The W.I.

edited July 2011 in Local discussion
I'd quite like to join the W.I. but the nearest branches are Stokey and Tottenham. Would anyone else be interested in setting up a local branch encompassing SG and Crouch End? I have been talking to a young lady who was responsible for setting up The Shoreditch Sisters - the East London branch of the Women's Institute - and it sounds like it could be good fun, as well as a splendid way to learn and share new skills and put something back into the community. Most branches seem to meet once a month, so it's not a huge commitment. What say you ladies of SG? <http://shoreditchsisters.blogspot.com/>; <http://boroughbelleswi.wordpress.com/>; <http://www.thewi.org.uk/>;

Comments

• edited 10:46AM
    Can you make jam? Mulberry is my favourite.
    Mulberry is a good jam, but its not in my top 3 jams.
    Hi miss annie, I think that's a brilliant idea! I'd definitely join. I went to knitting club a few times, which I liked, but I just couldn't get the hang of knitting (though I'm thinking of giving it another try). But it would be ace to have something a bit broader. I was reading about the Dalston Darlings WI a few weeks ago. We'd need a good name. How many people do you need to start one up? Dull, I know, but raspberry for me. Though I do like a lime marmalade.
    Hmm, looks like Crouch End already have a WI, though it looks quite far away for many Crouch Enders: <http://thealexandrawi.webs.com/>;
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Good idea.
    I'm definately interested in this - perhaps we should set up an initial meeting?
    Did anyone make it over to The Big Feastival in Clapham at the weekend? Completely splendid W.I.tent run by Shoreditch Sisters there with all kinds of great stuff going on. I'm keen to do this. How about meeting up next week - which day is good for interested parties? Meet next week and think about starting up after the school holidays?
    I can't do Monday, but any other day should be fine.
    I would be interested in this.
    How about a meeting next Tuesday then? What kind of time suits everyone? It would be great if we could all take a look at the various links above and come with some ideas about activities we'd like to do when we're up and running. And it's good to have a look at the campaigns that we might like to get involved with - the W.I. are doing a big push on supporting local libraries at the moment.
    it looks very interesting, i would be up for next Tuesday, just went through website of the N1 group who seem to have activities based around baking and drinking ;)
    I would be interested - might not be able to make the meeting as I'm expecting a baby any day (was due on Sunday). It would be great to have an N4 group!
    Tuesday is good for me. Yes, I thought the N1 group looked fun too and it appears they've had some interesting people come to give talks.
    Sounds marvellous. I'm in. Tuesday is good for me.
    I'm interested in this but can't make a meeting next Tuesday. Good luck with the baby Berrynice!
    I can't do next Tuesday as I am in Prague. Please let us know how your first meeting goes and I will try and get to the next one.
    Anywhere but the White Lion! What time and where do people fancy meeting? The Stapleton, Dairy or Noble at 8ish maybe?
    Splendid! Is that ok with everyone?
    Oooh, I like this idea!

Will try to join you on Tuesday.

Can we focus on drinking and baking too please?
    Of course! See you there.
    Looks like I'm going to have to join the Garrick.
    They have rather a jarring combination of colours on their club tie Andy. And it's not in SG.
    Yes it is ladies only for the Women's Institute. They also stress that there has to be an interest in rural affairs wherever you are based, hence the regular crafting, baking and jam making that goes on. However, they are not at all strict on which activities fall into their categories, for example music can include things like learning burlesque dance, hula hooping and or Lindy Hop which other W.I's have done. They also encourage women to be involved in the community and in national and international issues - it's all rather exciting. From the W.I.'s website. The main purposes of the Women’s Institute organisation are to enable women who are interested in issues associated with rural life, including arts, crafts and sciences, to improve and develop conditions of rural life, to advance their education in citizenship, in public questions both national and international, in music, drama and other cultural subjects and in all branches of agriculture, handicrafts, home economics, health and social welfare. It seeks to give to women the opportunity of working together through the Women’s Institute organisation, and of putting into practice those ideals for which it stands.