[...]

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 8:28AM
    They were tracking something on Marquis/Victoria Road. We are certain they were looking for Mme. Cross who still hasn't put the tax disc on her scooter.
    Last night was ridiculous, right above our house at 2am..
    I didn't hear it at 2am, but during the 11-12 incident last night you could see their beam of light apparently following nothing along Marquis and Victoria Roads. Maybe they were looking for a missing cat?
  • AliAli
    edited 8:28AM
    White Lion has much improved and was okay on Friday and Saturday night with lots of people dinning. Quite a youngish crowd. They even chucked out a rather scruffy looking bloke who was obviously very much under the influence, he then tried to get into the Pizza next door. What’s wrong with the pub trying to improve itself as it obviously is ? I also saw about 10 people dining in Soba, looked not to bad under the candle light, I wonder what the food is like ? Back on subject the helicopters where unbelievably noisy last night it was like they were just outside the bedroom window !
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    I got barred once for not drinking up quick enough but that was a quite a few years ago but was eventually “allowed” back. Drinking up time doesn’t exist legally any more (since 2003) although most people probably still imagine it is 20 mins after closing. I must have a look at their signage pricelist etc and see if drinking up time is actually specified as if it is not it is entirely at the discretion of the licensee. The bar shuts at 12.30 I think so I guess to avoid issue don’t buy a last drink unless you have time to finish it before 12.30. I also believe that some licensees call last orders 20 mins before closing which would imply that drinking up time ends when it shuts ie 12.30 ? I got told once that they moved to earlier closing (it used to be 1am) because the extra 30 mins generated more hassle than the revenue was worth. Agree with your point about it nearly closing a few years back. I also think that CAMRA vouchers get new people in as well it being £2.10 for a pint of Ruddles
  • AliAli
    I think I know who you’re talking about and it is a bit of a shame. The paper readers used to roll up pretty late on Friday and possibly they should try to get themselves un-banned come earlier and leave at Midnight so there are no issues. I hope they have found somewhere else to go to. I have also noticed that some of the local rogues seem to be getting dressed up a bit more. “I found this quote about WLM from a couple of years ago on the “What is your local lethal pub site” “The White Lion of Mortimer on Stroud Green Road always has a desperate looking crowd assembled outside it. Faces that tell stories of hardship and madness. And that's just at 10 in the morning” At least that situation doesn’t really exist at the moment which means it is a much more pleasant place to walk past but I don't know where that set of people have gone to. I guess the Manager will get judged on numbers and I guess the “new” customers are of a higher average spend which is waht he will be looking for, thye magic food sales
  • RoyRoy
    It's true that drinking up time doesn't exist per se, but each licensed premises has two sets of hours - the hours they are permitted to serve alcohol, and the hours they are permitted to open. The difference between these can be thought of as drinking up time. e.g. in Cambridge many pubs had a licence that allowed them to sell alcohol until 11pm and to open until 11.30pm. So, effectively 30 minutes drinking up time. And they legally must get you to leave at the end of their permitted opening hours. Of course, in many cases a premise will have a licence for longer hours than they actually choose to open, but if they're opening as late as their licence allows then drinking up time is very real. roy