Music where?

edited April 2011 in Local discussion
I know about Camden but where would I go to find a good Indy club?

Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and the such?

Comments

• edited 1:54AM
    Well, it isn't massively indie, but see what you think of Feeling Gloomy's <a href="http://www.feelinggloomy.com/page.php?id=16">playlist</a>?
    I like Feeling Gloomy, doesn't the chap that runs it live in SG somewhere? Boogaloo is great for indie music too.
    Nambucca has re-opened at 556 Holloway Road. Many bands played here including The Long Blondes, Babyshambles... A few streets up from the Holloway Odeon if heading towards Archway. A love/hate relationship from many indie fans as some saw it as a dive. I only went about five times but always had a good time and never saw the grime. Maybe the darkness and friendly company hid it.
  • IanIan
    edited 1:54AM
    No help at all but this thread reminds me that I miss the Garage. Many many happy Friday and Saturday nights spent there dancing to indie music. There was nothing quite like it.
    The Garage was the best gig venue in London. I haven't been to the revamped Relentless Garage but I haven't heard good things about it.
    It's in 'Not Stroud Green' but Wednesday night here looks quite splendid... <http://www.nottinghillartsclub.com/>;
    It is! I love NHAC.
    A lot of the Silver Bullet's events are indie, and it's about as local as a venue can be, but that's more at the electro/fashionable young person's indie than the Madchester end of things. For which flavour of retro yo do probably want Camden, or maybe Baggy Mondays at the Social if that's still going.

NHAC is - or was, I've not been in years - an overpriced, self-regarding breeze block. Hateful place.

You didn't have to be able to see the grime in Nambucca, you could smell it! And that even before the smoking ban. Though I'm told that since being CLEANSED BY FIRE it is better.

I've not been to the Garage as much since it reopened, but my experience has been that while the downstairs has been quite sensitively retooled and improved, upstairs has lost a bit of character, which is a shame.
  • edited April 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.