Stroud Green WI meeting tonight, Tue 10 July, 8pm

edited July 2012 in Local discussion
The next WI meeting is tonight at The Hideaway, Ennis Road N4, at 8pm - all women welcome.<div><br></div><div>Our guest speaker tonight is @krappyrubsnif (aka Mike), who will be talking to us about producing his own olive oil in Italy. We get a tasting too! His oil will also be available to buy at the meeting.</div><div><br></div><div>Look forward to seeing members and visitors later on!</div>

Comments

• <p>Brilliant talk by krappyrubsnif this evening. </p><p>We can highly recommend his absolutely delicious olive oil (currently available at The Noble), the bread he made was fantastic too!</p>
  • edited July 2012
    Dear ladies, thanks so much for having me, I really enjoyed meeting you all and doing the talk.  Sorry if I went on a bit long - I just love showing my pictures!    I'll get a few more labelled bottles up to the Noble sharpish, and as soon as my papers come through I'll see about organising a table at the Farmers' Market and outside Budgens.  Watch this space!<br>
  • Thanks again, @krappyrubsnif - actually drinking the oil was a revelation. The remains of your fabulous bread will be introduced to the remains of a jar of my equally fabulous crab apple jelly later on - should be a very happy (if extremely short-lived) marriage!
  • edited July 2012
    I didn't have time to do this before last night's session, but I've now had a close read of the labels of the three or four 'olive oils' I bought in Tesco yesterday.  Most revealing, with a range from extra virgin 'blended community oils' to 'light and mild' (actually refined and highly calorific), to olive pomace oil containing 49% genetically modified soya and 'anti-foaming agent'.  Scary!<br><br>We didn't get a chance to do a proper tasting yesterday, but I wouldn't mind doing a different session in a few months time, lighter on the slide show and more of a real olive oil tasting - not with the WI but for the blokes as well, maybe in a pub or one of the cafes or coffee bars around here. Perhaps the time whould be after the new oil crop arrives in November.  We could explore different terms, colour, content, taste, aroma, and how to read the bottle.   If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll eventually start an 'olive oil tasting' thread on here.<br><br><br>
  • edited July 2012
    Sounds good. I thought all oils - regardless of their un-mony-polo-saturatedness - all had the same calorific level of about 9kcal/g, no?