The Great Storm

edited October 2013 in Local discussion
Predicted to be dramatic although no one has actually said the H word yet. Train services not running before 9am. Lets be careful out there http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2013-10-25/london-storms/

Comments

• The H word, by definition, can never apply to Britain. There's little practical difference, but it's at least a good way of identifying hyperbole by people who don't actually know the field.
  • edited October 2013
    I predict that we'll be fine and it just blows over. Why? Because I don't need any more problems in my life right now. So, everyone, send your wishes to the Universe and hope the sun will shine from a bright blue sky tomorrow. :-)<br>
  • I predict sod all will happen. It might be a little windy a bit wet, but the insanity about the storm is so over the top, people live in countries that suffer seriously bad storms, hurricanes, tornadoes and the such. We in this country are so stupid over the weather, when it snows the city shuts down, if a river bursts it's bank it's a flood on biblical proportions. It's not the coming of the morningstar but autumnal weather.
  • Quite agree with that. <br>
  • I remember a woman dying from a falling shop sign in Holloway in the 90s after a similar storm but it's not a hurricane.  I think the media, especially the weather service don't want to be caught unawares like in 87.
  • Woodfall in Woodfall park. Well named Chang
  • My lovely crab apple tree was blown down. Bother.
  • Seems like the Met Office got their forecast spot on, shame so many of the papers were being scare-mongering and sensationalist.  The main issue with this storm was the fact most of the trees were still in leaf and that it peaked about 6am in London, the worst time for disruption.<br><br>This was about a 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 year event but it was quite localised (due to something called a string jet is anyone cares).<br><br>Saw about half a dozen small trees (or large branches) down on my walk to Finsbury Park this morning.  But this was no-where near, and never was likely to be, as bad as the '87 or Burns Day storm which were nearer 1 in 100 year events.<br>
  • Large lump of brick knocked from the Parkland Walk bridge on Upper Tollington. Could have hit someone, but didn't. <br>
  • edited October 2013
    While I know the media have been a bit over-dramatic concerning the storm, people have been killed and injured.  I think dramatic warnings are necessary as most people in the UK aren't used to severe weather. Yes, I know some of you have lived in the US or holidayed during tsunamis but it's very odd here and staying in when it's not necessary to go out,especially in the suburbs and country areas is sound advice.  I've lived in central Europe where they get severe snow and they deal with it quite well, but dealing with snow and dealing with heavy winds are two different things.
  • I grew up with severe weather. Winds like that are quite common in that region, particularly thunderstorms, so it doesn't bother me so much. I recall one incident where I literally held onto a lamp post because it may have blown me away otherwise, and I ain't no featherweight. Quite funny. The only worry I have is that the houses here are so brittle, that I fear they may fall apart. <br>Such warning, though, I agree, are quite useful, especially for the disabled or elderly. A blind can't see where a brick is falling, and an older person can't jump out of the way or withstand the forces of the weather. It's just the media who has to blow everything out of proportion. In fact we, in London, are quite spoiled with the weather. Okay, the winter was shite, but it would be bearable if the houses were a tad better insulated. <br><br>
  • Venture only a short distance away from SG and you'll see damage. Hornsey Lane was impassable due to a big tree falling over the road and crushing several cars (on BBC), take a detour up to Shepherds Hill to find that blocked with the same outcome. To get to work today i had to go via Muswell Hill, every street had some major damage of some sort. We were lucky in SG, it hasn't been exaggerated. 
  • Poor tree. :-(<br><br>Brodiej: glad you made it nevertheless. Yes, trees fall over, and bricks fall down, but it's nothing compared to what many countries and cities go through. I have friends in Japan and the US and particularly the latter suffer from storms' consequences like no electricity and Internet for days. I believe it's not as bad in London as it's so full of buildings; it's much worse in the country side. <br>
  • It's not a competition.  England doesn't suffer twisters, hurricanes....as some of our members have experienced or haven't but like to go on about it showing their world travelling sophistication.  The Met service issued a warning that there'd be strong winds and there were.  The media go on about it but isn't it better than people non knowing about it.  It  will pass. Death and some injuries won't.  I think it was well managed for a country where it doesn't happen too often. 
  • Three people have died. Tragic
  • Kreuzkav, I don't think people are showing off. The majority of people I know in SG, and indeed my life, are well travelled. It used to be really quite cheap to get around, still is if you aren't that fussy about where you sleep. My mum is currently in Memphis, TN (it took her a while to save up, she's not rich or especially sophisticated), and quite excited about the storm predicted to pass through there.
  • @ Miss Annie, wasn't having you in mind, where did that come from (it's not all about you) but the chatter of people who can't understand, not just on here, that we live in a very stable climate that throws up these storms every now and again.  As for snow there's no excuse for not having grit and snow ploughs.
  • Gee, the tone's getting slightly aggressive. No need for that, really. I also don't think that being well-travelled is a bad thing. If at all, it's great if people then share their experiences. Broadens one's horizon, doesn't it? I'm not well-travelled, by the way. Lanzarote, Netherlands, Strasbourg, and UK. That's it, really. I wish I could travel the world. <br>
  • edited October 2013
    I haven't complained about anyone being well travelled but the droning of people going on about how when they were in ..... this is nothing.. and we're being too dramatic about our warnings.  I don't live in India during Monsoon and I don't intend to travel there during it.  I live in London .I think the weather service and most local authorities have handled this well. It wasn't a hurricane but it did kill and injure and this was minimised due to precautions.  Gee.  I was in my teens in 1987 and the whining that went on afterwards was annoying.  Now there's no excuse for idiots who decide to drive at 3am into the storm (not hurricane).
  • Sorry about your crab apple Vetski.
  • This storm was not a walk in the park.   While we slept a whole bunch of trees were blown across rail lines and roads and a fair bit of damage was done - I think the transport authorities and met got it about right.  OK, it was not the storm of the century - that was just the media take on it.  They cleared up quickly, too.<br><br>I did take a walk in the park - at least one massive tree down (near the New River gate), many branches ripped off and the whole area covered in branches, twigs and leaves.  I for one would not have cared to be walking about there during the half hour or so that was going on.<br>
  • Thanks @Mirandola. At least it's the right season to plant another straightaway!<div><br></div><div>Re the Park, I think it's 4 big trees down in total. The Friends of Finsbury Park said that the council would be concentrating on the roads today and hoped to get started on the park tomorrow. I'll post on this thread if they say they'd like some help, shall I?</div>
  • Cycled through the park today and, yes, as expected, there was damage. Also cycled past Clissold Park, which was closed. Hope the animals are fine.<br>
  • Friends of FP facebook page has photos.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.