Film Club (and election fiasco distraction)

lislis
edited May 2010 in General chat
hi - as a newbie i'm afraid i don't have much to contribute to either the knitting or the book club (the former i'm crap at the other i love but wouldn't keep the pace) so i wonder if anyone fancied the idea of a film club - quite simple - watch a moview / review / discuss / small heated arguments break out / drinks are bought / suggest a new one. thought it might be a) a nice way to get to know some of you nice peeps and b) genuinely interesting. plus it would involve drinks. anyone interested?

Comments

• edited 10:55PM
    Sounds like a great idea. I assume at someone's house? Prefer to meet at a pub first of course to meet prospective cinefiles. I'm already member of a book club, can't knit although have tried really don't have the patience for it!
  • lislis
    edited 10:55PM
    kinda thought we could watch the film individually, then pub to discuss as otherwise hard to coordinate - perhaps if it becomes an acclaimed film club with sponsorship we could then do socials / outings / premieres and the likes - let's see who else is in and glad you like the idea
    Interesting.
    Hi lis, sounds interesting. I go to the cinema a lot and I'd be interested in a film club, whatever form it took.

I've always wanted hoped some kind of small film pop up venue would set up in Stroud Green in a pub or something. It might be worth keeping an eye on Moors Bar on Park Road in Crouch End. They've shown some films there, and had discussions and things. At the moment they have films on Tuesdays with an environmental theme.
    Love the idea. Get twenty people and the back room of a bar and a film .... bliss. But where?
    Great idea! i'd be up for it!
    How about film based meals in local eating establishments.......... Tampopo....Japan Like water for chocollet..........Mexico You me,man,woman............Chinese Etc.
    the Larrik 'The Good The Bad and The Ugly', Venezia 'Apocalypse Now'.....
    I'd be in for the film club too!
  • IanIan
    Lucy - you still have your flag. One day the results of the flag pilot will be released and we will know whether others too will be given one.
  • lislis
    hey all - glad to see some like minded film / drink buffs out there. i kinda saw it working like a traditional book club - digest the chosen film in your own time and get together to rant / praise / drink. would be nice as you say dorothy if we can find some local action to throw into the mix. so that's six of us. good enough to kick off i would guess and hope some others wander in? would anyone like to meet up for a drink (definately half the fun of film club) say hi, have a chat about how this works and pick a cinematicographical masterpiece (or not) for perusal? maybe later this week?
    hello lis, it would be good to meet to talk about a plan. Next week a bit better for me. If we met in the Nobel on a Thursday, I might have to cross the floor from knitters to film buffs though.
    Lis, love the idea of a film club - I used to go to one at the AKA bar before The End closed down. It may be difficult to get somewhere to show it, but there are enough pubs with big screens in the area so they may be interested in showing them on a quieter night. Happy to watch at home also and just meet to discuss our opinions.
    I'm happy to pop along for a drink but not this week. Volcanic ash cloud permitting I'm good for next week.
    The Wellington in Dalston has a film club you might be interested in. It's a lovely pub, but a 45 minute walk from SGR.

Look up hteir events programme.

http://www.thedukeofwellingtonn1.com/

ooops, that doesn't look like it's gong to work...
    where's tosscat when you need him?
  • lislis
    coolio. anyone else interested - how about i suggest we get together next weds 19th in the Old Dairy to give it a go and obviously do the drinking part? can you let me know if you plan on coming so i don't end up sitting in the pub on my own like a doozer :)
    If this is when and where we're meeting (19/5, OD), count me in.
  • lislis
    I'm going to throw this back up to the top to see if we get any more interested - first meet hopefully on Weds 19th next week at the old dairy if we get enough peeps who are interested. antonis thanks for letting me know and let's hope it's more than just you and me!
    Damn, I am at a comedy night on Wednesday 19th. Still please keep me updated about what the outcome is as I would like to participate!
    Hellooooooooooo..... I would love to join you in the film discussions. What time on the 19th in the Old Dairy?
  • lislis
    great. so that's 3!!! say 7pm? should work for most people and we can drop a note out after for anyone who wants to come in the future like northlondonlass.
    As an aside,
    Not a massive film buff, but I did attend the Film Quiz 'You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat' at the Boogaloo last week. Would recommend that if you are a massive nerd and can name films from random dialogue, complete Arnie quotes or know the real name of Toto the dog from Wizard of Oz.
    Hey,
    I'd be interested too so will see you on the 19th.
    I'll come lis, I'm going to whisper you my number, could you text me when you're there, so I can find you.

I didn't know about the Boogaloo, Graeme. Think I've been there when it was something else. Looks fun, although think my memory's too shot to bits to be any good at it. I don't know the name of Dorothy's dog (I do now) but I'm going to need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.
    Am interested though my film knowledge somewhat limited to The Princess Bride and a Powell and Pressburger box set.

@Dorothy, you wanna be a farmer? etc.

Ps, dog's real name is Terry, fact fans.
    The Princess Bride and the Powell & Pressburger box are basically all the films you need. Well, maybe Zoolander too.
    I'll come on Weds to the OD. I used to host Alliance française film nights about 25 years ago in Africa...
    So are we all turning up on wednesday the 19th at 7pm in The Old Dairy to discuss what films we like and dislike and what we will watch???
    By the way how will we know who we are? should we all wear hats?
  • lislis
    it'll be something like a film group blind date. tell you what, I'll swing in a little early to bag a table in the point part of the pub by the windows. i'll wear a brown cap and be reading a book with a bright orange cover. how's about we all come along with 2 suggestions - 1 film you've seen and have an opinion about, be it good bad, or ugly, that you'd like to share, 1 film that you haven't seen but felt you should? then we can just work through them either once a week or once a fortnight? does that work for everyone? glad we have interest and will be nice to meet you all on weds :) (i do think i need to point out that i am in no way a film buff - i don't know quotes, award lists, release dates etc. i do enjoy a good film).
    Sounds like a plan i will head there for 7 I will wear a Blue Flat cap and a brown cardigan with a red rose lol... Ok i like the idea, two films. Bam! Not a film buff either