Dry cleaner

edited March 2010 in Local discussion
Can anyone recommend a local dry cleaner? I haven't needed to use one since moving here but have an urgent suit-cleaning mission tomorrow. Is the one in the nandos section of SGR ok?

Comments

• IanIan
    edited 9:14PM
    I use the guy opposite Nando's. Nice bloke, no complaints from me. But then I tend to wonder what could possibly go wrong. (Cue horror stories).
  • edited 9:14PM
    I use the one by Woody's. He's quick and treats his customers well.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh no, don't use that one, opposite Nandos. He's a half-wit. I took two black skirts in there, picked up one, went back for the other one, and he said no I'd already picked it up. We went then had a long argument about how there were two skirts very different but both black. He tried to make out I was mad. He couldn't work out his own systems. Eventually I went through his book, found my ticket number and the date and located the skirt on the rail myself. He didn't react and just charged me the full amount. The place stinks as well. All your clothes come back with the same stench of BO and stale food.

Go to Snowhite, the place next to the dentist up from Nandos, up from the closed dentist. It's not completely perfect, there's an issue with ironing the lapels and things can get a bit shiny over time, although I think that's just dry cleaning for you. It's open seven days a week and quite late. The guy who runs it, is super-friendly. Bit flirty, but probably not with you.
  • IanIan
    edited 9:14PM
    See - I told you all ...
    To add some confusion, I am actually not particularly happy with Snowwhite. They just never seem to be able to get the lapels of suit jackets right if they are the three-buttons kind. I've commented on this on another thread and it has happened again since then. I appreciate it's a very friendly and clean place but I am tired of discovering at home my jackets have been turned into sixties-style mini-collar jackets. I'll probably take my suits into the CIty in the future. While it's not as good value there at least they have an idea of what they should look like. Oh, and trying to explain doesn't help because you're usually outnumbered. Has anyone tried the one next to the Black Sea BBQ?
    The tailors and clothing repairer on the corner of Fonthill Road and Moray Road recently started doing dry cleaning. Not sure if it is done on site but they should have a good idea of what a suit should turn out like.
    That's Image - I've used them in the past and was pretty happy with my suits. However they don't seem particularly cheap at £8.50ish for a suit, (I'm sure i've seen places along SGR doing them for around £6) and the stuff comes back wrapped in plastic advertising a dry cleaners on Seven Sisters Road, where I presume they send them off to. Which made me think that it'd be cheaper and probably quicker to go direct to those guys.

I used the dry cleaning in the laundrette opposite Image, on Fonthill Road, and although they're a lot cheaper, it took them over a week to find a pair of my pants, and that's not something I want to risk with my suits.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Actionverb - are you American, or do you actually get your pants dry cleaned? A
  • edited March 2010
    Arky - you beat me to the same question
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The world demands an answer. A
    The guy a few doors from Woody's has never let me down. I have not experienced any shineyness with him.
    I use the one opposite Nandos, Mr Hossein, nice guy and does repairs and stuff for free usually as I'm a regular. He's on holiday for a while though.
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks very much for your advice.
    Hmm. Not for the first time, it looks like my pants have caused a bit of an internet stir...

I did mean trousers, but I do wish I had the financial clout to dry clean everything. It would solve the age old problem of your washing a)taking up 25% of the non-bed area in our bedroom during the drying stages and b)said bedroom smelling of the washing powder during said drying stage.
    One near Woody's is usually good, except ... once I went to pick up suits etc just before going away for week long work conference and they'd not been done. Only let me down once that way, but was quite a problem.

Also, not so good for repairs to pockets in trousers, but then I've yet to find a dry cleaners that does pocket repairs I like. My quest continues.
  • The place opposite Nandos once dry cleaned 3 suits at the same time and I packed one for a business trip only for them to have paired the wrong jacket and trousers together. I made it into a funny story to tell clients at the start of meetings, but I felt like a bit of a twat. I now go to Quality Dry Cleaners on Blackstock Road - they guy who owns the place is mega friendly and the cleaning is top notch. I go on Saturdays and stop in at Good for Food for a salad on the way back.
    Just a quick word on the pants issue.

I say Pants as well, but I am not American.

Pants are Pants, and what you might refer to as Pants are actually Underpants.. you know, the ones that go UNDER your PANTS.

Although I do like to say that things are Pants, in a derogatory manor but it does piss me off when pulled up on my use of Pants as the trouser and not the under garment.

To be honest though, being from Liverpool I actually say Undies as UnderPants and Kecks as trousers.

Oh the nuances of regional vernacular, how I love you so.

oh and I have no fucking clue about Dry Cleaners in SG.

I love Thursday actually being Friday.
    @JFJ - that's being pernickety and well you know it. In the UK vernacular, we say pants. And pants refers to underpants, which was only ever used as a word when you were under 10 years old. Pants NEVER refers to trousers. The fellas on the Londis parade of Ferme Park Rd do a good dry clean.
    Well it's not UK vernacular, as we don't really have a UK vernacular.

Words from all areas of the country and the world seep into our everyday parlance and there is no right or wrong answer.

Pants is used up north in certain places, as Trousers.

Well done nick_m it was a good attempt at being assertive.
    Pants is perfectly acceptable, comes from 'pantaloons' an all purpose Italian word for trouser type garms.

I use trousers for formal trousers, pants for gym pants and being a lady I have the useful word knickers for underpinnings.

I'm quite fond of the word breeches too - for outer or underwear.
  • edited April 2010
    Re: Pants / American Words
    Some NSFW language.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
    Pants is an abbreviation of pantaloons.
    The sky is blue.
    I've lived for 34 years in this country and no one has ever used pants to refer to trousers in my presence. Not even my Yorkshire mum.
    I've regularly heard 'kecks' used in relation to pants. Of the under- variety.
    Brilliant. I joined this forum with the sole purpose of finding dry cleaning recommendations and here they are, located in 5 seconds! My evening has been made.
    Despite previously being favourable to Snow White on SGR, he's gone and lost the trousers from my suit.

Accidents happen etc, so I'm going to try and replace them, but unlikely, suit's over a year old.

£300 Pierre Cardin suit, trousers on own probably £120. Would anyone push for the full suit replacement from him? Or just agree on compensation for cost of a pair of trousers? Jacket on its own is no use to me. Doubt I have the receipt... I quite like him but cash is cash.