Book club: Snow Falling on Ceders by David Guterson, January 20th

The next book club meeting will be on January 20th, and this month's book choice is 'Snow Falling on Cedars' by David Guterson. It won the 1995 PEN/Faulkner Award and here's a bit about it: "Set in 1954 on Washington's remote San Piedro Island, the novel begins with the mysterious death of a local fisherman. It rouses the community's postwar distrust of their Japanese-American neighbors, and the island's Kabuo Miyamoto is accused of the fisherman's murder. The incident also awakens feelings within Ishmael Chamber, the town's newspaperman who has long loved Kabuo's wife, Hatsue. What results is a taut, many-angled story, both rich and satisfying. Guterson looks to Anton Chekhov and Jane Austen as models of style and structure, and though he has set his story in the past, is not old fashioned." Source: <http: www.bookpage.com="" books-10011919-snow+falling+on+cedars=""> There are some interesting-looking questions for discussion here: <http: reading-group-center.knopfdoubleday.com="" 2010="" 01="" 07="" snow-falling-on-cedars-guide=""></http:> NEW MEMBERS ARE WELCOME! Hope to see you at the Old Dairy at 8pm on Thursday 20th January. We usually sit in the restaurant bit where it's quieter.</http:>

Comments

• edited 6:00AM
    By the way there are more than 90 free copies available on readitswapit.co.uk: <http://readitswapit.co.uk/BookDetails.aspx?BookID=299>;
    Thanks for the tip!
    Had a really nice time at our Christmas do - but ashamed that 2 glasses of wine seemed to go to my head. I really can't take my drink anymore!
    I had a lovely time , and a great time with the naughty knitters afterwards too. Merry Christmas one and all and I'll see you soon.
    ooh that's a really good book - I read it ages ago. I might dig it out and look at it again and come along!
    Amazing - I've been looking for a book club since moving to the area a whole 6 weeks ago - how many members are there, and how often are the meets? I'd love to come along!
    hello gregspar, and welcome to stroud green! lovely to hear your interest. there are probably about 20 people who have been to the book group since it started in january, with an average of six or seven each time. lots of people come and go depending on the book choice or their busyness. we aim to meet once a month, usually on a thursday (although we used to do mondays) and we're always open to changes in location, book ideas etc. please do come and join us next time!
    Hi Gregspar - as Sophie says, you'd be very welcome! We usually sit towards the back on the Dairy, in the restaurant bit, sometimes behind the curtain and we put the books on the table we sit at so new people can find us.
    Thanks ladies, look forward to meeting you then! Thanks too Donna for introducing me to read it swap it, how did I not know that existed?!?!
  • Great read.
    You'd be most welcome to come and join in Krappy.
    Really struggling with the book argh! it's lovely and well-written but... can't seem to get into it. Hopefully will manage by the 20th but basically, I'd start now if you haven't already and want to make it!
    I'm starting today - hope I haven't left it too late!
    I've just joined the site and would love to have come along, but definitely no time to read the book between now and then!

I'm reading his short stories, 'The Country Ahead Of Us, The Country Behind', and they're right up my street. Moody, atmospheric, less action/more inference. Don't know how the book compares!

Edward
    Edward it would be great if you came!
    I started off really enjoying it but am struggling a bit now... probably because I haven't had a lot of time. Agree with Donna, it's lovely and well-written but....

I also enjoyed the Christmas do, but unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow (20th Jan). Look forward to the next one.
    I haven't finished the book and I am undecided if I like it or not. I am coming tonight though so see you all later!
    i can't come any more :-( thursdays are always awful at work. sorry. have fun. p.s. i thought it was pretty trashy.
    I haven't finished it either and I'm having to work late. Have fun, I look forward to hearing about what book is chosen for next month.
    I will be there at 8! Hope I'm not the only one...
    So weird... Went to our usual place behind the curtain and what do I find? ANOTHER BOOK CLUB! Even more weirdly, they were reading last month's choice: The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It was like that scene from Shaun of the Dead where they pass a group living an identical life.
    SG Book Club +1? Love it Donna!