Zebra crossing Florence/Tollington

Comments

• Ms Featherstone - the thread I refered to earlier on this thread is on page 3 of previous threads now on this forum. Thank you very much. I am talking about the thread i started about covered reservoir. I would rather people on this forum saw the reply that you write on here rather than send mails to you...
  • Hi. The issue with speeding traffic and the crossing on Upper Tollington Park is one that Cllr Ed Butcher and I have raised a numbers of times over the last few years – as residents keep raising it with us. As a result of my nagging I was promised back in November 2009 that new signs would be put up to make the crossing clearer to drivers. However, on the key point of whether the crossing should be upgraded and have traffic lights to stop the traffic, the Council keep saying they will look into it but nothing happens.

We’ll keep up the pressure on the Council – and see if we can think of any new ways of forcing them to take action.

In the shorter term, I’ve emailed our local neighbourhood police sergeant and the Council’s community safety team and asked them to increase patrols and surveillance of the area in the hope they can actually catch some of these irresponsible drivers.

Regards,

Richard
  • edited 5:42AM
    No one stops at the crossing outside Tesco unless you stand in the middle of the road and force them to.
    I think it's peculiar to Finsbury Park drivers because, for instance, people do generally stop at zebra crossings in Muswell Hill.
    If there's an anomaly there it's the well-behaved Muswell Hill drivers.
    I do not like Mussie Hill.
    Part of the problem, if you are heading east up Upper Tollington Park, is the parked cars just before the crossing makes it impossible to see if anyone is about to cross. I always slow down in case they are, but plenty don't. Also, I think UTP limit is 30mph, but Tollington Park is 20mph; anyway, people definitely start speeding as soon as they get through the lights. The crossing by Tesco is a proper death trap - very few cars stop there. Just this afternoon, I waited as three cars sped by, completely oblivious to the crossing.
    I'm gonna get one of those 'Stinger' things they use on cop shows and throw that out across the Zebra crossing before I step out.

If drivers decide to carry on instead of stop they'll soon be needing 4 new tyres.
    or I'll get one of these:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    That's just silly.
    I'd prefer some kind of force-field effect which kicked in when lights went red. Seeing audacious cars concertina or chopped in two would surely brighten any pedestrian's day.
    I recommend using keys or boot heels to inflict damage on the passing car. If the driver stops and attempts to exit the vehicle a potent kick to the car door as their head emerges usually discourages them from pursuing the matter further, and makes them think twice about doing it again. For added impact explain loudly exacty why the perpetrator is a selfish, inconsiderate and dangerous fool, and punctuate this with a string of expletives. Arky
    Since Haringey is being roundly slaughtered in every council ranking system going, surely its up to us to make sure we do something to change it when given the chance. The road traffic management, parking etc. is generally pretty appalling around SG. Their attitude tends to be to come down on those who live within spirit of the community, but dealing with those that don't is too much hassle.
    I'm always wary of using keys just in case one of them gets bent out of shape in the process and leaves me locked out. Whereas I never use the belt on my coat, so if its buckle gets bent, so what?
    As Cllr Wilson has stated, he has brought this matter to our attention. My officers are aware of it and have been tasked to look out for any offences. Today 26th Mar from 8-9.30am my team were in Upper Tollington Park conducting a "Stop It" operation with Haringey Council to target possible Fly tippers. Whilst there we also monitored this crossing. As a result several drivers were spoken to and advised about the dangers and possible offences. One driver was issued with a fixed penalty notice which will result in 3 points endorsed on their licence.
    We intend to continue to monitor this crossing and carry out similar visits over the next few weeks and issue further fixed penalty notices.
    If anyone wishes to discuss this or any other issue affecting Stroud Green area (Haringey side) please contact us on 0208 721 2837 or email stroudgreen.snt@met.police.uk
    Thanks Bob Stevenson, Sgt Stroud Green SNT
    Further to the above, i am sure the previous comments about damaging cars were made in jest as this would be criminal damage.
    Bob Stevenson, Sgt Stroud Green SNT
  • Thank you very much to Sgt Bob Stevenson from Stroud Green Safer Neighbourhoods Team Police for taking action here. It is good to hear that a driver will get 3 points endorsed on his licence,it's the only thing that arrogant drivers listen to. If I might make this suggestion: that the police contact the local newspapers to advertise that they have done what they say they have done;to act as a warning to other drivers who read the papers. Thank you to Dion for starting this thread which could do some good. People like Dion flagging up issues like this can make things safer. I don't know if the relevant authorities might respond to the point Ian made about traffic light phasing at the junction of Tollington Park and Stroud Green Rd,Ian's comment was made on this thread on 12th March. I don't know who sets phasing for these lights TFL?
    @ StroudGreen.SNT I did see people in bright yellow jackets this morning and wondered what they were up to! I think that telling the local newspapers that the crossing is being monitored is also a great idea. Thanks
    Clearly I'm glad that something is being done about this, and would hope there's a chance of something similar on other crossings (such as the Tollington/SGR crossroads). But...

What are the penalties for criminal damage? Specifically, how do they compare to the penalties for ignoring crossings (what you said above only mentioned points on the license, which obviously doesn't map to pedestrians - were there fines also)? Because it would seem to me self-evident that an action which can very easily result in death or serious injury, such as ignoring a crossing, should be punished far more heavily than one which will only ever damage paintwork. Is this the case? And would the majority of people committing said criminal damage, like the majority of these drivers, receive only a verbal ticking off?
    I can't see the driver complaining in the circumstances. Nor can I see a jury convicting the car-keyer. Doff of the hat to Sgt Stevenson though, excellent example of community policing. A
    Brilliant. Only in Stroud Green. We got people arrested via the Internet. Thanks @stroudgreen SNT/cllr Watts for the updates.
    @ADGS - I would say this all falls broadly under the category of vigilantism, which in general, the police don't like.
    I'm not a huge fan either.
    <http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/reportastreetfault/newfault.aspx>; to sort out traffic light phasing issues, I have done it a couple of times when the pedestrian lights to the park over tollington take too long to go green again and the queues stretch back for miles
    Andy: I know that has been the case for a while, but I thought that after a lot of publicity for ludicrous incidents where householders were had up for injuring poor ickle burglars &c, attempts were being made to redress the balance in the general direction of sanity.
  • CatCat
    edited 5:42AM
    I don't think the problem at Tollington Park / Stroud Green Road is a phasing problem, it's a problem with people jumping the red lights. The lights on Stroud Green Road don't change to green as soon as the lights have gone red on Tollington Park, there is some inter green which if people didn't jump the red lights would leave enough time for the people turning right.
    Agreed. I have noticed that people turning left or right are even more cavalier about the reds than those going straight across - perhaps they think that the necessary deceleration is sufficient concession to the whole 'stop' suggestion?
  • IanIan
    edited 5:42AM
    Cat - it might well be that it is solved just by cracking down on red light jumpers, but in absence of doing that a few seconds more on red would be sensible. Given the number of people in London who jump lights, drive without insurance and have unregistered cars so cameras can't pick them up I would err on the side of safety first.
    Good job Bob - I saw you guys up at the junction stopping motorists that morning, excellent job, well done!