Attack on Crouch hill.

13»

Comments

• edited 4:00PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah - she SHOULD have been asking for it, the bitch.
    Is there an interent symbol for stunned silence?
    I'm shocked as well! Misscara, are you sure you don't want to rethink/delete your last post?!
    You do know, don't you, that people don't shout sexual comments, sexually assault or rape women because they really really fancy them?
    I think that the best way to settle this inter-feminist conflict would be a good old fashioned naked mud-wrestle. I’m willing to referee.
    Or possibly a wet-T-shirt competition.
    "Clare Whatserface is a stupid, stuck-up, paranoid idiot. ... And as far as anyone possibly (she says she didn't understand all what they were saying, so how can she be sure she heard that right?) saying they would like to have sex with her, she should probably be grateful with that face." @Misscara that is a truly horrible thing to say. You have made 3 really vitriolic posts about this woman's appearance. It is women who say this sort of thing who "set back our cause decades".
  • edited July 2011
    Methinks Misscara and the woman in the article have some previous.
    The issue isn't about whether sexual assaults are higher in Blackstock Road. The article does not claim the men are potential sex attackers. This isn't about men-bashing. The issue is that women should be able to walk down the street anywhere without being harrassed just because they are female. Why should we have to ignore it? It isn't acceptable. Ignoring unacceptable behaviour allows it to continue.
    Women who feel victimised aren't weak, this woman has stood up for herself because she felt intimidated, ignoring it would have been weakness. Maybe you don't feel harassed but it IS harassment.
    From experience, men tend to be more likely to hassle you when you look vulnerable. Tired, stained t-shirt and hair in a mess gets vile comments; legs out and sexy dress gets 'i love your shoes'. But then, harassment and rape are about power not sex.
    "You're not going to be able to stop it so why let it affect you?" Why can't we stop it? I am not saying it will stop tomorrow but it is only through saying en masse "This is unacceptable" that any societal norm changes. That is how we got the bloody vote in the first place...equal pay act...end to segregation and apartheid...end to legislation that made homosexuality illegal...etc etc etc. At every point people have said "you're not going to be able to stop it". The reality is history shows us it can stop but only if action is taken. The idea that sexual assault is acceptable has already changed dramatically in the last 20 years: not so long ago it was perfectly legal to rape your wife because the law said if you were married it wasn't rape. Domestic violence was also seen as "just a domestic" until relatively recently. Sexual harrassment in the workplace was seen as something women just had to put up with. All of this has changed because we said no more. I agree with Hannah. This woman is saying "No this is not on" and well done to her.
    @Siolae, absolutely spot on. So depressing that these things need to be reiterated "in this day and age"!
    If I was the victim of the original subject of this thread I wouldn't be too pleased with how it turned out. Not going to troll here, but fucking hell, a woman was raped, could you not start a different thread for your pithy 'sexism in public' remarks? It reads like DailyMail.com femail article comments thread.
  • edited July 2011
    "harassment and rape are about power not sex"

This assumes that power and sex are entirely separate things to start with. Which, when you look at all the minging men who become attractive to women (and indeed men whose tastes lie that way) simply because they run countries and/or businesses, is clearly bollocks.
  • edited July 2011
    I think the issue here is that a woman was nearly raped on Crouch Hill. Can people stop posting vain posts about how much attention they get on Blackstock road. And please leave semantics and spelling out of it you anal retentives. It's not English class.

When it comes to Blackstock road I don't like it from The Blackstock up to the library. Lots of macho men who walk into you and look at you like your some piece of shit. I dread to think what it is like for women. I agree with a previous post that it's not about whether these men attack or not. Some women just don't like being spoken to like they're sexual objects. It's probably not a life or death problem but I imagine it's annoying and these men shouldn't be seen as harmless. If a man makes this type of comment he's an idiot.
    hear, bloody hear, kreuzkav.
    Bottom of Crouch Hill, Early Friday evening, outside the Old Dairy. Two emergency ambulances/paramedic vehicles and three or four blue light police cars. What was all that about, then?
    @ADGS, You're sort of right- but I'd argue that the motivations of men who attack and abuse women have very little to do with whether they fancy the women and a lot more to do with wanting to impose themselves. It's why the 'don't dress like a slut and you'll be safe' advice is so noxious - apart from victim blaming it doesn't bloody work. Women dating ugly old rich men is more complicated - I doubt the attraction's always wholly sincere but it's clearly not always fake. Apologies for going off topic and for heterosexist shorthand.
    At least the debate has kept the thread near the top, which may help to nail the perp. If it had just been a round of bland platitudes commiserating with the victim it would've dropped off days ago.