Local Gangs

2»

Comments

• edited 12:08PM
    I recently looked up the crime stats of High Barnet versus Finsbury Park for the month of August this year.

High Barnet is quite suburban with a mix of working class and middle class and very old people and feels very sleepy and outer london.

High Barnet had more than double the burglaries! Something like 3 in Finsbury park versus 18 or 9. Sorry to be vague but it was quite a few more. In terms of violence to the person High Barnet had more than double again.

They have a smaller police station too with less visible police. Maybe that has something to do with it.

The grass is not always greener really.
    Some of my friends, caught in the "white flight", refer to High Barnet as New Crouch End, since they all used to live round here (there) but needed to afford a bigger place with growing families etc. Discussion topic: Does starting a family drive you to crime?
  • AliAli
    edited 12:08PM
    Families need schools and I think they are better there
    the senior schools are better but there are a lot more outstanding and good primaries here than there.

I think its an odd place, not a nice park or playground there or much green space to visit. Is not at all like Crouch End in a good way. It doesnt have all the nice drop ins we have here and parks. But it has a Waitrose and Pizza Express if you are into that and some dire restaurants.

I might be driven to crime if I lived there.
  • AliAli
    my thoughts as well I wish the Senior Schools around here were better
    @Kreuzkav
    I walk round in a cocky manner sometimes... But I am cocky so I guess it's OK.

I go to nice restaurants as well, but in a cocky manner.

I was also the victim of an attempted Mugging in January at the cash point outside Tesco. It was one guy, who ran away when I punched him in the face pretty hard.

I have not really seen that many gangs, certainly nowhere near the amount as when I lived on the Stepney/Bethnal Green border a couple of years back.

It is a fact that kids will gather in groups, I did it as a kid in Liverpool, and I am sure that we freaked out some people. When in reality the worst we were up to was smoking fags and drinking cider.

Like with all sides of society there will always be a section that misbehaves, be it grown ups or Kids. This may involve stabbing, or fighting, this may involve playing music loudly or whatever.

But in reality the crime figures do not stack up that gangs are any more dangerous than any other section of society, most gang violence is gang on gang, which isn't better, but is comparable to other demographics, such as football fans, or students or drunk people.

It really isn't Bloods and Crips, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't need addressing.

If you really want to address it then maybe you can look to helping via a mentoring service, or getting involved in community projects. http://www.do-it.org.uk/magazine/features/children/mentoring

The government certainly are not going to do anything about it, especially a Tory government, so it is up to the people to help and try and change a very disillusioned and disenfranchised section of society.
    JFJ I'm fixing your link a) to show off the fact that I've finally learned how to do it and b) because I would like to read it and I hope that others will too. <http://www.do-it.org.uk/magazine/features/children/mentoring>; Mentoring is a great thing to do and something I would like to explore.
    Yes, mentoring is brilliant fun and a really rewarding experience. I would recommend a local charity - <a href="http://www.friendshipworks.org.uk/">Friendship Works</a>. I volunteered with them for a few years and don't have a bad word to say about the whole experience.
    @Junglefacejack -- Do you really categorise assault and stabbing as 'misbehaving'? The same as playing music loudly? Hanging around the corner drinking, causing trouble is one thing but I think stabbing someone crosses the line, no?
    @JungleFaceJake "The government certainly are not going to do anything about it, especially a Tory government, so it is up to the people to help and try and change a very disillusioned and disenfranchised section of society."

Is this not exactly what David Cameron is talking about with the big society idea. That rather than expecting the Government to change society we need to make the changes ourselves.
  • edited October 2010
    @: JoeV..

Yes stabbing is Bad.. But Knife crime is not an exclusive issue with Gangs, it is just highlighted more as people need something to be scared of and Gangs are a very visual target.

There is a problem with Weapon possession in gangs, as it is a status thing, as with guns, and Dogs.

Everyday, people are killed through Stabbing, by people who are actually not in a gang.

Everyday people are killed by reckless driving, you know those scary 'Nissan Micra' gangs.. Or the frightening 'Soccer Mum' Gang.

Everyday people are robbed raped and beaten, by people who are not in gangs.. The 'Affectionate Uncle' Gang, or 'Drunken Barfly' Gang.

The gang Crime being highlighted in the press is a tiny percentage of crime in this country. It definitely does not need to be ignored, but it does need to be talked about rationally.

Gangs, obesity, education, transport, policing, dog fouling, antisocial behaviour, social injustice, the dived between rich and poor etc etc etc...... all need to be tackled with rational thought and discussion, and prolonged positive action. Not scare mongering and prejustice. If you don't like it then do something about it.

