From April,Islington Council Will Fine People For Not Recycling.

Comments

• edited 4:32AM
    I don't think so as his writing style is quite different.
  • IanIan
    edited 4:32AM
    I assumed SG Steve was indeed TT.
    Does this mean I can fine the council back, when they spill stuff from the green recycling bin all over our front garden and leave it there, then lob the green boxes back however they choose, with or without lids that end up all over the place up and down the road?

Probably not, which in my view is the fatal flaw in the entire plan.

And if we're voting, I'd say society sinking to the point where the authorities are sifting through people's rubbish would definitely fall on the 1984 side of a debate
    That's why wheelie bins are a better option. The council could spend the money on introducing them rather than paying people to spy on our rubbish. How do they enforce the rule on a shared bin. Ours bins are shared between four flats.
    @kreuzkav I happened to be awake at 5am and read your offensive and rude comments about Andy before you deleted them. It seems that you often write really quite nasty things about members of this forum late at night and then delete them in the morning. I can't imagine why as it's cowardly, disrupts the thread and makes the comments of others look unwarranted when actually they are very restrained responses to what you posted. I thought sg steve was TT too, but then I thought that TT was The Northern Heights for a while - unexpected bits of Latin being the main reason.
    I've been out of the country for a couple of days. Sounds like i've missed some fun and games. I can confirm that this is the only id i post with. So, what did i miss?
    @ Miss Annie. I agree that taking down the comments was not the best thing to do but I regretted getting so carried away. The comments in themselves didn't use any offensive language and were a retort to Sg Steve's abusive comments to me. I generally avoid this board after too many drinks. I didn't abuse Andy but thought he was responsible for the comments as he went on about parking a lot. It was bad judgement. And two of the comments were about an anti irish remark on here made by SG Steve (whoever he is) I don't think the remark 'paddy' is acceptable and is racist/tribalistic. If it is appropriated it should be by an Irish person the same way as derogatory remarks about black or gay people should be appropriated by them.

No one has raised any criticism about the 'paddy' remark. I know it's not such a big deal but it is a bit insulting to many Irish people. I know Andy is not posing as Sg Steve.
    And this is the first time for 8 months I have taken down comments. I think you're being a bit OTT now. I think I might have done it once or twice about SL.
    Ah man, I always miss the juicy stuff.
    I live on the Haringey side, so don't know about Islington's arrangements. As Siolae says, the problem arises when you don't have any outside space. I used to live in a tiny flat in south London and the ridiculous Borough of Croydon arrangements were two massive boxes, paper etc in one, glass and tins in the other. I had absolutely no outside space - not even for a bin - and my front door opened onto the street. I had to keep two oversized boxes in the kitchen and it took about three weeks for me to fill them. On that basis I can understand why some people don't bother. If the councils want to enforce recycling they need to consider different living situations and make it easy for everyone to recycle.
    Oh is Stroud Green Steve! I thought it was Sergeant Steve and he was repping the local old bill - although I did wonder at the rhetoric. Bit thick.
    I thought it was Sergeant Steve too, unitl his comments got out of hand and quite abusive.
    Actually I thought he was quite funny in a pissed on the laptop sort of way. Incidentally I am a paddy and don't consider it a term of abuse any more than taff, yank, mick etc
    You're probably right. I really got the wrong impression last night. I thought it was on the wind up, but when I read it in the morning It was funny. I like the fight club references as I'm a big fan of the film

However, I don't really like the 'paddy' reference. I'm nearly 40 and to me it's like the word 'nigger'. Maybe you're a bit younger. Should only be appropriated in my view by the Irish etc.
    @ Kreuzkav. I am older than you. Not prepared to reveal how much older. Have also had direct experience of anti-Irish racism during the period when the IRA were bombing the mainland, including being hounded out of a flat at one point.
    I think I remember it. I'd just moved back from Ireland. Couple in Wood Green forced at gunpoint by the SAS out of their home.
  • edited March 2011
    I remember those days too. I was born here but moved with my parents back to Ireland when I was 8. Moved back at 18 over 20 years ago. I remember working in crap jobs before I went to university and people who read the Sun would make jokes about the Irish. I guess I'm not so tolerant. I want to punch and get angry if someone abuses me or my family.
    No that wasn't me, what I meant was I was living in a flat and the neighbours continually harrassed us because we were Irish until we got out. Lots of being called Irish bitch, IRA bitch etc. We did have special branch round once after the neighbours phoned them and said we were in the IRA.
    My mother once came to visit me in the 90s. She then went up to visit a friend in Leeds. She went out for a drink and some wanker in the pub rang the police to say that my mother and her friend looked like a couple who were wanted for a bombing. They were interogatted for hours. The pub manager was so angry at the man who reported them. The police had to use a bedroom over the pub as an interview room. Many other stories like this.
    Kreuz-chav - get a grip man. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. That's a bit of Bill's riting for ya. I ain't old Bill though,wot u on about gnar'wot'i'mean? Saying I'm old bill - getting offensive now.

