i've got damp!!

edited September 2010 in Local discussion
i'm bored even writing this so apologees to those reading, but can anyone recommend anyone who can sort out damp for a not exorbitant price?

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 10:17AM
    Have a look at the Ch4 website at te 4Homes section . Sara Beeney has done a lot of shows on CH4 over the past few weeks and damp and it's cures featured quite heavily.
  • edited 10:17AM
    We've used a company called JB Ward. They were good and only did what was necessary. Cost was about £750, which whilst not cheap, was a whole lot better than the £2.5k another larger company quoted.
  • valval
    edited 10:17AM
    tgot:
    It depends on what is causing the damp. For example if you are suffering from black mould, that is one thing. If you have water seeping down because of a broken roof tile, that is another. People might be able to give you practical advice if they knew the reason.
    Already mentioned by Ali, but to add further - they tackled two types of damp successfully on the last episode of C4's "Help! My house is falling down" which was actually a good, genuinely useful program.

Website : <a href="http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/help-my-house-is-falling-down/">http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/help-my-house-is-falling-down/</a>;

tgot, If you can say what the specific problem is you may get more practical advise. We had damp internal walls around several windows whenever it rained until someone pointed out that the external pointing was cracked around most of the window frames. £4 and one tube of quality external mastic later and the problem was gone.
    the problem seems to be mixed.

i'm in a basement and we had problems in a few rooms which i got sorted with damp proof course and tanking. now it's just spread to other walls and there are some on all the corners of the walls, another issue around a fireplace (i think to do with salt but don't really understand) and some god old-fashioned rising damp.

plus some damp drying out from a leak.
    phew! think that's it for now! will defo try c4 website and the company recommended. thanks
    I'm using a builder at the moment who does quite a lot of damp work and has tanked basements etc. Let me know if you want name and number.
    I've got damp in my shed. Lots of black slime, it's grim. I've had damp before in my flat of course, but damp (rot) in a small wooden structure seems to get a hold at a remarkable speed.
    We're not all lucky enough to have sheds
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I had two sheds last year. I then took one down - I didn't want some Prescott-esque "two-sheds" handle.
    Yes Misscara, it is the new cedar clad thing. Seems such folly now. Hoping guttering and ventilation will sort it.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Now there's a thought. Been drinking? Me too.