Singing Group/Informal Choir - would anyone be interested?

edited July 2011 in Local discussion
Hello All,

I am a local piano teacher/Music graduate/Teaching Assistant who would love to start up a weekly singing group open to all (not just those who can read music).

We could sing whatever members wanted to learn and I would accompany us on the piano and lead the group. People could bring along anything they wanted to share with the group and teach others songs they knew. I currently have a repertoire of jazz standards/gospel/classical/pop/world choral music that would work well in four part harmony but could easily be adapted to suit whoever turned up...

Anyway, I have a few friends who I have persuaded that this would be a good idea (and that they don't need to be pissed to sing in public) and just want to see if anyone would be interested.

It would be free by the way!

Thanks everyone!

Lizzie

Comments

• edited 9:17PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2011
    There's also the <http://www.poolesparkcommunitychoir.org.uk>; who meet on Wednesday evenings. A very informal and friendly atmosphere and no need to be able to read music.
    Brilliant - I shall check these out! Thanks!
    I play the piano for the above choir. It would be great to have you along, too Lizzie, if you felt like it. We've adjourned till September, so check before turning up, if you decide to. And we're free too.
    Let us know what you find in your explorations. I would be interested in singing in a local choir now that I have a kid and so can't really justify continuing to sing in a central London choir. Pooles Park is too early for me though. And I'd rather sing in one where everyone reads music because otherwise things move rather slowly in my experience.
    @becky i sing with the [islington choral society](http://islingtonchoralsociety.wordpress.com/about/) which is quite a big choir with a range of standards, and assumes some sight-reading ability. it's certainly better quality and more professional than some other north london choirs i have tried. i'm pretty rubbish but feel comfortable there, and some members are excellent. next term we are singing vivaldi's gloria and some other festive stuff.
    Hello pie eater,

I've posted my email on the other discussion, but here it is again- lizzie_fenner@hotmail.com. Give me an email and we'll arrange a piano lesson!

Thanks
    I am also in Poole's Park community choir. Had to take a bit of a break due to illness, but hoping to be back for September (we rehearse in the school, hence the term time existence). Everyone is lovely.
    Should addabout Poole's Park - it's very much a choir for the joy of singing, not in any way attempting to be professional. We did get the chance to sing at the Union Chapel last year, but also had a lovely christmas sinaglong in the World's End.
    Would you like to come and sing carols outside my workplace on islington Green in December? We can't pay but we'll keep you supplied with tea and coffe and mince pies and if you want to collect for a charity that's fine.
    I don't see why not! I will ask closer to the time.
    That's very good news, Mills. Everyone thought you had left us.