Fancy doing something excellent?

edited November 2013 in Local discussion
<div><br></div><div>The Haberdashery in Crouch End are doing something brilliant and they need some help.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>On Christmas day we will be providing Christmas Dinner and entertainment<div>to about 30 elderly people that would otherwise either have no means to celebrate,</div><div>or be lonely.</div><div><br></div><div>This will happen at The Haberdashery in Crouch End.</div><div><br></div><div>The guests will be chosen by AgeUk, a local charity that looks after</div><div>elderly lonely people.</div><div><br></div><div>On the day we will provide Christmas Dinner (with all the trimmings),</div><div>drinks, Bingo, Secret Santa, music and lots of happiness!</div><div><br></div><div>I need your help though.</div><div><br></div><div>There are many ways to help:</div><div><br></div><div>- donating any amount of money (even £1.00 would help!) to go towards the</div><div>food and drinks for the day (any extra money leftover will be donated to</div><div>AgeUk)</div><div>- donating a present for secret Santa</div><div>- donating a bottle of wine or something that would be consumed on the day</div><div>(mince pies/Christmas pudding/turkey etc...). Please do get in touch if</div><div>you want to donate food/drinks so can organise not to have 20 turkeys and</div><div>no booze! </div><div>- fundraising through your friends/family/customers/circles... Seriously,</div><div>£1.00 each could make the difference!</div><div>- by donating any old item you might do not want anymore: we will have a</div><div>table selling all the donations at the Christmas Barboot at The</div><div>Haberdashery. Books, shoes, clothes, anything will do!</div><div>- spreading the word through twitter, facebook, word of mouth...</div><div>- putting me in touch with someone that might be able to help with</div><div>discounted food or someone that might want to donate for this cause</div><div><br></div><div>Any donations would be extremely helpful!</div><div><br></div><div>Amelia from Painted Black is in charge to collect donations in Crouch End (Thank you!!!)</div><div><br></div><div>Please do let me know if there is anything else you might want to know or</div><div>any suggestions/ways to help that I have not thought of.</div><div><br></div><div>For the first time in years I am looking forward to Christmas day like</div><div>when I was a kid!!! Super excited!!!</div><div><br></div><div>Massimo.</div><div><br></div><div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2013
    Why on earth would you sneer at this? <div><br></div><div>I'm full of admiration for anyone who's willing to give up their Christmas Day to make sure someone else has a good day.</div>
  • @Misscara -  you don't have to buy the £5 pot of tea. They should be applauded for taking time out on Christmas day to do this for the elderly. No one is forcing these people to go there. Miscara you will know that many old people in this country are very lonely and isolated and anything to help them should be encouraged. I wish more private companies did more from the communities that they take money from .
  • I think it's a fabulous idea. I'm sure I've got a knitted hat or two that I could donate. miss annie, do you know where I should send them?<br>
  • On this page, I agree with Miss Cara, rather to my surprise! Christmas is vile, and the lonely OAPS dimension is patronising. What have Xmas pudding, silly hats, childish banter got to do with life's problems? Why are the old always treated like children, instead of adults with loads of experience behind them?<br>
  • I can't stand Christmas but I think this is a excellent idea.
  • If this is the case "I hate "Christmas" and I hate shameless self promotion under the guise of charity." then may I suggest in future if you read a post like this you move on and never return to it.<br>
  • edited November 2013
    More laudable still would be offering affordable OAP/DHSS menus during the whole year ... it works well for businesses that experience quiet times ... is sustainable ... and makes a long-term dent in feelings of loneliness and isolation among the financially excluded (of what ever age) This one-off Christmas lunch idea - on balance - strikes me as shamelessly self-serving; forgive the pun.
  • If you're taking the opinion that business making charitable donations and undertaking charitable acts is a bad one, then perhaps the views of a charity on the receiving end might change your view. They couldn't give two hoots where the support comes from, they just need the support. Watch Children in Need tomorrow and you'll see millions of pounds of corporate donations, all of whom do it for tax or publicity. Thats how it is, and the charities benefit. They don't care, they need the cash.<div><br></div><div>I think it is perfectly acceptable for the Haberdashery to publicise this event. This has been proactively sought out by them via Age UK, they are providing something which has a value to the recipients (food and company), they are a local business which would benefit from people thinking that they're a nice bunch. As far as i can see they are being criticised by people that either hate Christmas, or that don't like their cafe. In that case, this post must have absolutely no interest to them apart from a desire to see them do less well.....which is pathetic.  </div><div><br></div><div>Good on you Haberdashery. A thoughtful, and intelligent thing to do in your community.  <br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited November 2013
    Re Oasis- i just texted Rocky old star of Chapter One, sadly missed - he was gutted about Oasis. Said he knew it would never work. It would be a good place given its size for good boozy pensioners Xmas outing. Closer to local oaps. Haberdashery is 2 far. Chetski could dress as bad Santa and play the washboard lady gaga tunes. I would take some grub and Jonty would do a curry. Chang
  • edited November 2013
    What is the thing with old broken teapots and plates? Chang
  • Oh for goodness sakes. It's Christmas. American or not - it's a time when those alone - old or young - can feel isolated and more vulnerable. For the sake of a squid, have a heart people - and poster (Miss Annie) - to where do I send my donation (at me Dad's in Norfolk otherwise I'd be helping). 
  • Amelia at Painted Black (just past the Maynard) in Crouch End, has offered to be the drop off point for donations as she has storage space. Actually a lot of our Christmas traditions were imported from Germany by Prince Albert. Coca Cola and Hollywood invented the rest.
  • <div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Well I never...  Here it is in the H&H <a href="http://www.hamhighbroadway.co.uk/news/crouch_end_cafe_s_bid_to_give_elderly_a_christmas_to_remember_1_3004344">already</a> </font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">It's a good thing to do, but why all the self-promoting hullabaloo?  Why not just get on with it?</div>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It's a long-running controversy ... Consider this publication, written in the context of opposition to Christmas as a pagan relic and an occasion for extravagance and drunkenness:</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">:</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><i>A ha! Christmas,: This book of Christmas is a sound and good perswasion for gentlemen, and all wealthy men, to keepe a good Christmas. Here is proved the cause of free-will offerings, and to be liberall to the poore, here is sound and good arguments for it, taken and proved out of scripture, as hath been written a long time. / By, T.H. </i></span><span style="font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">Printed, for R.L., 1647.</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt;"><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • Miss Cara whatever my opinion is regarding the matter I love the fact that you are passionate about what you believe in. You are very much entitled to your opinion and I respect that.  
  • They are publicising because Age UK have asked them too and because they need help with donations as listed above.
  • edited November 2013
    Sutent, Stalin was passionate about what he believed in. . ...Look what happened to Diane Abbot. £700 each time she spoke on TV. Not good. Chang
  • Massimo had a table at Barboot last week, selling the stuff people had donated to raise money. He asked people to pay 'whatever they could afford', people were stuffing fivers and tenners in. People's generosity is amazing, I think this is a tremendous venture and Haberdashery are planning to do it in a bigger venue next year so that they can invite more folk. It's certainly needed, as the article above illustrates.