Stroud Green Society

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
<div>Saw this Meetup group on the Crouch End Creatives FB page - didn't realise there was such a thing, anyone been to any of the events?</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.meetup.com/Stroud-Green-Society/">http://www.meetup.com/Stroud-Green-Society/</a></div>;

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I suppose so - if a hoax, I can't see the purpose!
  • Yes its real. I signed up months ago thinking it was SG based but they go on trips all around London so never been to any.
  • It is the Mayor and Corporation of Stroud Green come back to life
  • Didn't u nick the outfit and go AWOL ? Chang
  • I revolted by not paying membership, still get e mails about trips.<div><br></div><div>Not that i am knocking it i just expected it to be SG based but seems little to do with SG , may be wrong but have yet to see a meetup held here since joining.<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2014
    A few of the Meet Up groups meet in Waterstones Piccadilly's lovely basement cafe (shameless plug). I signed up to two groups about three years ago that I've never yet managed to get to. You choose specific preferences on MeetUp, so if you're interested in meeting other prop makers for instance (as I am) it will only send you notification about those groups. I guess if you give a lot of areas of interest there is more potential for a lot of weird groups, there really is group for all sorts. There are a vast amount of peculiar Sci/FiFantasy related groups and a pal of mine goes to a Pug owners one.
  • I am pretty clueless about meet up, a friend runs  an art group from it and was on at me to join, think i just typed in SG to the site to see what was local.<div><br></div><div>These things always seem  good idea , finding the time to participate something else. </div>
  • <div>Stroud Green Society will be having drinks and board games at the Noble this Sat .</div>
  • £3.95 a year to play board games in the pub with people on an email list?<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><div><div><br></div></div></div>
  • <div>@ andy Yes, at least this meet is actually in SG  for a change.<div><br></div><div>SG really does get exploited!</div><div><br></div><div> As if the SGS using SG's  good name but rarely being here is not depressing enough, i discovered Stroud in Glos likes to refer to itself regularly a Green Stroud, so  appear to be attempting to steal the green from us!</div><div><br></div><div> I was almost swayed into moving there but stayed strong, at least for now ,!</div></div><div><br></div>
  • There are also a couple of facebook groups that are nothing to do with us, but that have lifted the "i heart n4" image we use.<div><br></div><div>£3.95 a year. Baffling.</div>
  • In the same way facebook is in the US. Doesn't stop people in Stroud Green using it to set up groups.
  • I joined the Stroud Green society a couple of months ago, but not until I queried that few of the meet ups seems to actually be in Stroud Green and many seemed to involve gadding about (walks to Highgate etc) which being disabled I cannot do. The organizer reassured me that they do actually hold events in Stroud Green and as soon as I joined announced a pub lunch at the Old Dairy. I went along and there were plenty of people. I think the group has been going for quite a while. I'm going along to the board games at the Noble tomorrow and will report back. Incidentally, the hosting website of Meet Up now charges organizers, so understandably organizers will pass that charge on in the form of a membership fee. That's not to say that with enough members they don't make a profit though ;)
  • I run two Meetup groups, and certainly most members don't realise the costs charged to organisers. Either we can absorb the costs ourselves, or organisers end up charging anything from a nominal amount to exorbitant fees. <br><br>I charge a nominal fee, which theoretically helps weed out the no-shows, which a lot of organisers get very worked up about (I just joke about them instead). <br>
  • Board games are much better when played at home. Or, if it's a game of chess, in a quiet cafe, in the half-shadow, with a glass of wine. <br>
  • I had a blast playing board games at the Noble yesterday. Really friendly bunch of people. Jenga followed by an ancient edition of Trivial Pursuit - my team won :)
  • Love Trivial Pursuit. Been a while, though.<br>
  • Far too many of the answers in Triv are incomplete, outdated or outright wrong - always leads to bickering.
  • Haven't played in years to be honest. And I don't bicker. I'm always right!<br>