[...]

Comments

• edited November 2014
    I don't know about yesterday's problems, but this morning's were caused by a person unwell on a train at Euston, leading to stationary southbound Victoria line trains and crowds filling up the platform. I gave up after ten minutes and went up to the train station instead, by which point they'd closed the tube entrances due to overcrowding.
  • Maybe they are trying to put people off using the entrance in prepratin for it being closed next year.
  • Do you know how long it's going to be closed for next year Arkady? <br>
  • I don't recall, indeed I'm not sure that's been published in detail.  But I'd guess it will be at least six months between the current Wells Terrace tunnel closing and the new street entrance within City North opening, and quite possibly rather more.
  • I'd heard 2 years.... I've actually just emailed my ward councillors (Tollington) to get them to kick up a fuss, supposedly TfL had no issues raised when they mentioned it to LB Islington.<br>
  • I wish people would wait until they get to a station to raise the alarm when feeling unwell. A stationary train in a tunnel is no use to anyone least of all the ill person.
  • @annie. That is harsh. Am sure most people don't chose time or place to be unwell
  • Of course they don't.but help will come more quickly if you wait until you get into a station to raise the alarm, rather than pulling the alarm cord in a tunnel.
  • How do you suggest you do that on a busy platform? There are not many emergency bells on the platform, so unless you pull the  cord on the train you are unlikely to get help. You can't rely on other passangers to help either 
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">I tried to look this up to find out what was going on and look who I found:</span></font><br><br><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/the-past-and-future-of-finsbury-park/</span></font><br>;
  • @Sutent - pulling the emergency cord whilst the train is in motion makes absolutely no sense if you are ill. How are paramedics supposed to reach a train trapped in the tunnel? <div><br></div><div>Either the train driver has to re-set the brakes and then pull into the next station or the power has to be shut off so the paramedics can get to the train. either way, valuable time is lost.<div><br></div><div>There's no reason really for a passenger to pull it unless someone is trapped between cars or in the doors.  </div></div>
  • @JoeV- ;<span style="font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248);"> On the London Underground, pulling the Emergency Stop merely alerts the driver who will then stop at the next station, unless the situation warrants more immediate action.</span><div><span style="font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248);"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248);">There were 403 sexual attacks on the tube last year and just under 2000 violent assaults. </span></div>
  • If the train doesn't stop automatically, is the driver required to stop the train and investigate? It would still make more sense to wait until the train reaches the next platform and then pulling the emergency stop to alert the driver, who in turn can alert station staff to call an ambulance or the police.<div><br></div><div>It seems to me that if pulling the emergency stop results in the train stuck in the tunnel being a person could be prolonging their sexual attack or violent assault or prevent help reaching them if they are ill. If you can't rely on other passengers to help, what makes you think the train driver can necessarily do something? I'd rather the police or medics handle it. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • @Duncan Did you notice the author of the London Reconnections article?<br>
  • edited November 2014
  • TfL's advice is to pull the cord on the train once the train is in the station. And while Londoners on public transport can be surly, I've been helped by fellow passengers a couple of times. 
  • It doesn't matter wherever you pull the cord. It will lead to delays while it becomes investigated. 
  • Surely if someone is in distress due to physical illness or being attacked they're not going to go 'hey, wait a minute until I get to the next station'.  From what I know it's policy for the train to carry on until the next station.  <div><br></div><div>Although, saying that,  two weeks ago I was on a crowded piccadilly line train when an alarm went off.  The driver did stop the train halfway between Caledonian road and King's Cross.  He asked if there was a problem and then kept going slowly along the track.  At King's Cross I found out the alarms went off by mistake without anyone touching them.  I'm sure the driver shouldn't have stopped and gone on to King's Cross without stopping.</div><div><br></div><div>Does anyone know the official policy on this matter?</div>
  • Nothing will convince me that pulling the cord between stops when you feel ill is a good idea. Especially on the Victoria Line where it's maximum two minutes between stations. Have a look round next time you are on a platform, there are plenty of alarm points.