7th July

edited July 2010 in Local discussion
Hey folks

Just wanted to state the obvious; it's the 5th anniversary of the London bombings today (I doubt you forgot).

One of those who died on the 30 bus bomb lived in Stroud Green - Anat Rosenberg. She was a work friend, we'd walk down SGR to Highbury to work together. She was more than slightly bonkers! And very kind.

I went to the Hyde Park memorial this morning, it was extremely quiet (bar a hand full of photographers and one journo) and then on to Tavistock Square where I bumped into her partner.

Let nothing like that ever happen again.

Peace and love to you all!

Comments

• edited 9:36AM
    Strange to think it was five years ago.

Also, i think it's interesting how little has been made of the anniversary. I guess London never stops moving forwards.
    There are a number of articles on the Guardian website today (including a piece by Anat's partner). I have been thinking about it a lot this year for some reason. It seems much longer ago than just 5 years.
    A friend of mine, Ciaran Cassidy, who grew up in Stroud green died in Russell Square. I almost lost another friend of mine who was in the carriage where the bomber had been in the same train. He was also the last of my mates to see Ciaran alive.

I also knew another girl that died that day on Edgeware Road. So did a part of me.

R.I.P. Lest we forget.
    @N4mality, thanks for sharing too, it's a small way of honouring those who died (or were injured or caught up in the horror of it all). I'm sorry that you knew so many of them.
    I passed by Tavistock Square at 9.47 this morning, there were suprisingly few people there. More surprising was that few peole even really paused as they passed by the small huddle of people surrounding the plaque with flowers and bouquets at their feet.

The only real acknowlegement (I've read or heard) of the 6th anniversary has been in the context of the News International 'phone hacking stories. Ciaran's dad has been rightly outraged and very vocal about the whole disgraceful business.

We don't seem to care to remember, which makes me very sad.
    I've remembered, and thought about it. Last year seemed a pretty big deal, I guess because it was a "landmark" anniversary. It's a shame this year the bombings are tied up in News International's grubby machinations.
    I was there, will never forget it ever.
    I think everyone in London remembers in their own way. We don't need formal memorials or occasions in that sense, certainly for me, all my trips on the tube are an act of remembrance one way or another. We are understated Londoners.
    I know what you mean Dion; I rarely take the tube, but when I do...

Love to you all.