Finsbury Park Community Choir

edited November 2009 in Local discussion
Come and join us for Finsbury Park’s very own choir. It’s new, it’s free and it’s on Wednesdays. We welcome everyone regardless of ability or age – we just want to get together and have a good sing-song!

• Do you live or work near N4 and Finsbury Park Station?
• Have you been told that you have a good voice?
• Have you been told you haven’t got a good voice?
• Do you want to feel reinvigorated at the end of stressful Wednesday?
• Do you like singing in the bath?

5.30pm – 6.30pm Wednesdays (Nov 4, 11, 18, 26, Dec 2, 9, 16). Come to the main gate and ask for Debbie. Rehearsals will take place in the Lower Hall at Pooles Park School, Lennox Road, Finsbury Park N4 3NW. For more details go to www.musicplatform.co.uk

Comments

• edited 8:53PM
    Could you tell us more about it, Eliz? What kind of stuff do you sing? Is it in parts? Do you read from music?
    There's only been one practice so far so we're still deciding what to sing in the weeks ahead but some ideas include a Mozart opera chorus, a Motown classic, an Albanian song, a Gospel medley, a Somali alphabet song and a Turkish lullaby. The organisers say that "ultimately the repertoire is the choir members’ choice - so if you are desperate to sing a Led Zeppelin cover, Beethoven’s 9th or the Birdie song – come and stake your claim!"

Most of the people at the first practice couldn't read music so word sheets are available. There's lots more information on the Music Platform website.
    it sounds really nice and would be so convenient for me, apart from the fact that it's at 5.30. just an hour later i'm sure you would be able to interest a lot more people who can finish work between 5.30 & 6.
    Speaking for myself, 5.30 would suit me fine. Thank you, Eliz. I looked at the website, and it sounded great. I have rung and left a message, to find out more. See you there - maybe!
    Too early for me - sounds great.
    No answer to my message, and I couldn't go anyway. Perhaps next week. I wonder how it went? Can you tell us, Liz?
  • cjgcjg
    edited 8:53PM
    I'd like to go, do you have to committ to every week, I can only make every other...?
    I'm not one of the organisers (it was started by the Music Platform people) but I can pass on comments about the early start. Last week was good but it's still a smaller group than they'd hoped for so hopefully it'll grow as time goes on.
    Cjg, I don't think it matters if you can't commit to every week, it seems to be very informal and no one has allocated parts so it shouldn't make a huge difference if you can't make every session.
    Thanks for that, Eliz. I plan to give it a go tomorrow, so see you there.
  • cjgcjg
    edited 8:53PM
    Brill, I can't come until the 2nd dec, but will be there then!
    I went last night, and really enjoyed myself. Heartily recommended, to anyone who enjoys a good sing.
    Sorry to see this thread has dropped to half way down page 2. I am pushing it back up to the top again to remind you that it's tomorrow night at 5.30, and to encourage you to give it a go, even if you have a low opinion of your singing skills.

Will try and find time to tell you more about it later, or tomorrow.
  • Is there some way of finding out if you can actually sing or not, and what is your natural voice (bass, tenor, alto or whatever)? Whenever I try singing, my voice randomly switches its pitch. I imagine this must be horrible to listen to but for all I know it could be an easy thing to learn and control. I haven't sung since I was in the school choir, probably before my voice broke.

It reminded me because I sang in Handel's Messiah (including the Hallelujah Chorus) when I was about 12, and I remember it being quite fun.
    Everybody can sing, Krappy! Although I haven't been there long enough to know how Mark (the gaffer) proposes to help the wobbly ones. I don't think we've got as far as deciding what voice we are, although every now and again someone complains that it's too high, and the poor pianist has to try and transpose the stuff down. I know, because, as from last week, I am the poor pianist!

Why not give it a try? There were about 20+ there last week, and I know 2-3 other friends are interested. Mark and his 3 assistants are lovely, and nothing has been very difficult, so far. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town; a simple little 3-parter from The Magic Flute; another Xmas song; and we started with a kid's round, of the Tony Chestnut type.

As much as anything, I like the community aspect of it. Music Platform is the name of the organisation that organises things, and they are based at Poole's Park School, just off Fonthill Road. They do lots in school as well, and for starters the choir will be joining in with an informal event at the Union Chapel, at 6, on Monday 14/12, I think.

All for now.

See you there!

Mike.
    Would love to get involved, but have kids and could only do evenings after 8......
  • edited January 2010
    Sorry to drag this thread back up to the top again. Just to remind you that we're off again tomorrow, and that all are welcome - they really are. Note change of time, though: 5.45 - 7.15.

www.musicplatform.co.uk.

...if you want to know more.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks, Andy (see next post) - edit achieved
    there's an edit button
    I dispute the idea that 'everyone can sing', offering as evidence 1) Ian Brown, formerly of the Stone Roses and 2) myself.
  • edited January 2010
    I was a music teacher for 40 years, ADGS. It sometimes took a bit of time, but if a child really wanted to, they ended up singing in tune.

As for adults, I can't tell you the number of times they tell me they are tone deaf. Tone deafness is in fact rarer than colour blindness. Many people have been traumatised by cruel, stupid music teachers, who in the past would put droners in the back row, and tell them to mime, instead of offering them help. Most of the 'tone deaf' I come across turn out to be just fine, if I can persuade them to sing a note or two to me. They have been spooked by what music education used to be , in most schools. Either that, or they had none at all.

Did you hear the Today programme on R4 this morning? There was a discussion about the health-giving properties of singing, which is as effective as going to the gym - and more fun, imo. A lot of research has been done by the Voices Foundation and the London Institute of Education. Try googling, if you'd like to know more.
    I do enjoy bellowing along, it's true. I just tend to make sure I'm somewhere loud enough that nobody can hear me before I attempt it. Although I did once participate in Bill Drummond's choir project The17
    http://www.the17.org/
    and that was quite moving.
    All I get from that link is a picture. Care to tell us more?
    Click on the pic.
    Blimey. I don't know what to make of all that. I found a Guardian article about it, which might interest others:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/jul/25/billdrummond
    Hi folks. I shall probably pop along on Weds. I've sung in choirs in the past but am very out of practice, so may just hum quietly at the back!
    Good. See you tomorrow, then, Mills. I'll be the bloke at the piano - do come and say hello. Don't worry about the state of your voice - we are not the BBC Singers -yet!
    Brill. I have been wanting to join a choir for a while, and since you are so kindly rehearsing less than a minute's bike ride from my house, it would be rude of me not to join this one!
    I'd love to come and have a bellow but I help out with the local Brownie pack on Wednesdays. Do let us all know when you have any performances.
    I hope you enjoyed yourself last night, Mills. Sorry I didn't have time to chat - next time perhaps, if you come again.

As for performances, Miss Annie: we haven't been going very long, so I imagine concerts/performances will be for the future. Will certainly let you all know if we get that far - not that it's up to me - I'm only the piano-player!