Who has lived in Stroud Green the longest?

13»

Comments

• edited 11:58AM
    There was a time - before Dunn's - when Hovis was the only brown bread available in the whole of the UK. But even that wasn't PROPER brown bread as some of us now know...
  • AliAli
    edited 11:58AM
    The man who invented Hovis Flour is in Highgate Cemetry
    Really, Karl Marx invented that too?
    I have met someone who has lived here since 1940something- been to their house. I don't want to say where in SG exactly because I don't want to identify them. Sorry this sounds so mysterious!!
    Moved here in June 1981, having squatted since '78 in Muswell Hill and Crouch End. Moved on same days as Charles & Di's wedding, there was a Funk the Wedding alternative event in Clissold Park!

Ali mentioned most the pubs etc. but have to mention The Sir Walter Scott now the Fullback. Marlers was part of mini-chain and Tim Wetherspoon was one of the partners. After a tiff over who knows what - he quit and formed Wetherspoons and White Lion ws there 2nd or 3rd pub. [ btw Wham backing singers Pepsi and Shirley lived in flat abovr garage on Sparsholt Rd. - we sat in Marlers/ the Noble one luchtime watchng George Michael and Andrew help then move out. Much trouble ensued trying to get a standard lamp in the back of a shiny new Ford Capri I recall.

Have to mention BeeWees the original and best caribbean restaurant- it was legendary. Owners were a husband and wife team but following a divorce Mrs opened her own place - next door the Hummingbird!!
    I moved in in 1976. Was full of old tossers even then. Never dis your elders, they may be the people you become
  • AliAli
    edited 11:58AM
    I think Twinspark means Tim Martin not Weatherspoon. That name is supposed to have been Tim’s teachers names in NZ. Beewees was ace tremendous Caribbean punch ! It was in the space were part one of Petek’s is. The new part of Petek’s back then was a great flock wall papered 1st generation Indian Restaurant.