Nick Drake ' Riverman'

edited June 2011 in General chat
Heard this most haunting, beautiful, song today on the radio today. Tried to access it on You Tube, but the video would not play properly, so I gave up. I have never heard of the guy, so I am relying on my fellow Londoners to help. Are any of you fans?

Comments

• JimJim
    edited 12:45PM
    Nick Drake is one of the greatest british singer guitar song writers ever.

Genuis but he had a troubled mind and life but great artist.

I love the songs "The Day is Done"

and Things Behind The Sun.

Amazing music.

What a great find for you.
  • edited 12:45PM
    It's a great track. This link appears to be working OK for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idcaRTg4-fM

(Waiting for the yawn).
    I'm very jealous that you are just finding out about him. He made 3 albums before he died in 1974 and almost all of the songs are great.

If you're searching around on YouTube, there is a fairly lengthy documentary called "A Skin Too Few" that tells his (quite sad) personal story and is illustrated with some lovely pastoral images to accompany the music.

Perfect soundtrack for a stroll down the Parkland Walk.
  • IanIan
    edited 12:45PM
    Ahhh Nick Drake. I'm also a fan. "One of these things first" is my personal favourite. The record store at the bottom of Crouch Hill as you go into Crouch End usually has one or two of his albums in stock.
    Thank goodness for you guys. I cried when I heard 'The Riverman,' It is so heartbraking.
  • IanIan
    edited June 2011
    I'll [Yawn]() on tosscat's behalf Here's [my song pick]()
    if you like the edge in Nick Drake then try Tim Hardin as well - both play exquisite tunes to slit your wrists to - but Nick certainly uses a rustier razor

better late than never
    Nick Drake became much more famous after his death; a bit like many famous painters. Do we know of other contemporary musicians who shared the same fate?
    That woman who done a version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow which basically became a hit <i>because</i> she died. Yuk.

Oh, also Laura Nyro maybe.
    Finally managed to access 'Riverman' on youtube just now. It is even better than I remember! Noticed that Nick Drake's voice has a strong Colin Blunstone element to it.
  • edited June 2011
    He was fantastic - any players out there its worth studying his various detunings of the strings for those lovely resonant chords he plays. He influenced so much too - how about Paul Webb of Talk Talk with Beth Gibbons paying homage to the beautiful 5/4 swing of Riverman with a track called 'Drake'? < Pink Moon's my favourite album but impossible to choose a single song.
  • edited June 2011
    I second Tim Hardin and Laura Nyro as excellent choices.
    I'm with David...Pink Moon's my favourite too. I forgot about this song until I heard it again on a VW TV commercial. ![Nick Drake](http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x390/cristo3004/pinkmoon-1.jpg)
    Cannot believe it! Listening to radio 2, and they are playing Riverman again!!! Does this mean that we are in for a Nick Drake revival? Hope so.
    We are definitely in for a Nick Drake revival since I just downloaded Pink Moon