The English Language is, like, really going down the drain, innit.'
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Linguist Baz Aarts, author of the Oxford book of Modern English Grammar,
will help us get to grips with 'correct English.'
C U there!

Saturday, September 24
Book signing
1-3pm
Author John Hinselwood will be signing copies of his new book, ‘Stroud Green: A History and Five Walks.’

Thursday, October 20
7-8.30pm
Beats, Cream and more…
Pete brown, legendary lyricist from The Cream, poet and scriptwriter will talk about his life and times.

Comments

• edited 10:26AM
    Dang, I'm at a wedding on the 24th. I'll have to send a pal to pick me up a signed copy.
    A reminder that linguist Baz Aarts will be be giving a talk at Stroud Green Library tomorrow, 7-8.30pm, on 'The English language is, like, really going down the drain innit!'
    Everyone welcome.
    Hugh at Harringey Online just declared war: "Time: October 5, 2011 from 11:30am to 1pm Location: Stroud Green & Harringay Library Posted By: Hugh Event Description: In the Summer of 2010 I stumbled over a historical nugget which revealed that Stroud Green Library had originally been conceived as a library for Stroud Green & Harringay. I suggested to the Head of Haringey Libraries that there would be good reason to reflect this design intention in the present day name. Just over a year later, I'm delighted to be able to report that this coming Wednesday there's a renaming celebration at ........Stroud Green & Harringay Library. The library is putting on an Edwardian style afternoon tea to celebrate with donated food from Café Moka and from our users." What is to be done?
    Seize the railway station in retaliation.

To be renamed Stroud Green and Harringay Station
    The thought crossed my mind. We should also occupy Moka. And I volunteer to raid Yaser Halim. Who's with me?
  • edited October 2011
    Nah, not war - more a European style collaboration as opposed to a little Englander approach.

The station and the Harringay Green Lanes one have been renamed enough times in their history, I'm sure once more wouldn't hurt - Stroudingay, Harringoud, Stroud Gay Green?
  • edited October 2011
    Stroud Gay Green please. I’ll write to the Transport Secretary.
    Those 'European style collaborations' are going really well at the moment.

I'll take Stroud Gay Green, but the moment any form of single currency union is suggested, I'm out.
    Unless we also have fiscal union? *Yawn*
    Anyone got any opinions on whether ‘Stroud Green: A History and Five Walks' is any good? Worth byuying?
    Come on Hugh? Naming stuff - especially places - is about the most overtly political act there is. Londonderry/Derry, Falklands/Malvinas, Burma/Myanmar. I think it demands retaliation. Papa L's suggestion is the best one. Given that the library is now called "Harringay and Stroud Green", surely the railway station next to it should have the same name? In the "spirit of collaboration", I'm sure Hugh + co will support this.
  • AliAli
    edited 10:26AM
    Stroud Green: A History and Five Walks' Very interesting although not quite read it all yet. Lots of little facts and pictures etc. Wall Court looks really good when it was just built and there are no great big chestnut trees in front of it. Gives dates for quite a few streets on when they were built. SG is definitely in Hornsey historically. Details the first arguments with the “other” side around sewers. It got built down SG road by the railway company that built the Crouch Hill to Gospel Oak Railway as they had flooding issues to deal with. Good stuff on the history of the Stapleton etc Won’t say any more buy the book it is worth it