The chances are that they were heavily discounted because of the very fact that a few of them were a bit green.
    Are you a retail guru, dion?
    maybe, maybe not