K -chav -I think you are being hypocritical because you did not complain when I called people from Brussels , "Brussel Sprouts". A case of double standards from you there Kreuz-chav methinks.You aren't standing up for Brussel Sprouts are you kreuzchav,I mean the people not the green vegetable u eat at xmas, - shows a lack of logic.

Irish people have done alot of work on English roads over the years and filled in a lot of potholes on English roads over the years and for that as an occasional motorist,I am gratefull for. I suppose that's racist is it Kreuzchav.It's not I'm saying thank you for tarmacing the roads. The Irish built half the English roads for heavens sake.

Back to the fines for recycling issue on Monday hopefully when everyone has sobered up after the weekend.
    Of course I will stand up for my mother. She's Irish. If she was from Brussels i'd hate your Sprouts remarks. Both my parents are great people. Neither of them worked on the roads but worked hard over here. I know now that you are Tollington Tom. I guess you've come back and you're now trying to get in with the incrowd by having a go at me. Fair enough. I'm game. You scuttled off a month or so ago to regroup and find a strategy inwards.
    Out of interest, do people think it's OK for non-Irish people to call Irish people 'paddys'?
    Hmmm

Now I know I am new but am i wrong in thinking that telling Irish jokes or jokes on skin colour or religion just the same as picking on someone just because of there class?

I come from up north, Bradford to be exact and would describe myself as working class to the core, but with a education and knowing things can be better I changed my life, but still want to be working class. Its just logical that people want to better themselves. If I was to stay static it would drive me nuts.

Oh and I read the Sun, I think you pick on thing that look like a soft target.

Class is nothing, age is nothing, sex is nothing as is colour, creed, religion etc etc.

The only thing that counts are people be they working class or not.
    Oh and being dyslexic and frankly not giving a dam about what people think about me if my posts look like at 7yr old has taken a stab at grammar, spelling and punctuation so be it.
    yes, I agree. Sg Steve is an opportunist. I wonder what his/her other ID is. After the last post I realise I might not be so misguided.
    Whatever game you're playing, there's no excuse for racism, sexism etc. I know it might seem like PC claptrap but it's what a modern decent person should consider. Class still exists and needs to be thought about. It's everywhere. It hasn't gone away. It mights seem like it has but it poses as culural and social capital. It's not just about money.

We are all just people doesn't wash with me.

I don't believe the hype of the Conservative's 'big society'. And New Labour were just as bad.
    Kreuzkav - I was thinking about your comments about Ireland.Because it wasn't so long ago that the signs "no blacks,no dogs, no irish" were in the windows of north london homes.So I watched a video on youtube called "Belfast:us and them".It's about the troubles,any other youtube videos worth watching? I wouldn't walk down The Falls Rd making tongue in cheek comments in an English accent though!

I agree that class is very important in England.For example you probably would not get a job in a top magic circle law firm in the city of London if you were not well spoken even if you had the right qualifications.That is pure discrimination against people with say a strong regional accent.But law firm bosses would say it's what clients want so the discrimination continues,it's not fair and England was never fair.England is like a club where they don't tell you the rules and if "you aren't one of us" you are excluded,unfair but true.

And er, back to the issue of the council fining us for not recycling.
    I don't think that anyone was saying that racism or sexism is acceptable. The point is that neither is singling people out because you perceive that they are a different class to you, despite the fact that you know very little about them. Someone who treats people (from whatever background) with respect and decency has class, someone who doesn't has not. That is the only kind of class that is important.
    Ok, but I want to point out that

"We are all just people doesn't wash with me"

Must imply that in your eyes all people ARE NOT equal?

People are the most inportant thing for me regardless of anything, It should not matter who or what they are, they bleed red blood, breathe air and want what's best for their children.

Class does still exist, and it should remain, this country as a whole works, god knows how at times but it does, class is as British as tea and crumpets and hating the Germans.

I am northern working class and proud of it, would not want to change that for a moment and don't care what people say about it, just dont call me a Manc.

Now back to the topic in hand, throw stuff away.

There, job done.
    I don't think any class is better than any other. I just think that the site can come across as a big advertisement for money people in Stroud Green and steps aside and feels uncomfortable about any dialouge about how SG can be a divided place.

I take it as a given that false identies and collusion has occured in setting up the dialogue over the last day or so. I though checking online at 5 am seemed odd. My life over the last six months or so has been a bit sad but not that sad.

I still feel refering to people as 'paddys' is quite low, whatever your agenda and is really quite a hurtful remark to many Irish people.

By the way, I have an English accent and would probably come across more middle class than working class. But most people on here seem to feel, that's the way it is. Winners and losers!