Petek; has anybody been there yet?

2»

Comments

• edited 6:36AM
    I've never thought the meat salty and eaten in their loads. What did you have?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Lamb shish and Lamb Kofte. Apart from the salt, the minced lamb was also pink in the middle from end to end :(
  • edited July 2010
    I would ordinarily order steak medium or medium rare. Leaving minced lamb or minced beef rare is a different matter. At the very least I would expect them to ask how I would like it cooked and not serve something contrary to food heath <a href="http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/healthydiet/meatq/#A221208">guidelines</a> (for good reason) - by default.

This would only be different if they made their own mince from whole, trimmed, cuts like steak tartare and ran a pretty tight kitchen in terms of hygiene (<a href="http://eforms.yourlondon.gov.uk/pub/servlet/ep.ext?extId=FSAI&Other1=5420&Other2=PI_000034640&st=scores">looks good</a>). But even if this were true, they should ask how I would like it cooked regardless.
  • AliAli
    edited 6:36AM
    Wideboy, don't worry about the advice the LibCons are going to close the Food Standards Agency down. I guess they might outsource it to MacDonalds
    @Misscara hmmm, not a fan of raw meat or raw egg. Perhaps if rather tipsy..

So it seems that I am alone in the mega-salt experiences. Puzzling.
    I was in there Sunday lunchtime, oh how I love Petek. I normally have mackrel or the fish special nowadays but I don't recall the lamb being too salty when I had it in the past. Try the fish instead Wideboy, it is awesome!
    I tend to go Petek special Kofte, that comes with a yoghurt and tomato sauce - never noticed it being pink or particularly salty. My missus usually has a chicken shish, again obviously not pink and never noticed it being salty. Maybe some of us have a high salt tolerance level, or you may be unlucky Wideboy.
    This is quite odd. Too elaborate further; The first time there was four people in our group. Three of us ended up sending it back because it was just far too salty. Two or three bites and then had to stop. Second time, it was two of us, consciously giving it another go after the last experience four month previous. Same result, crazy salty, both dishes unfortunately sent back. They were very good about it both times.

My point is just that it was three different people eating different things on two different occasions.
    Wideboy. It is odd that nobody else has had the same problem. Have you considered the option that the staff at Petek really don't like you?
    Considered, and quite likely.
  • IanIan
    @wideboy. One person could have percieved salt and then kicked [this off](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterical_contagion) Petek's food is great and Jon, the manager is really friendly and hard working. This makes up for the fact that the service can be a bit random ... I always go Petek Special and we always eat too much bread and starters.
    This thread reminded me that I hadn't been to Petek for a while so we popped in last week. I had my usual shish mix (lamb and chicken) and my other half had the mackrel special which was really good value. I was looking out for signs of excess salt but couldn't detect any. I also ate too much bread and starters. I never learn but it was all as good as I remember.
  • jj
    I once tried the place soon after it first opened - and as I found my food (lamb shish, if my memory serves me correctly) insanely salty I never considered going back.

That was my observation back then; certainly no contagious psychological factors at work.
    We eat there about twice a month and have NEVER had any problems with over-salted food. I don't add salt to my food so I'm sure I would have been able to tell!