2 new skyscrapers for Finsbury Park

edited April 2010 in Local discussion
LBC has just announced on its news that Islington Council has just approved two new skyscrapers to be built near the station over the next 3 years.

Heart sinks.

Oh well, I guess I was in a minority of objectors.

Comments

• edited 7:15AM
    Excellent news. What's the objection? Please don't say they're an eyesore. The area around the station is already ugly and in need of some regeneration.
    They're an eyesore visible from everywhere?

More ugliness = regeneration you say...
    Lots of jobs to build the lovely big towers, which will then be filled with lots of people buying up all the rubbish local coffee that money can buy. If we're lucky we might even get a new supermarket.
    Was the City North thread insufficient for this debate?
    At least it will give the local economy a boost in an area where the main industries are prostitution and drug dealing.
    There's a medium sized supermarket in the scheme already. Most probably a Tesco.

But Arkady's point stands.
  • edited April 2010
    I can't wait to browse the 'prostitution and drugs' aisle in the new medium sized tesco
    @Arkady and ActionVerb. I didn't make a contribution to the City North thread. I have now posted my thoughts on this thread. I could understand your moans if I was just repeating something I'd already said on the City North thread. Would you prefer I move them to the other thread?
    This discussion board is often paralysed by silence. Sometimes I'm crying out for a comment. Sometimes I even read the knitting thread if its got a new comment. So please don't have a moan just because you might have seen something similar elsewhere.
  • edited April 2010
    @Tallboy: what are you talking about? It is common courtesy to check whether there is an existing thread and post there so that the discussion is in one place. Basic netiquette. Post as much as you want if you're so inclined, just do it in the right thread. PS These aren't really skyscrapers. That term usually kicks in at 150 metres (supertalls at 300+ meters). At 65ish metres (the article is wrong) these are high-rises.
    @Arkady. How could this not be the right thread! I was the first reponse to the initial comment. So you're suggesting that after Bridget made her post I should then leave my reply to it on the City North thread?!
    Aren't all the buildings outside the Well Street exit of the station - Clifton House etc- all pretty ugly anyway and would benefit from redevelopment! You can't do much worse... 65m is probably quite proportionate
  • edited April 2010
    @Tallboy. Yes, after referring her to the correct thread. Again this is basic netiquette, go and look at a netiquette guide. I'm genuinely suprised that you're even asking. By failing to do that (and I'm aware that I'm perpetuating this) you leave the old thread and its useful information behind, losing ease of reference, and making it harder for newcomers to a thread to understand the whole picture. I miss the early days of the net, before the Eternal September. A
    @Arkady. Just ridiculous. By that measure every time somebody leaves a new post we should all research and trawl through the old posts in order to find the most appropriate place to leave our comment.
    Loosen up and throw away your old school netiquette book.
    @Arkady. 'go and look at a netiquette guide' Think you might be getting your trilby in a twiz over nowt very much.

Well done you!

This is a specific post about some breaking local news, thats it, anyone who is really interested in this issues would probably look at both threads.

I'm with Tallboy on this to be honest.

But I do like a good scrap.
    Hmm I just think it will blight the skyline to be honest and the light and make the area seem even more depressing!

Interesting that LBC thinks its big news - its used on the intro for the news.

I forgot it was called City North whatever and who cares, only Arkady who seems to have some control freakish issues!
  • edited April 2010
    Let's not start the light issue again. :-) OK look, I agree it's not a hard and fast rule, just etiquette. And it's etiquette that most of us follow every time we post. If a thread has dissapeared from sight and mind then starting a new thread is understandable, but when it's on the same page with links and news posted in it less than an hour ago then it just doesn't make sense to start a new thread. I find it hard to believe that anyone could dispute that - even Bridget admits she just forgot. But if you think I'm being anally retentitive then maybe I'll start a new thread every time I want to post something (like The Northern Heights) and see how Tallboy likes them apples. A
    Well I think you have pretty much killed off this thread with your bullish almost bullying behaviour on this anyway.

It is supposed to be a bit of fun isnt it?

Thanks for that.
    I much prefer Pappagone to Porchetta.
    No problem Bridget the original thread is still fine, go check it out. It has the news that you posted in it, only by me an hour earlier. Indeed others had posted the same news several days ago, but never mind. More of a Firezza man myself. A x
    If I may stick my oar in, the usually netiquette is for a moderator to just merge threads about the same subject so that people don't have to worry or argue about which one to post in.
    Technically, Slabber is right. So is Arkady. But perhaps more importantly, most people don't care and in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. In my view, some of the more rambly threads here are the best ones. I found whoever was moaning about us going off topic on the coffee thread hilariously prissy. There are more serious things going on in the world than the fact that there are two threads about some tower blocks. Look, it's a lovely day outside. Let's all go to the Fullback, immediately.
    *doffs cap* My tetchiness is partly to do with being stuck inside at work while pretty people bask in the park opposite. Might see you in the Fullback later. May shave off the beard and lose my hat in case Bridget comes and punches me in the face, although I warn you that my missus can be pretty territorial and defensive. Have lovely weekends. A
    there's already an effing "skyscraper" on the estate <200 metres away anyway, [here-ish](http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=six+acres+estate,+n4&sll=51.563506,-0.108758&sspn=0.004135,0.009913&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=6+Acres+Estate,+London+N4,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.563999,-0.111172&spn=0.00827,0.019827&z=16). and it's ugly as hell. so what's the bother about some nice new shiny ones? i'm excited.
    The building you are referring to is "Big" Clifton Court. As council blocks go it's not that bad - and has red brick facings too. It's far removed from the monolithic stained concrete monstrosities that exist elsewhere.

Also bear in mind that "new and shiny" may quickly wear off. Fast forward 20 years and you might find that the 'ugly as hell' Clifton Court ages much better than these twin towers do.

Hmm!
  • RegReg
    edited 7:15AM
    Spotted this on Estates Gazette just now. Mayor gives nod for Finsbury Park resi towers Boris Johnson has approved plans to convert the City North Islington Trading Estate next to Finsbury Park station, N4, into a 355-home residential scheme. Developer City North Islington is to build flats in two 21-storey towers and a 10-storey building, along with shops, restaurants and offices on a new street between Goodwin Street and Wells Terrace. Islington council said the mayor’s decision not to oppose its approval of the plans on the 2.1-acre site, would pave the way for the largest regeneration project in Islington since Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium was opened in 2006. The development also provides the opportunity for London Underground to deliver a new station entrance and concourse in the future. Designed by Islington-based architects Benson+Forsyth, the scheme has been praised by the architecture and design watchdog CABE. City North Islington chairman Jack Morris said: “We are delighted, after five years’ work, to have received Islington council and the mayor of London’s approval. "Finsbury Park is an excellent location but has always needed a major regeneration project to unlock its potential. "The City North development will kick start its transformation into becoming one of London’s most vibrant, exciting and attractive new quarters." Tanya Jordan, planning advisor to the scheme at Cushman & Wakefield, added: “Many years of hard work have gone into this project to enable the regeneration of Finsbury Park and it is very satisfying for us to be involved in delivering a highly complex scheme like this in the most difficult of markets.”
  • Seen the pictures. Looks very nice. Will probably shoot my rent right up.

Dammit.
    Towerblocks in Finsbury Park!! Whatever next?!!
    ye gads - what about the impact of all those extra people on the viccy line - has anyone tried to use it in the morning this week?!