Season Kitchen and Dining Room

Comments

• edited 1:53AM
    We had dinner at Season last night and it was very good indeed. Good to see that it was pretty much packed out even on a Tuesday evening in August.
    @Neil I love your chips!
    Sorry, I didn't come back for ages and so didn't see the comment from Neil. Thanks for that. The issues we had with service were that we had to chase down drinks, our chips came quite some time after the steaks and the greens sometime after that again. We were being a bit english and polite about the steaks, but didn't really rate the meat I'm afraid. Thanks for getting back and we will try you again when the menu has changed a bit as it gets more autumnal.
    Saturday’s dinner at Season was a triumph. It’s been mentioned before, but the rye bread is sublime; my father waxed lyrical about it until Neil gave him the recipe – treacle and honey, who’d have thought? Due to a significant and late lunch we skipped starters (though I seem to recall a well-stirred G&T aperitif) and ploughed into the main course. My lamb was rich and tasty, and the squid & chorizo combo was also delicious. Credit also to the house white, which was surprisingly balanced for such a reasonable price. Rather crammed at this point, we cheekily ordered one rosemary and chocolate pot between five simply to test its reputation, and found it to be remarkable and tasty... who’d have thought such a combo would work? It’s such a cosy and well-decorated room; they really make the most of the space. Neil & co are attendative without being intrusive, friendly and informative. We are so very lucky to have this place on Stroud Green Road… three cheers to them and all their endeavours. One question I forgot to ask them… where did they get the funky railway-style ‘Stroud Green’ sign so prominently displayed on the wall? Arky
    Oh, and the chips were *excellent*.
  • benben
    edited 1:53AM
    I have just got back from Season - my fourth time there, each one excellent. My friend's sea bass was particularly good, and he and his wife were saying that there is nowhere in Crouch End that (as well as in N4) that matches it for food and atmosphere.
    I can't wait to go! Are they good with vegetarian food?
  • Dear Mills,

Thanks for your honest response.

It appears your experience of Season wasn't as it should have been.

Do let me know when you're planning a return visit and I'll ensure you're really well looked after.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,

Neil
  • KazKaz
    edited 1:53AM
    @kreuzkav - The menu is on their website. A fairly short menu, vegetarian choices are limited, but I find the dishes more interesting than what is often the case with vegetarian food in a non-vegetarian restaurant.
    @kaz. Thanks for the information. The vegetarian option for September seems quite interesting.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @ miskara. I'd like to go but after adding up the cost..starter, main and a bottle of wine plus tip/service charge (that's for a cheaper veggie meal) for two would be at least £60. I'll have to save up for that. I won't be able to join the middle and aspiring working classes.

When I do eventually go I will wear a jump suit with the Stroud Green badge on it.
    If you are genuinely keen, maybe you don't order booze? and share a starter? Season is WELL worth the money, so please don't start hammering on about the cost.
    @Beek. You're so right, by not having wine I could save up to £20. Maybe I could go, have a main dish, tap water, but I'd still like to pay a tip/service charge as I've worked in the catering business and unless it's bad I always pay it. That would be £40 for two.

However, I could go to Jai Krishna, have a selection of lovely veg food and pay £20 for two. I'm also allowed to bring in my own booze for a small corkage charge.

Saying that, I'd like to try out Seasons one day.

I won't wear a jumper over shirt. Perhaps, I'd wear a dress.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I think Season is twice, if not five times better than Jai Krishna. I would happily swap three trips to Jai Krishna for one trip to Season.
    Crappy logic. Needs a Venn Diagram.
    @kreuzkav, Season v Jai Krishna is simply not comparable. Jai Krishna is tasty, and it'll fill you up (I've found it a bit oily recently though), whereas Season is a different level of deliciousness and sophistication. Especially the chocolate rosemary pot!

If you want to save on wine you could enquire if they allow you to bring your own and charge corkage. Might save a few pounds.
    @ the rattle. I never imagined that Seasons would be similiar to Jai Krishna. Jai Krishna is a great place to go with a few friends and you know it's not going to break the bank. Seasons I imagine is for special occasions, unless you're on a high income (but I guess I've banged on enough about that). I think if I went I'd have to have at least one glass of wine. A meal out with out a beer or wine, especially if it was a special day, would be odd.
    Hello Neil, I was going to bring my chip issue up on my next visit but since this thread has taken a chippy - and vegetarian - turn, can I just ask if you cook them in beef dripping? Only when I had them, they tasted MEATY (which I could still taste hours later) and I couldn't eat them. Dripping may well be the best thing to cook chips in, but perhaps the menu/staff should make it clear that's how they're done - you shouldn't have to ask if the chips are vegetarian! Unless I'm wrong, in which case please ignore me. Great place though. Glad you're in the area.
  • Hello Emine,
    We don't use beef dripping for the chips. They're fried in groundnut (peanut) oil, we use this oil as it's got a high smoke factor which means chips can be cooked really hot on the second frying without the risk of any burnt flavours. I'm guessing that the peanut flavour lends a kind of umami beef taste. You've given me the perfect excuse today to have a bowl of chips to fully explore this theory!
    Look forward to seeing you again soon.
    Best,
    Neil
    PS This gives me a chance to edit my previous chapter and verse on a point that's been bugging me. I failed to mention in response to Tosscat's post ref cheese accompaniment that we make the Sardinian bread ourselves. Phew, I'm glad that's off my chest.
    Thank you Neil, am happy to be corrected. And happier still to be able to eat the chips!
    Passed Season on my way home from Morefit today, and found Neil outside, writing 'Happy Birthday' on the pavement. Turns out it's Season's first birthday today. Can't believe a year has elapsed so quickly - time must run faster in Stroud Green.

Happy Birthday to Season - going to celebrate by heading there tonight. There's a Rosemary Chocolate Pot with my name on it.
    So Season and the Stapleton opened in SG on the same day. Hurrah for things beginning with 'S'!
  • The good reviews just keep coming for Season. Well done Neil and the rest of the staff. Expect a bunch of hipsters to turn up anytime soon. I'm letting a mullet grow in anticipation. <http://london.lecool.com/london/en/week>;
  • edited October 2011
    Absolutely brilliant meal on Saturday. 15 very satisfied punters. I didn't know there was such a thing as 'duck ham', but there is and it's tasty with fig and mascapone. The haunch of venison with gin-soaked barley was sublime - my carniverous pal insisted it was the best venison he has ever had. Special mention to their excellent value house wines too. We were very well looked after. Stole the Foursquare mayorship from Tosscat too. The icing on the cake, and he's been very good about it. Arky
  • Other half and I have 1 year anniversary on Saturday. Just cancelled table at Claridge's and booked at Season instead. Can hardly wait :-) Rob
  • Finally visited Seasons on Saturday and now I don't know why it took me so long it really is a gem.<div>The venison and game stew is amazing, good portion sizes too and their soda bread was jaw dribbling good. </div><div><br></div><div>I will be going back and telling my friends too. </div><div><br></div><div>Good work! All the best for the future! </div>
  • Returned to Season on Saturday after a few months break ... it never disappoints!<div><br></div><div>Had an absolutely delicious meal (Ox cheeks rock my world) and despite the feeling of being full to the point of bursting ... I just couldn't resist their rice pudding. Wonderful evening ... I genuinely think we're lucky to have this quality of restaurant on our doorsteps.</div>
  • I must pop in to have a meal tomorrow.  It's cheap you said.  £10?