Tube Disruptions During June/July

Here are some forthcoming dates for disruptions to the Tube in our area over the next few weeks:

ENGINEERING WORKS

VICTORIA LINE - NO SERVICE

Saturday 18th June – Kings Cross to Walthamstow Central

Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th June – Brixton to Highbury & Islington

Saturday 2nd July - No Service on entire line!

PICCADILLY LINE – NO SERVICE

Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th July – Arnos Grove to Cockfosters

Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July – Arnos Grove to Cockfosters

Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th August – Kings Cross to Cockfosters

Please note Saturday 18th June is the date of the London Feis 2011

Comments

• edited 5:48PM
    Add to this Bob Crow's bunch of militant whingers going on strike so that they can extend their summer holidays and we have a lovely summer of disruption ahead.
    "Please note Saturday 18th June is the date of the London Feis 2011 "

Genius - some great forethought there!
    @ miss annie

My dad is one of Bob Crow's militant whingers! You've summed him up perfectly!

On more than one occassion, when he's been picketting out side the Wells Terrace entrace to the station, I've had to take the tube for a meeting and have skipped up to him say 'hello' and give him a hug, then skipped off down the tunnel to catch the Victoria line (it ALWAYS runs on strike days). He usually covers me in strike protest stickers before I make my escape.

I gate crashed one of their union meetings at the back room of the Twelve Pins once, when Iwas looking for my dad. It was a bit scary.
    I'm sure your dad is an absolute treasure. I just really despise everything that Bob Crow stands for. The fact that he earns £95k a year and still occupies a council house gets my goat too.
    That a personnel dispute over a sacking - rightly or wrongly, should lead to a walk-out by any of the unions is an absolute disgrace. Bob Crow is a deplorable character and an archetypal bully, aptly fitting as the face of such a backward organization. He makes me sick every time I see him on the telly.
    To be fair to Bob Crow (and I don’t find this easy) – the last time they threatened to do this the lawyers found that TFL were clearly victimising the sacked employee because he was an active union member and told them to re-employ him as they would certainly lose the case. In other words, the employee was sacked not due to incompetence but because of his union membership. This was reported in a tiny article in a single newspaper. The press have it in for Crow & cronies– perhaps legitimately – but that sacking was clearly not on, and he was right to defend his members. I don’t know what the grounds are this time, but given the current economic climate perhaps we should ease-off on the union bashing.
    No chance. They're threatening to bring the country to its knees this summer because they have to work a bit longer and pay a bit more towards their pensions. Well they should get with the f*cking programme! Pension reforms due out next year require ALL businesses to provide pension arrangements for employees. This is going to cost everyone in the private sector. I don't know why the public sector gravy train-ists think they are a special case. As for Crow, again the fact that LUL has acted in such a way is clearly not acceptable. But their is ample recourse for this and the Union could have seen them in the courts. Why punish the public?? Because its the only thing his stupid pea-brain can think of to get his ugly git face on the telly.
    It's almost impossible to know really why the latest strike has been called, between Bob's rhetoric, the papers' vitriol and LU's...I dunno, nonchalonce? I hate that word. Anyway if the situation is as I understand it, the guy who's been sacked this time has a tribunal coming up which will legally decide whether or not his sacking was fair. So I don't really understand the purpose of the strike?
    Sorry to labour my point, but I don't care if he was sacked for wanking in the toilets, they've no business calling a strike over an individual personnel issue. Its not their effing tube system to use like this as and when they feel like it. How ruddy dare they. It and they work for those who use it NOT the other way round. The sheer arrogance makes my blood boil.
    You can get sacked for wanking in the toilets?
    @Ed b It's called a Dutch tea break
    @Sevlov I'll give the biscuits a miss.

Sorry, people, carry on...
    Strikes should be used as an absolute last resort. Bob Crow uses them as blackmail. If an employee is victimised by his employer, he has the option of going to a tribunal.

Tube strikes punish the poor. I spent six years in the service industry. If you can't get to work, you don't get paid. Now I have a middle-class job. I have the option of working from home. If I absolutely have to get down to the office, I can take a cab. My employer will reimburse me for it. For someone earning minimum wage, a return cab journey into central London can equal a day's wages.

