Recycling - Haringey. What you can and what you can't?

edited January 2012 in About this site
<P>Mrs K and I have a permanent and ongoing dispute about what you can recycle and what goes in the general rubbish.  We are on the Haringey side.  Refernce to the council's many leaflets doesn't help.</P> <P>So, do you recycle:</P> <P>Plastic shopping bags?</P> <P>One litre Tesco or Waitrose juice cartons</P> <P>Tesco chilled meat trays</P> <P>The plastic film that seals Tesco meat trays</P> <P>And so on.   Help please.   I may post a photo of all the goods we disagree about if I get round to it.</P> <P> </P> <P> </P>

Comments

• Juice cartons are usually a no due to some production methods they use. Plastic bags yes, although we reuse ours. Have a look on the packaging, it usually tells you whether it's recyclable or not. The symbol can be quite small though. Islington take most things.
  • <P>Plastic bags - not via the council, but both Tesco & Sainsbury's have plastic bag recycling facilities. You can also recycle the netting bags which e.g. satsumas come in (but not the tags).</P> <P>Juice cartons - yes (used to be no, then it was yes in designated bins e.g. by Hornsey Library, now it's yes in home collection). I don't think the council minds which supermarket the cartons come from...</P> <P>Meat trays - plastic yes, polystyrene no.</P> <P>Meat tray film - yes if it's clingfilm (recycle with plastic bags), no if it's the harder film which is glued on to the edges of the tray. </P> <P>Some of the recycling rules will change this year when we get recycling wheelie bins, but haven't memorised the new rules yet!</P>
  • <P>Which symbol?  Total confusion.  There are more than one.  Some Waitrose drinks cartons have nothing at all, some (identical product) have a circular arrow and say 'composite - widely recycled''.  So how am I supposed to know?   Does Haringey actually recycle it - or not?</P> <P>Tropicana has the same symbol and 'widely recycled at recycling points. Check locally for kerbside'.  So what's that supposed to mean? Is my front garden bin a recycling point?</P> <P>Mrs K has a theory that if a carton is shiny inside, you can't recycle it.  This is a bit like reading tea leaves. Result - they all go in the bin. </P> <P>I bet they do this better in Germany.</P> <P>   </P>
  • <P>It took a while for councils to be able to deal with cartons because they are waxed and sometimes have a silver interior - but they seem to have solved whatever the problem was. Your front garden is kerbside. Recycling points are the huge bins at e.g. supermarkets. In Haringey, cartons went from recycling point collection to kerbside a few months ago.</P> <P>There are 2 main recycling symbols - the circular arrow and the triangle. The triangle is used for plastics and will often have letters or numbers in it to tell the recycling company what kind of plastic it is - e.g PP = polypropylene.</P>
  • edited January 2012
    I just put anything that I think should be recyclable into the green box. I have had no complaints. They must have a team at the other end that sort through this stuff, and if they’re getting large amounts of things that technically can be recycled but currently are not by the council then all the more incentive for them to pull their finger out.
  • I do exactly the same thing - complaints. Islington take all garden waste without complaint and the recycling chaps even pitch up on Bank Holiday Mondays!
  • Errr, I meant NO complaints!
  • I'm in Haringey and I pretty much recycle everything. Plastic cartons, plastic film, juice boxes, carrier bags, tin cans. In fact very little goes in the normal bin these days, and I've never had any complaints.<br>
  • <P>I find about 70% of things get recycled which makes it all the more hilarious that the recycling bin is approx 30% the size of the black wheelie bin. If that makes sense</P>