Yes it's bad that some gangs stab people... but then it's bad that some people just get stabbed.. or shot.... or raped... or bullied... or discriminated against... whether by gangs or not.

Don't pretend they are not there, but also don't pretend they are worse than they are.

@ missannie,
    Thanks for your technical wizardry - I still have no clue how to do it.
    @ Yagamuffin

You are actually right, but unfortunately this is passing the buck by the government.

It would be much better if any government actually decided to invest in education and social welfare and make a proper change.

David Cameron is jumping on the bandwagon that has already been rolling for years by telling people to 'DIY'.

It is a cop out.

I involve myself because of inactivity from the government, past and present.

All DC has done is say, 'fuck it, you can do it.... but I give you my blessing...'

So he gets no credit from me, except maybe highlighting the need for more people to get involved. But he should be saying he will support community projects and help the poor as PM. His 'Big Society' thing might be a good idea, but it is an alarming idea for the man supposedly in charge.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm so pleased to be called a technical wizard. I thought that it required magical powers but thanks to Arkady's instructions it turns out that all you need to do is this... "to make something a link you just put < > around it. You also need to have 'markdown' selected at the bottom".
    Thanks missannie
  • edited October 2010
    There is a "gang" on the estate where I live. I was curious about them so I googled them and found the following:

1. They and their rival "gang" like to post films on Youtube of themselves fooling around next to the name plate of the rival gang's estate. This appears to be a kind of cyber version of knock down ginger.

2. They also like to post footage of themselves attempting to rap over tinny hip hop music presumably played through their phones as they swagger round the estate. Their efforts owe a great debt to all the East Coast/West Coast stuff that I remember from the 90s - it just makes you chortle when they are "dissing" Upper Holloway... bless. I think they will be very embarrassed when they grow up.

So my local gang seems much more in the beer and fags category that JFJ identified. I think we are glamourising them a bit by calling them gangs, which allows them to come over all Tupac.

Impressive multimedia skills though - they've obviously been paying attention in ICT.

Edit: when I say the stuff I remember from the 90s, I mean I remember listening to it in my bedroom - just in case you were wondering...
    I have no statisitcs, but there are quite a few murders on and around SGR every year which makes me feel there is a high murder rate Maybe this is normal. I wasn't sugesting that we live in a very dangerous place. I'm sure Barnet is worse! I just couldn't believe that people feel there are no gangs here. I have seen gang activity. I wasn't comparing it with other places.

As regards gangs walking around in a cocky manner, it is not just confined to gangs. However sometimes it can be quite irritating ( whether gang or individual).
  • AliAli
    Not sure if this helps as it is for Haringey but does give some idea of numbers <http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-n4.html>;
    As far as I'm aware there was one murder on SGR this year - the horrific murder of a wife by her husband. It always seems to me that the most shocking crimes happen in the countryside with random shootings, spree killings etc. I think that Stroud Green's very calm in comparison.
  • edited October 2010
    I was away from SGR for over a year, but the year before I left, 2007, there were at least 4 murders on and around SGR that I knew of. Maybe more I didn't know of.

Despite this, I walk home at all times of the day and night and I won't restrict my movemenst and I've never had any hassle. I guess you're right about the home counties, but I witnessed the aftermath of the stabbing at FP tube station in June and it was horrific. First and hopefully last time I will ever witness that type of thing. I guess it was bad luck.

And I do agree that most gangs are fairly innocent. Turf war, a bit of attitude etc. As I said earlier, I just couldn't believe people feel there's no gang activity here. It's everywhere from SGR to Milton Keynes broadway. I bet some of the gangs like to carry old folk's shopping home though!
    There definitely haven't been as many yellow Police Incident boards along SGR recently as there were a few years back. Though even then it tended to be obviously gang-on-gang, so it didn't really bother me.
    Stroud Green is now a relatively safe place to live. Further to Ali's link, crime data is also available at [ward-by-ward level](http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigures/index.php?borough=yr&period=year). It turns out that Stroud Green ward is much safer than not only the London average but England as a whole, with 10 violent crimes per 1,000 people each year, vs English average of 17. Tollington ward has more violent crime in line with the London average (around 27 per 1,000), while Finsbury Park ward including the station and the stretch of Seven Sisters Road has much more at 50 per thousand, which is not particularly surprising and just shows how quickly things change when you travel half a mile across town. The definition of violent crime here includes all crimes of violence against the person. The most serious violent crime is far less prevalent, by a factor of around 20.
    Good link to interesting stats Alex.

Think it backs up some arguments on this thread.

It isn't the best place in London to live, but it certainly isn't all that bad