Bob Crow should be ashamed of what he does. Instead, he gloats.
    @rainbow_carnage The buses and mainline trains still run when the tube's down. It's just an inconvenience for a day or two. Let the buggers strike but never give in to them, they'll just do it again, and again...
    @Ed B - Have you tried getting on a bus at rush hour on a tube strike day? We used to live in Stokey, where there is no tube. We took the 73 into town. On strike days, we'd have to get up an hour early just to make it to work on time. Three, four, five buses would go past without stopping to pick up more passengers. It was a massive hassle.

Zone 2 actually isn't that bad. I could walk to Russell Sq if I had to. But you try getting in from Zone 4 or 5 when there is not tube. Or from anywhere in South London, for that matter. That's where most poor people live.
    @rainbow_carnage I agree, it's not easy. I was just talking about from the N4 area really. The transport ease is the main reason I moved here. When I move out and away from here (one day!), things wil no doubt get more difficult.
    If anyone needs to get to Angel on strike days, I can tell you that it's exactly an hours walk from FP tube to Islington Green for a short lady who walks reasonably quickly. For a chap with long legs probably much less.
    and for all his bleating about safety, what he's too thick to realise is that when a strike is called, the volume of traffic increases massively. Loads of people who can barely ride a bike think its a good idea to cycle to work at massive risk to themselves and everyone around them. For the sake of a few less ticket jockeys who just aren't needed any more. What a prick.
    The health benefits of cycling do rather outweigh the risks.
    My dad - one of Bob Crow's militant whingers - argues strongly that their gripe about loosing 'a few ticket jockeys' (or hundred of station staff) really is health and saftety.

I know that he (my dad) has had and continues to have masses of regular and rigorous H&S and customer saftey training (not disimilar in intesity or constant review to a friend who is a head trolly dolly for BA).

He's shared some pretty horric stories of crowd management and control during emergency evacuations of stations (fire, bomb threats etc), walking very panicked people from stuck trains along the tunnels, and of the medical assistance he's had to get on with when someone has fallen on the track/under a train/headfirst dowm the escalators/babies fingers stuck in escalator/passangers bottling each other...I could go on (but it makes me feel a bit queasy).

Anyway, he is a bit of a militant whinger, but I'd be grateful for his (or his colleagues) emergency assistance, should I ever need it.

He supervises the Piccadilly line, Manor House to Arnos Grove. He's the fella with the Belfast accent over the tannoy sometimes.
  • AliAli
    edited 5:48PM
    Well said !
    Oh ok. I stand corrected. I take back everything I said about Bob Crow.
    Ah no, Bob Crow IS a bit of a arse, but my dad's alright.
    Does your dad mind that you scab his picket line?
    The strike isn't about ticket office staff this time is it?
  • edited June 2011
    My dad does kinda mind that I scab his picket line. But not enough to curdle blood. As he then takes the opportunity to introduce me to his colleagues as his 'baby'. I'm 42.

Families, eh?
  • RoyRoy
    edited 5:48PM
    I have to say that in this instance I have a lot of sympathy for the RMT's position. The employment tribunal found that Eamonn Lynch had been unfairly dismissed. He made an error which was a bit of a technicality but a rulebook violation nonetheless. However the tribunal found that not only was dismissal for gross misconduct entirely disproportionate to the severity of the error he made - other employees had made much more serious mistakes and just been given a warning - but there was no instance of a comparable case have been taken to that level of disciplinary procedure ever before. Now admittedly, we don't have a tribunal judgement on the Arwyn Thomas case yet, but given the above the level of distrust that the RMT has of London Underground management is entirely understandable. If a union isn't going to stand up for its members when they are vicitimised for union activities then what are unions for? AIUI the RMT wants an assurance that if the tribunal judgement finds that Arwyn was unfairly dismissed then he will be reinstated. London Underground are unwilling to give that assurance. Hence the strike. (You can read the full judgement of the Eamonn Lynch case as a scanned PDF linked from [this page](http://www.rmtlondoncalling.org.uk/node/2181) )
    Sorry, I simply don't get it. Don'tget me wrong, I understand the requirement of unions to stand upfor staff, but these two cases as justification for subjecting 3 million undergraound users and inumerable millions of others (I'm a bus, cycler), feels lke the old sledgehammer and walnut scenario.
    Isn't Bob Crow just doing his job?