Book group Christmas meal - 11th December, 7.30pm, The Shaftesbury

edited November 2014 in StroudGreen Book Club
Hello and happy November.<br><br>After some prettly low (but high-quality) turnouts recently, we thought it would be best to have a poll rather than try to decide a date that would suit most people. I have created a Doodle poll that you can easily take part in: <a href="http://doodle.com/bwtp3q9y77vc5cp7">http://doodle.com/bwtp3q9y77vc5cp7</a><br><br>We probably won't be able to find the perfect date, but it would be lovely to see as many people as possible.<br><br>We will be discussing <span style="font-weight: bold;"><a href="http://www.greenmetropolis.com/search.aspx?results=0&instock=true&title=goldfinch&author=&search.x=0&search.y=0">The Goldfinch</a> by Donna Tartt</span>. But do come along for the dinner even if you don't manage to finish the book. It's a bit of a monster.<br><br>We were thinking maybe the newly reopened Shaftesbury, unless anyone else has any suggestions? We are investigating their menu etc.<br><br>It would be good to try and make a booking by mid-November so please fill in the poll as soon as possible!<br>

Comments

• Done! Thanks for organising Sophie.
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks to everyone who has filled in the poll so far.<br>There are two dates, the 11th and 15th, where 6 out of 8 people can come. If there is no advance on either of those dates as a preference I might have to toss a coin and leave two sad people :(<br><br>Jude has been in to the Shaftesbury and asked about a potential meal and they seemed excited about the prospect and were happy to accommodate us!<br><br>Anyone else want to fill in the poll or suggest any other venues or ideas?<br>
  • I think I can make the 11th happen if that helps get everyone together on the same day. Am intrigued to try The Shaftesbury!
  • @Luirette that would be brilliant as it would mean only one person couldn't make it - can we say the 11th and I will try and round up the troops of people who haven't responded yet (and send Gina an apologetic message). Although I only have Jenny's number...<br>
  • I can try and get a babysitter for the 11th as I think I was the only one who couldn't do that date.
  • @Angelab You did tick yes for that night! Hope that'll be ok.<br><br>Jude has been to the Shaftesbury and they have proposed a special Christmas menu, but there needs to be a minimum of 10 people and it is £23 per head, so I think we should just order from the normal menu.<br><br>If anyone needs a copy of the Goldfinch let me know as I am done with mine!<br>
  • excellent. in the diary.
  • Great, thanks for organising it Sophie. Please could I borrow your copy?!
  • Please count me in for the 11th, i am nearly finished the goldfinch, its been epic! <div><br></div><div>Apologies for not making the last few, work...</div>
  • Im in have finished the book following jury service.
  • Hi All <div>Pretty sire I can make it although I doubt I will have finished the book.</div><div>Sorry I haven't been for ages.</div><div>Look forward to seeing you all.</div><div><br></div>
  • The lovely Shaftesbury have even offered to throw in a glass of prosecco each and turn down the music for us... Table is booked for 7.30pm.
  • Sorry I haven't made it for a while. Work clashes. See you in the new year. Sorry to be missing the party.
  • Thanks so much for sorting Sophie! Just got the book from the library so better get started asap :) See you on 11th x
  • Hi all, I'm not going to make tonight after all - I've been ill and am not feeling up to it unfortunately. Very disappointed to miss our Christmas do and catching up with you all! Hope you have a great evening. Wishing you all a lovely Christmas and New Year and I hope to make it to the January meeting. Charlotte x