New Pub?

edited April 2010 in Local discussion
Looks like the old pub on the corner of Hanley and Hornsey Road is finally being done up - well, it's been painted black and rumour has it workmen have been spotted inside. Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• edited 9:14PM
    Would be good, but don't get your hopes up. That pub's been being refurbished for five years - including a breif stint of appearing to be open. Has anyone ever frequented the Plough, corner of Tollington Park and Hornsey Rd. Only local pub I've not been in, keep meaning to pay it a visit.
    I noticed that the Plough has a CAMRA discount. It used to be my nearest pub but the big screen and fruit machine put me off. They always had loud, crap music playing too. What did the pub on the corner of Hornsey/Hanley used to be called?
  • IanIan
    edited 9:14PM
    I saw that - looked like they were readying it for a gastro-pub experience.
  • I was going to ask about the Plough too. Looks a bit unwelcoming having peered through the fire escape while the regulars have a fag outside.
    I've been in the Plough a couple of times, definitely a local's local. Everyone looks related in some way, which I guess is a nice atmosphere. I'll politely describe it as 'basic'.

Last time literally got caught short while walking the long way home. No lightbulb in the gent's cubicle made my emergency stop even more exciting!
  • Graeme - sounds like home. Brilliant.
  • AliAli
    The pub on the corner of Hanley and Hornsey Road has had lots of false dawns over the recent years. It use to be called the Railway and was a bit of a gangster pub. It used to have pretty ladies taking their clothes off on Sunday lunch times. I believe the landlord was shot dead on the premises a few years ago. There also used to be a pub a bit further up the road past the little model shop but that is now a house
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    Excellent post amazing what really goes on around here !
  • edited April 2010
    Cheers for that Misscara. I'm not sure I can picture where the former Fox and Hounds is. It always hurts to see the Hanley Arms - which I think is opposite the one that is being renovated. Read the horror story here: <http://www.derelictlondon.com/northlondonpubs_.htm>; It seems to have been turned into a mosque, and they have taped over the Victorian moudlings presumably to avoid idolatry. Crackers. A
  • edited April 2010
    Great posts on the pubs. On the subject does anyone know if the Park Tavern has always been called the Park Tavern. If you look at the old late 19th Century / early 20th Century maps there's a pub marked there but I've never in my limited googling been able to find out anything. Chatting to the landlord Dennis a while back, as I remember, he said as far as he knew it was always the Park Tavern, although used to be nicknamed the Bass House. I say as I remember, as I was slightly pissed.
    @Misscara, I've heard it called the Bass House too but can't remember from whom (probably the same person you're referring to?!)
    Top past pub posting.

Anyone have any info on The Crouch? It's the red shuttered building next to Dinner Box on Crouch Hill.
  • edited April 2010
    The Crouch was only around for a bit, but then closed when the proprietor died. They put a note on the door announcing the sad news. I never went in. I am a bit of a wimp. Though I do prefer pubs with a bit of an atmosphere, like the WLOM or the Larrick.
    And misscara is right - most recently the hanley/hornsey pub was the Blarney Stone - I enjoyed a whisky in there once on the way back from that nice pub in the Holloway estates. I felt quite brave. It was up for sale a while back - there were about 15 lettable rooms upstairs which would no doubt have produced a decent income filled with immigrant families. It was one of the big pub chains advertising it.
    The Plough is an absolute bloody nightmare. I live near it and it seems to have developed an irregular late licence on random nights, where the the crappest range of tinny music is pumped out until the wee hours and the clientele scream / fight / throw up / argue in the street / set their pitbulls on each other. Wish they had stuck to the lunchtime strip shows - a lot more salubrious then.
    Yep tonight the Plough is at it again.
    it now has a few leather chairs and a peach colour scheme. Looks like they are trying to do a "Dairy" Still not open though
    It's Open! I caught a glimpse as I passed on the bus. Lots of TVs. I think they tried to open in time of the world cup. But I didn't see what the new name is.

I've been tracking a few of these <a href="http://www.deadpubssociety.org.uk/index.php/List#N19 ">on this "dead pubs" wiki</a>

@MIsscara If you don't mind, I'll add some of your reminiscings to the wiki there. Good to record these bits of local history. I need to add the Fox and Hounds. I remember that now! It closed shortly after I moved to the area.
    As of Tuesday night, it was open but nameless _ I was walking so had time to look for a sign, but sign there was none. There's one in Greenwich like that, known locally as The Missing Sign. Maybe they're going for something similar? Or The Bar With No Name from Marvel comics.
    "The Corner Flag", I think I read as I came past on the bus.
    Oh dear, that's a footballism reference, isn't it?