Attack on Crouch hill.

Comments

• edited 12:50PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    We haven't I was wondering whether to or not.
    You should. I think that particular area is bit of blind spot. There have been a number of incidents round there over the last couple of years. I think the SNT should take a look at lighting and other measures, particularly where the bridge is.
  • edited July 2011
    Sorry to hear about that, please do report it Sevlow.
    I've reported it.
    If every woman reported every man who shouted inappropriate things out of a car at her, the police wouldn't get anything else done.

An attack is serious, but this kind of crap happens all the time. When I'm in a bad mood, I shout back. The rest of the time I just ignore it.
  • edited July 2011
    @ rainbow_carnage This is why I was reluctant to report this. However, I did think it was appropriate after the increase in sexual assualts in the area What harm can it do? Plus it maybe a coincidence but the car my wife saw was dark in colour too, same as the newspaper report.
  • edited July 2011
    Well, someone shouting out of a passing car window is a world away from, for example, someone pulling over next to you and calling out, or kerb-crawling and trying to talk to you. The former is something that happens unfortunately too often, the latter 2 are far more serious, especially in this context. And it's really up to the Police to decide what warrants investigation isn't it?
    Someone was assaulted on Blythwood Road yesterday early evening around 5ish (broad daylight) ... police cordoned off the road where it joins Mount Pleasant Villas.

I believe the victim was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

I don't have any other details.
  • KazKaz
    edited 12:50PM
    And there is more: http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/women_suffer_sexual_harassment_in_finsbury_park_street_1_975332

Sorry, not good on the linking front...

All this makes me so fucking angry! I refuse to be intimidated and feel scared when all I am doing is minding my own business and walking around. Why do these men think that it's ok to assault and harass women??
    I'd expect nothing less from people who spend their lives standing around outside shops like kids.
    Yeah, she is probably a racist. Excellent detective work.

The people who stand around on Blackstock Road should respect how we treat women and behave in this country regardless of where they are from or what race they are.

Blackstock Road may be one of the safer roads to walk down, but it certainly is not the most pleasant or least intimidating.
  • KazKaz
    I was referring more to the actual attempted attacks and people when I said I get really angry.

Anyone standing on the street doesn't really bother me that much, not the guys that hang around Blackstock Road and not men shouting at from building sites. As long as I can ignore them and walk away without them following me, I don't really care.

I guess the problem is that you are not sure how they will react if you respond to their insults. I was chased down the road once (not around here) by a man who called me a prostitute (I'm not) and shouted at me that drinking and smoking was illegal. He obviously didn't appreciate the fact that I had the audacity to respond to him by telling him to mind his own fucking business...
  • edited July 2011
    Dunno if the woman in question is racist, but the comments that follow certainly are.

There is a huge difference between an actual assault and some wolf whistles and comments. I'm sorry that some people might find the latter intimidating, but really we need to get a sense of perspective on this. If we were to start prosecuting men for making lewd comments to women, we'd have to lock up half the builders in the country.

Personally I find the comments quite funny. I mean, really, what do these men think they're going to achieve?
  • KazKaz
    Prosecuting men for making lewd comments, you say? <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019762/Wolf-whistling-workmen-face-sack-intimidated-distraught-woman.html>; (Can I just point out that I only read this godawful paper for the celebrity trash when I need a break from real news.)
  • KazKaz
    Aaahh, my first link...
    I'm not going to defend the men who hang around Blackstock Road - I find them repulsive - but Clare Simpson shouldn't take it personally. They harass every woman who walks by. It's bad and wrong, and the police probably should do something about it. But there's no reason to feel threatened or intimidated. You have two options. You can ignore them, or you can tell them to fuck off. I've done both.

I don't see this as a cultural issue. These men have zero respect for women. Misogyny is not a valid belief, I don't care what country you come from.
    You're likely to get less comments from builders on a building site than anywhere else. Most contractors have really strict codes of conduct in place which prevents wolf whistling and raucousness. I find the top end of Blackstock Rd increasingly intimidating because of the large groups of men hanging about too, and I'm not generally easily intimidated. Not quite sure how you'd go about addressing it though.
  • edited July 2011
    "In one incident two men followed her and then walked up on either side. “I kept walking and they stayed alongside,” she said. “I couldn’t understand all of what they said but they suggested I had sex with them" I am the only person who read this bit of the article? This is not just a whistle or a cheeky comment. This is really intimidating. @Misscara A few posts back on this thread you suggested to Sevlow that he should contact the police after a man in a car called out to his partner. How is this different?
    This Clare Simpson ought to spend a couple of days in Morocco or Egypt. She would realise that the top end of Blackstock Road is a teddy bear's picnic by comparison. It is very intimidating and irritating but at the same time, in my opinion, there is something very amateurish and unconvincing about the whole thing, as if these guys are going through the motions - more for the benefit of their male companions than anything else. Pathetic. I expect to be soundly trounced for that opinion, but there we go.

My GF (now Mrs K) and I spent some time in Morocco and a lot of our time was spent swatting off these persistent shoulder-creeps. I was propositioned a few times myself. Are these guys for real? In the end, we decided we just had to laugh. Years on, Mrs K still sometimes creeps up behind me unawares and bellows 'You want sex? You want drugs?' in my ear, which always makes me jump and it immediately takes us back to those fuckwits in Casablanca. (I do the same to her btw).

But I agree it is intimidating and Blackstock Road would be a much, much pleasanter place if it didn't happen.
  • AliAli
    At least they haven't taken up the local customs of getting blind drunk all the time !
    I agree with Krappyrubsnif about this kind of behaviour being more for the benefit of the other men around them rather than actually intending to be genuinely suggestive or intimidating. Having said that I don't enjoy being hissed at and whispered at as I walk down Blackstock and I don't blame this women for being frightened at having two men walk on either side making comments. I like the fact that it's a busy street with people sitting out at tables but it's a shame that hanging around cafes seems to inevitably mean showing off and being disrespectful to women. I've been to Morocco and India and it's definitely far worse there but that doesn't mean we should say it's ok for it to happen here.
    Re: building sites - there was an excellent moment when the Slutwalk protest a few weeks back went past some roadworks, and you could practically see the cogs whirring behind the workmen's confused faces. "What do I shout when they already have their tits out? Also, there are more of them than us and they look quite tough..."
    There's a large building site next to my work place. I've never heard any of the guys make filthy comments or whistle at women. Sometimes they smile and say hello, but that's as far as it goes. If they're standing on the pavement, they always step out of the way and let you pass. I've seen them, literally, stop traffic so a woman and her disabled child could cross the road.

I'm sure there are builders that are disrespectful to women, but from my personal experience, they're a perfectly polite bunch.