Brownswood Tavern

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited 8:30AM
    No idea on the re-open but I do know why it closed. The Landlord was caught 3 times selling his own booze that he'd bought down the cash and carry in the bar. The barman told me that it was the only way they could make any money as the brewery who own the pub charged prices like £2.45 per bottle of Becks so with costs etc he was not making a penny. Once they got rid of the Landlord they brought in a temp manager and closed soon after. The barman told me a group were interested in buying it but wanted it to run into the ground before bidding so they could get a cheaper price off the brewery. It's a decent pub so I hope that when it opens it's doors again they have made a bit of effort and it's a success.
    Where is it?
    And, just along a bit on Green Lanes is the White House a weird 'Turkish pub'. They have a shisha garden with chickens running around it!
    I've never seen chickens at the White House, only rabbits :)
    are they also on the menu? :D
    maybe it was chickens years ago or maybe I ate chicken and trod on a rabbit ... I was a bit worse for wear!
  • I went into the Brownswood over the weekend and they have a big selection of ales and beers and the food looked good. The people who own it also run the Jolly Butchers in Stoke Newington. It's well worth the walk.... <http://www.thebrownswood.co.uk/>;
    we are in there now. it's super nice and has been completely redone (ace loos). loads of proper beers, i just had an amarilla from the east london brewery which was lovely and they have cask ciders and everything. the food looks like good quality pub food, not as gastro as the dairy and correspondingly cheaper.
    Went yesterday after a picnic, and from what little I remember, it's very nice indeed.
    I went yesterday. It's nice, kind of stripped down with stone and wood. Not up it self, very spacious with a big concrete garden. I go drinking with Stoke Newington mates and it's good to find somewhere equidistant, in that kind of no man's land.

There's a menu of burgers and sausage and mash and the selection of beers is good.

The staff were kind of obsessed with collecting glasses and crockery before we'd finished, and the portions are a bit mean. They also need more bike racks, but I always think that.