Tadpoles

valval
edited April 2011 in Local discussion
If you have a pond and would like some frog tadpoles, let me know.

Comments

• edited 10:39AM
    I've got a pond with lots of newts at the moment. Do you think they get along with frogs?
  • valval
    edited 10:39AM
    Yes, Dorothy, they get on well in my ponds, although newts eat frogspawn and small tadpoles. That is why I interfered with nature and reared a handful of frogspawn in a big container. Now I have hundreds of tadpoles. If I put them all in my ponds I will have a plague of frogs. I like frogs because they eat slugs and the tiny ones are exquisite miniatures. (I tried to whisper to you but it did not work. I am in Lancaster Road. Is that near you?)
    Yes I'd love some then, Lancaster Rd is very near me. I could whisper you my number
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I wouldn't put too many frogs into a pond that has goldfish <http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/cases/goldfish01.htm>;
    Aaaagh. Stroud Green killer tadpoles. Tell Simon Pegg someone.
    thanks Valerie!
    My pond had at least a hundred frogs and corresponding quantities of spawn. Now, not one tadpole. I have heard a report of a pond on Mountview road where the same is true. Maybe its a bad year for tadpoles in ponds, maybe the pond is sick, maybe the goldfish ate the spawn, maybe those two blessed crows which have taken all the pond snails took the tadpoles, my neighbour says she saw them taking a fish.
    Val, we could do with some tadpoles for our pond at St Aidans Primary School. I live very near to you and could collect.
    Thanks for the tadpoles, Valarie. I think they're alright. I'm going to make the lettuce puree mixture later for them and see if they come up in a frenzy.
    @omotn: Is there a plague of crows here in Stroud Green? I am getting woken up early by a couple of crows cawing their heads off outside my window at six o'clock in the morning. I've seen them dive bombing in Victoria Road too.

They're really noisy. One of them sounds just like a dalek.
    We'd love some if you still have any left. We are quite close by to you . I will whisper you my number.
    Thanks for the Tadpoles, plants and pond weed. The children enjoyed introducing them to our pond.
    @krappyrubsnif there are just 2 where I live which is on the borders of Stroud Green (i.e. Crowch End), but there are many in Finsbury Park, they hang about at the road end of the lake which I guess is where passers by feed them.
    Try to think of the 6am start as a delightful caw-l of nature, an opportunity to enjoy the drought for even more of the daylight hours.
    I had no idea that having a pond in your garden was as common as it appears to be in Stroud Green. I've never know anyone in London to have a pond. Or outside of London for that matter. Oh, there was one in someone's front garden at the top end of Evershot Road until recently.

Really? Do that many people have a pond?
    Mine is more like a sunken washing up bowl.
  • AliAli
    I call ours The Lake. We had two frogs who laid spawn but I am convinced a couple of cats who have been stalking them got them. Decided to defend the property from all these cats that seem to wonder around thinking every garden is theirs and can use it as toilet etc. So far not seen a act since we installed on of these. <https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolbank-STV610-Defenders-Mega-Sonic-Repeller/dp/B000NR8Q1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304517741&sr=8-1>; When researching these devices I came across one which will squirt water at the offending cat when it approaches the pond. It has a movement sensor which sets off the squirt as the cat approaches !
    @missisclack My uncle lives almost at the end of City Airport's runway and has had a thriving pond in his back garden for about 20 years. He breeds Koi carp in it and wages a constant battle against the local herons. My nan and grandad had a splendid pond in Walthamstow, two pals in Crouch End have small but lovely ponds and one of my neighbours in Moray Rd has a small pond. If you want to have it as a wildlife pond, or just keep plain old fairground goldfish, a pond is very low maintainance - you don't need filters or fountains or any of that jazz. You don't need a big garden either, a pond just a few feet across will attract all kinds of amphibious creatures.
  • valval
    I've still got tadpolestogo, and not for burgers or sandwiches, or was it omelettes someone whispered to me?! Please pass on the word to anyone you know with a pond. They are eating me out of house and home, I'm slaving away to provide them with liquidised green lettuce and fish food. Can't wait for them to leave home and earn their living in a pond. Should have left the frogspawn the the pond for the newts to gobble up. But now I feel protective to the little creatures. "I didn't ask to be born!" they'd say. But not a Mothers' Day card between them!
    Pond is very clear after the rain, I wish it would stay that clear all the time. I can get a really good look at the newts and tadpoles. Loads of the critters. Tadpoles still just a lump with a tail. I thought they'd grow quicker. Are yours ahead of mine Val?
  • valval
    Ali, do you still want tadpoles? I whispered to you but have not heard anything.
  • valval
    edited May 2011
    It has been a great pleasure meeting so many local pond owners - and their offspring. So far seven people have helped me out, but I still have some tadpoles to spare. Some of them have back legs now.
    Ooh, mine haven't got legs yet. I wonder if it's because you feed them on liver?
    Mine don't have legs yet either : (
    Depends on what kind of frog they are sincers, they can take a while to develop. Don't forget to give them a way to get out of the water as soon as they sprout their little legs.
    yes, I've made them a mini ledge from bricks. Sometimes they like to veg-out on it. btw, thanks again Val!
  • valval
    Don't worry if tadpoles haven't got back legs yet. They all develop at different rates. Only about one third of mine have them. They won't try to get out of pond until they have four legs, anyway, but some bigger ones like basking in shallow water.
  • valval
    I am happy to announce that all my spare tadpoles have now been re-homed! By the way, don't bother feeding them with liver. Although they ate a little meat, I found all the uneaten bits of liver in the bottom of container. But I have seen tadpoles go mad for raw mincemeat. Best wishes to all pondies.