PVC windows - conservation area

edited October 2011 in Local discussion
Hello.

Can developers put in PVC replacement windows in properties in Stroud Green?

Just wondering as a developer has bought a 1900s house near us and is turning it into flats. Looks like he's put in those crap-looking plastic windows all over the front. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen...

Comments

• edited 5:19PM
    Not if they're in the conservation areas. Which road? COMPLAIN.
  • AliAli
    edited 5:19PM
    If you are going to raise a complaint you do it on this page using and online facility <http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/housing_and_planning/planning-mainpage/planning_enforcement.htm>; You will need to chase them quite hard to get anything done. I started off a complaint on 6th September and still not had a satisfactory answers. They lost the first two complaints and I now have a planning officer who is worse than useless so far. He is on his last chance to actually visit the site as I am sure it is illegal. I should hear from him today if not it goes to the lady who earns £147k as it seems to me that her planning department is in a bit of a mess. It will be interesting to hear what he says when I tell him that !
    Thanks for the replies. I must be getting old. I'd have never dreamt of complaining about this a few years back but now I am going IN. I hope I don't turn in to a full-blown curtain twitcher tho.
    It's the Stapleton hall Road end of Ferme Park Road by the way, and therefore in the SG conservation area.
    I hadn't noticed that. Will keep an eye out. Definitely complain.
    We own a flat, leasehold, on Cornwall Rd (also in the [SG conservation area](http://www.haringey.gov.uk/stroud_green_conservation_area_map.pdf) ) which Haringey Council own the freehold of. Very very oddly, when I asked about replacing my windows/doors (at my/my insurers' cost - we were burgled and the buggers did the French windows in), Haringey insisted we put in PVC. They purport to have a policy of insisting doors and windows comply with an [official guidance document](http://www.homesforharingey.org/hfh_windows_doors_revised_august_2009.pdf), and plastic is basically the only material that meets the bill - see p4. I couldn't bring myself to install PVC, or at the time have the fight with them about their policy, so I repaired the wooden doors. To be frank I didn't know about the conservation area - another thing learned on SG.org. Keep up the fight domnextmen!
    RedSurgeon, did the French windows face onto the street, or onto your garden? the conservation rules don't apply if they can't be seen from the street.
    They don't face the street, so perhaps the conservation area point wouldn't win me many favours when One Day I go to war on this. The Homes for Haringey ALMO document seems to apply to all windows and doors whichever way they face. There is a bullet-point in the document I linked to on p5 about conservation areas, but when I picked the HfH lady up on this she did a telephonic shrug of the shoulders...
  • AliAli
    edited 5:19PM
    Apparently if non planning approved work is more than 4 years old it is immune to planning laws and can’t be stopped etc. I have been assured that I will have an answer on my complaint by 4pm tomorrow afternoon, we shall see!
  • edited December 2017
    Another instance has just occurred at no.10 Stapleton Hall Road. Where new PVC windows have been fitted. Property is owned by Stroud Green Housing Co-op and is definitely in the Conservation Area.
    Phone the co-op and they basically didn't have a clue about planning or conservation just wanted the cheapest option.
    We knew a great old boy who lived on the ground floor until recently - now in sheltered housing on Tollington Park - he would have loved new windows!

By the way I believe that non-approved work has to exist for 8 years before it is 'immune' to regs. .