Sainsbury's is coming to Stroud Green Road - Woody's is going!

Comments

• edited 6:54PM
    I would imagine the person running the web responses thing is quite far removed from the project managers and the planners working on the specific projects, so not necessarily privy to up to date information. Or it could be that they've looked up the wrong Stroud again...
    I saw inside the Woody's hoardings today and it definitely didn't look like it was going to be opening any time soon. Unless they've done a bit of market analysis and decided that Stroud [Green] customers prefer shopping in soviet wastelands. And not an oatcake in sight. Liars indeed.
  • MHPMHP
    edited 6:54PM
    Yes kreuzkav I know what you mean about the cashier with the muslim cap - quite unfriendly, I try to avoid him if I can. The most helpful one is the balding, bearded guy I think he's called Philip - always very pleasant and chatty.
    I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that they're working around the clock to get you a Sainsbury's as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this means that they are hammering and drilling at half past fucking eight on a Saturday morning, and as one of the poor sods that lives above the place my lie-in has been ruined. Thanks Sainsbury's.
    Maybe they'll give you some free vouchers as compensatio KRS-Dan? While Woody's is down and Sainsbury's is not up, I am quite enjoying the jovial atmosphere among the chaps who work in the shop halfway between Woodies and Tescos, due to all the new business they are getting that would have gone to Woody's. I hope they're hoarding while the good times last, though.
    They've already started opening later, especially Fridays and Saturdays when I think it's 'til 3. Presumably the late boozers they're targeting won't find Sainsbury's too useful.
    I asked the workmen today when we could expect the store to open.... another 8-9 weeks!! roughly end of Sept / beginning October.
    Man alive that is a long time to wait for oatcakes
  • IanIan
    @dion. My mother came to stay last week and bought some oatcake supplies. Won't last 8 weeks but will fill a gap.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    They are apparently referring to it as Sainsburys Finsbury Park.
    WHAT!!! That had best not be displayed anywhere.
    That's outrageous! Surely SGR.org campaigning can get them to recognise the area.
    Maybe have a pop at them/offer constructive advice here:

<a href="http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/YourIdeas/forums/15460/ShowThread.aspx">Sainsbury's have a forum?!</a>
    That's legit - Finsbury Park runs up to the five ways crossroads, where Crouch Hill and Stroud Green both start.
  • IanIan
    Try Crouch End borders?
  • edited August 2010
    This store is referred as Stroud Green Road Local by Sainsbury's, although some plans refer to 'Crouch Hill Local' and one of the plans for the external building changes shows 'Crouch Hill' on one of the smaller signs. However, the approved advert application (p100697) replaces this with 'Cash Machine'. The person who's responding to the online queries is wrong, you're better off looking at the planning applications (or asking me). No need to panic everybody - it'll be open in a couple of months, I promise!
    @ADGS – in what sense is that the case? FP ward stops at Tollington Park, which is about as far north as I would regard as ‘Finsbury Park’. There’s overlap between SG and FP, but by your definition all or pretty much all of SG would be in FP.
    I don't care what the definition is, surely Stroud Green is partly a state of mind. Much like one's age.
    Pretty much all of Stroud Green? It runs the length of Stapleton Hall Road! Where it ends and Crouch Hill begins is stickier, but if I hear anyone referring to SGR as Stroud Green, I just assume they are or have spent too much time with estate agents.
    I like the 'state of mind' line. If you do want to go a bit deeper though: It's true that roads were named after the places they lead to. Historical maps show us that the original 'Stroud Green' was based at 'Fiveways' and centred on Stapleton Hall. It's not true that the original settlement was by the launderette - Stapleton Hall Road and Ferme Park Road were not driven through and developed until the 1880s and 1890s due to the opposition of the owners of the Stapleton estate. Some villas were built on Tollington and Upper Tollington quite early in the C19th (you can see survivors on Charteris Road), but the rest of the area east of SGR and west of the railway is 1870s - the residents called the area 'Stroud Green' - we know because of the records of the early resident's associations (I guess that Woodstock Road Association must be a survivor). So there's the original SG 'village' at fiveways, followed by the 1870s area south of Stapleton Hall Road, and then finally the 1880s 'Upper East Side' south of Mount View Road (Hornsey Vale is 1890s). Incidentally 'Crouch Hill' is a relatively new name - in the C18th the area north of SG where Crouch Hill and MVR meet now was known as 'Mount Pleasant' - hence the streets NE of Stapleton Hall. Finsbury Park is just a park, a train station and name that usurped bits of SG, Highbury and Tollington. Anyway, my point is that it doesn't make sense to say that FP 'goes up to fiveways'. Given the history and the geography we might fairly say that SG is everything east of SGR from Mount View to Seven Sisters, with an overlap with FP south of Upper Tollington Park. West of the road is anybody's guess. Shit I'm a geek. A
    One more thing - Crouch Hill is just a hill. The Crouch End /Stroud Green border is Mount View Road! A
  • Crouch Hill... just a hill? [spits out coffee in shock]
  • edited August 2010
    An oatcake update from Sainsbury's below. Nice to see they've expanded their knowledge since the email quoted earlier in this thread :-)

"I've spoken to our property department and I'm pleased to tell you that our Stroud Green store will be opening up in early September. At this moment in time, we don't have any details if North Staffordshire oatcakes will be stocked.

"I have found their website which gives you information how to order these lovely oatcakes. Please click on to www.staffordshireoatcakes.com for more details.

"We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and hope you enjoy shopping at our new store soon."
    Returning to the urgent & key question of Tesco and the bag reuse points, on Friday I got two points for using one very capacious bag.
  • AliAli
    I have just received a £5 pound money card from Tesco’s for complaining about the reply I got when I complained to their feedback web site that is on the top of the receipts. The first response I got was that it wasn’t possible for Tesco’s staff to deal with issues if they weren’t pointed out to them ! Corporate arrogance, more likely poor training of the staff dealing with the feedback. I was quite furious so went back to them and pointed out that their staff would have to be blind not see the flash flooding near the fridge’s every day and that the queue lengths are completely ridiculous on occasions. Got a further response by e-mail from a manager and quite a nice apologetic letter for getting it wrong first time around along with the money card.