Living in SG

edited June 2009 in Local discussion
Hi All,

Apologies in advance if I am breaking community rules in asking this, but we feel everything is worth a try... myself and my partner are trying to buy a flat in Stroud Green, cos it's so lovely - only there is very little on the market at the moment. I was wondering if any of you know anyone trying to sell a property privately in the area - or have any tips about buying in the area.

We appreciate we haven't made things easy for ourselves in only looking in such a defined area, but it's weird: there's loads on in Crouch End, and almost nothing in SG!

Really, your help would be most warmly and gratefully appreciated, and sorry again if property requests are not allowed.

Thanks

Tink

Comments

• edited 4:17PM
    Depends what you mean by SG (cue plenty of debate as per threads passim). After a quiet year on the 'For Sale / To Let' Sign-Count Barometer™, things are slowly picking up at least on Stapleton Hall Road & the nest of roads between Harringay station and Ferme Park Rd. There's a couple of flats on Quernmore Road for sale through Winkworths for example?
  • AliAli
    edited 4:17PM
    What are you looking for ?
    Believe there is two bed flat which needs work for sale in Lorne Road that I don’t think has a sign outside it
    Thanks Ali - We're looking for a 2-3 bed, preferably with a garden. Do you know who's marketing the place in Lorne Rd?

Tink
    Where are you moving from, Tink?
    @matt - Tufnell Park Road - really prefer the idea of living somewhere with a bit more going on!
    I moved here from Tufnell Park back in February. I think Stroud Green ought to twin with Tufnell Park. They have quite a lot in common (to my mind at least): - Named after a non-existent local green space - Vaguely defined geographical area - Split between two boroughs - Best described to non-locals by proximity to other better-known places (half way between Kentish Town/Finsbury Park* and Archway/Crouch End* - delete as appropriate) - Sort of gentrified but still a bit rough around the edges Can anyone else suggest another area of London that's more similar to Stroud Green?
    Out of curiousity, would you mind saying what your price range is? we're thinking of doing an extension to our one bed garden flat so I'm interested in what someone would pay for that sort of flat in this market, if you really did want to live in the area.
    Tufnell Park Playing Fields look green to me. Maybe we should name the MPVillas covered reservoir as Stroud Green's green (see other thread).
    I've always assumed that if Tufnell Park Playing Fields were *the* Tufnell Park the 'Playing Fields' bit wouldn't be necessary. But I guess this might be the wrong forum for the 'where is the park in Tufnell Park?' question.
    Tufnell Park playing fields are, I was told, what is left of what would have been a larger green space before it was all built on. Did you know the Holloway Odeon is on the site of the Lord of the Manor's (or somesuch) residence?
    Someone I know is convinced that the covered resevoir is/has in it a huge underground war bunker...

Obviously it isn't/doesn't, but he based this on a place near york that has some concealed satellite dishes and claims to be a covered resevoir but is actually an MOD owned secret base.

One night we went to check for secret satellites or other evidence to settle the argument. Didn't find any, though there were lots of piles of water piping that you would expect at a place that stores water. Apparantly these could be decoys.
  • edited June 2009
    moved this to another thread
    i think I posted the last one to the wrong thread but you get the gist
    @jamie_l - i think bits of kensal rise are a bit stroudgreen-y
    Can we have a Stroud Rise? Perhaps the nuclear resevoir thing. As in, _"go up til you hit Fiveways, take a right to the Triangle then over to Stroud Rise."_