Mmm, squirrel

Comments

• edited 11:23AM
    I have had very tasty barbequed wild squirrel recently, not from Budgens though...
    Can't deny that guy has an eye for a headline. I guess having a waitrose and a tesco next door concentrates the mind.
  • edited July 2010
    And the Guardian journo has an eye for slagging off the Mail who beat them to the story.

<blockquote>
    Actress and Viva patron Jenny Seagrove also spoke out against the sales, saying: "It is unbelievable that our wild grey squirrels are now being killed and packaged up for sale in such high-street stores.
    </blockquote>
    They're not our squirrels. Surely the red squirrel will make a comeback if the alien N American eastern grey squirrel is culled.

Wonder why folk are up in arms about putting the dead squirrels to good use and avoiding needless waste? People just like a good moan don't they.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    What else would you do but eat those bulb grubbing, tea wasting Americans ?
    My only objection is that buying something so readily available for free seems the height of laziness. And I've been vegetarian for 20 years.
    Not so readily available - they're quite hard to catch. Vicious when cornered, and they have very sharp claws and teeth. You probably have to set up some kind of weight attached to a rope for when they scamper underneath it, roadrunner-style.
    They're so trusting, though! Especially the park ones. All you'd need is some nuts, a hessian sack or similar, and a rock. Or, yes, a bucket, stick and string.
    I'm veggie too, but I'm not opposed to eating squirrel - at least they're not horrendously farmed. I had one in my kitchen yesterday after spending an hour or so trying to tame it with hazelnuts. Maybe it was seeking refuge, a vegetarian's kitchen being a pretty safe place to hide from Andrew Thornton.
  • edited July 2010
    I haven't eaten squirrel, but if you're going to eat meat, I can't see much more 'ethical' than animals that are being controlled anyway. Squirrels, muntjack and rabbit are all controlled on big estates and nature reserves. They've had good lives, good diets, they are generally killed humanely and taste good. If you can get hold of it, why not?
    The only barrier I have against eating squirrel (and pigeon for that matter) is a mental one, as I'm so used to seeing the mangy urban examples of same, and imagine they'll be delicately flavoured with smog.

Which for all I know could be delicious.
    The Crouch End squirrel story was on BBC breakfast news this a.m.!

I'm right with you on the not eating pigeon thing Emma, I do know that the pigeon served in restaurants is allegedly tasty wild pigeon but in my mind it's disgusting feral pigeon from Trafalgar Square.
    I was in the squirrel shop yesterday, because unlike the tits running our Tesco they at least have the wit to keep eminently non-perishable Vegemite in stock, and I notice that the trading name on the receipts is 'The Local Epicurean Ltd'.
  • edited August 2010
    My local squirrel has taken to digging up my window boxes several times a week. I think this is the squirrel equivalent to going and looking inside the fridge even though you know you haven't bought anything since you last looked.
    This explains why I have hardly seen any squirrels this year. My wife says it's because we haven't put out any nuts for the birds but what does she know?
    Squirrels aren't hard to catch, it turns out. I posted on another thread about the little bastards. My sister bought me a cage. Half an oatcake smeared with peanut butter later and I've got myself four squirrels on consecutive mornings. I had to release them onto parkland walk at night, which isn't allowed apparently! You're supposed to bludgeon them - quickly. I was tempted to sell them to Thornton, unbludgeoned, when I came across the story some months ago. There was also a front page story in the Metro last week about a chap who was fined £1500 for drowning one that he caught. The little wa*kers managed to make there way back to my garden and I'm sure one is excavating my lawn as we speak. If anyone wants to take any caged squirrels off my hands, I'll catch 'em, you kill 'em, we can all eat them and wear their pelts for winter head warmers.
  • FinFin
    edited 11:23AM
    Article in "The Table" section of today's Times about squirrel in Crouch End budgens, written by a journalist from Finsbury Park.
    It is perfectly legal to kill squirrels in your back garden with a Fenn Trap (£7.35 on the Internet) which you have to secure inside a narrow wooden tunnel to stop cats and children getting in....just like a big moustrap. Works every time.

I wouldn't care to eat a London backyard squirrel as they have probably ingested all kinds of muck, but I spoke to the butcher at Budgens the other day and they source their squirrels from gamekeepers at nice country estates in East Anglia and the South Coast.....will be hosting a squirrel supper as soon as they get new supplies in. I have a very yummy recipe for squirrel pate somewhere and I understand they are lovely in a stew.

This is what I found on the web about Fenn traps:

* Only approved spring traps can be used, and these are designed to kill the target animal humanely. Currently approved traps include the Fenn Mk 4 and 6, the Springer Mk 4 and 6, the Magnum and the Kania 2000.
    * These should be set in a natural or artificial tunnel. The latter can be constructed from timber or other suitable materials and the entrances of all tunnels should be restricted to reduce risks to non-target species. Children and pets can be particularly vulnerable and the use of such traps in domestic situations is not normally recommended.
    * In roof spaces, gaps between joists or other suitable areas can be used, adding materials as necessary to create a tunnel.
    * The tunnel helps to ensure that the squirrel is caught correctly. Care must be taken to ensure that the arms of the trap can operate freely. Bait such as whole yellow maize, peanuts, wheat or a mixture of these can be used to attract the animals to enter the tunnel.
    * Spring traps should be inspected at least once a day, and carcasses removed and disposed of discretely, either by burning, burying or via refuse collections when they should be securely wrapped.

There are hardly any of the little b*****ds around at the moment in my part of the SG forest - I've only seen one in my back garden all year - I wonder why? Someone must be trapping them - not me - but evidently not Budgens.
    @ Sincers, can't you just squint a bit and pretend that the squirrels are tiny, hairy council parking pests, then kill them in your poprosed massacre?
    I do that sometimes... until I notice the missus staring at me like I'm some kind of deranged lunatic.