The (over)Hanging Gardens of Stroud Green

Quite a lot of folks around here are lucky enough to have front gardens and - luckily for others of us who do not - most of them are not covered in concrete and/or paving. The verdant and well-planted front gardens of the area add to its attractiveness without a doubt. But at this time of year some of the lovely gardens are beginning to escape across their front-boundary walls and are, well, getting to be a bit of nusiance here and there.

It seems to me that the problem is particularly acute for those with visual impairments or mobility issues, where stepping out onto the road to avoid the verdure is neither straightforward nor safe. I could imagine it is also a problem for folks carrying lots of shopping bags and/or walking with kids either in tow or in a buggy.

Add to this that essential but immovable street furniture such as trees, lanp-posts, post boxes and telephone cabinets seem - as if by magic - to find themsleves close to overgrowing gardens, combined with the fact that cars are often parked barrier-like nose-to-tail against the pavement, merely compunds the 'overhanging garden' problem for all types and conditions of pedestrian.

Please, dear SG-ers, If you are responsible for a front garden that has suddenly taken summer to its heart and put on a growth-spurt maybe you will find time to lop off those low hanging twigs and branches and burgeoning bushes that are beginning to invade the pavement? Get out there with the clippers and saws, show off your boundary line, and fill up that garden-waste sack the Council so thoughfully provides for taking away those clippings and cuttings.

Comments

• Within living memory the council used to serve warnings on people whose garden foliage obstructed the pavement. This happened to us. We cut it back.

I assume this social function has been pruned back and added to the bonfire of regulations created by our servile politicians (of every stripe) since 2009.
  • Sorry to 'politicise' front gardens, but there we are.
  • _Bee_Bee Stroud Green Road
    I'm happy you posted this @gardener-joe
    We have several vision-impaired residents in this neighbourhood and I have seen them quite shocked and frustrated by walking into overhanging vines when walking down the pavement. It seemed to me to be similar to waling into a large spiderweb, which I would hate.
  • edited June 18
    Islington issues letters if your hedge is too overgrown and causes an obstruction on the pavement. As already pointed out, it can be a nuisance for visually impaired people and those on mobility scooters.
    Oh I didn't even notice krappy's clever pun. Really grew out of nowhere!
  • There are specific rules about the amount of overhang up to head height which were explained by a Council official my overgrown garden needed cutting back at the time I moved in. If you are concerned just report the problem using the Council app (Haringey and Islington both have them) and someone from the Council will contact the owner - better still if you know the owner speak directly.
  • I think that there was a bit of a debate with the council about the Elephant hedge but thankfully it has managed to stay in all its glory
  • As have the Steam Train hedge and the Whale hedge.
    I haven't seen the whale! Where's it at?
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    The elephant hedge does not look like an elephant. I only realised it was an elephant by spotting its tail.
  • It does! The on on Mount Pleasant Crescent?
  • Just passed The Steam Train on Perth Road. Lots of hedges on that street and there was a man cutting his privet, I suggested he do something different.

There is another elephant and a caterpillar (I think) on Victoria Rd.
  • No-one quite beats the Ambler Road heffalump hedge though

https://t.co/31bpRVFteO
  • The elephant on Mount Pleasant Crescent is ace.

I love them little cottages anyway.