I want to be a SG oldie hipster

2»

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 5:56AM
    They probably did it as you had to get on your hind feet for the Queen at the end of a film in those days. It was tremendous last Album though
  • edited 5:56AM
    Hey Chang, did you use to hear that you parents had no son when you brought home occasional A instead of A+?
  • edited August 2011
    With regard to the word 'elite' you are right if you go by its dictionary definition. By 'elites' I meant the way it has come to be defined now i.e. the smug self-important group of people who usually gather together to carve out more from society, groups or establishments than others.

Of course people have to be rewarded for their training and for doing work which is anti-social but driving around in 4x4s and generally flashing the cash is a bit backward. There is an element of the nerds revenge about it too. Fair play to anyone who has risen up from poorer backgrounds but slamming people to a life of drudgery because they weren't academically good as a teen is bit unfair. I think it's also causing social problems. There's more violence in the air recently than before.

I think British society is becoming more and more fractured and unequal. I do think a more egalitarian society is something to be aimed at where people from all backgrounds and jobs are valued and given a good quality of life. Of course there will be differences. I'm not a communist. It's important to give all people the chance to work and to encourage this too!

As regards my original rant, I was a bit drunk as I was quite upset about something and posted what I thought was a piss-take. I shouldn't post when I feel like that. I generally don't drink during the week. However, I feel a lot of the views on here lately have been very right wing but if SG.org is a bit on the right, so be it. It's a free country. I just didn't expect a forum concerning this area to be like that.

The love you take is equal to the love you make. Maybe true about love, but I don't think it's always true about money.
  • LizLiz
    edited 5:56AM
    @ Kreuzkav: How can SG.org be a bit 'on the right'? It's just a collection of posts which is not moderated and only occasionally edited by Andy and David (because they have better things to do) for spam and stuff which might get them into legal difficulties. If you don't like it, don't read it. And definitely don't moan about it.
    Also: what's wrong with 4x4s ? They are cool cars and great if you have a big family or animals to cart around. Ppl should drive what they want. And what is so evil about Flashing the Cash? If you are successful and get money enjoy it ! I would and hope one day I will get more. Besides the cash flashers put new much needed money into new businesses and create jobs for ppl who pay tax who in turn bail out benefits to some of the lazy tos@&rs who are first to moan about 4x4s and other sins. SG get real !!
  • edited September 2011
    @Liz. A collection of posts can be on the right, but if that's the way it is, I accept it. I'm just giving my views. I think David and Andy are nice guys, could be wrong, just like to challenge. To clarify I was just surprised that so many of the main players on here were a bit on the right. Didn't expect it.

@ Chang. I think people should be mindful of the environment. If people need a 4x4, fair enough but not just as a status symbol. While people with big incomes pump more money into the local economy, surely if this was distrubed more fairly the same amount of money would still go into the local economy. As I said above I want money to be distrubed more fairly among the working population and not given to the lazy job shirkers. All can benefit and pump money into the local economy.
    No sure what's cool about a 4 x 4. Loads of them chundering the little roads in Crouch End, not full of kids or animals, being driven by people unable to park them, or do a three point turn, and generally not giving way.
    What about two wheel drive Bentleys, where do we stand on those?

Considering our roads are now the equivalent of an off road obstacle course with colossal speed bumps and gaping holes (the root cause of which is patchwork utility digging, not big cars) I'm not surprised people buy 4x4s.
    I’ve always considered driving a 4x4 in the city to be inherently selfish, given the amount of space that they occupy, their levels of polluting in general and carbon emissions in particular. I’m on the ‘one doesn’t need a car in London’ side of the argument anyway.
    Depends on the 4x4, some pollute less and use less fuel than a Mondeo and take up no more space, except height wise.

But then I'm kind of just playing devil's advocate here and get driven mad by people driving massive cars they can't manoeuvre myself.

...so I'll shut up.
    Sure. By 4x4 I meant 'big polluting monstrosity', I don't give a shit about how many wheel are actively powered. Could be 12 as long as they were small.
    Ah, we need a new term to cover all of those offending vehicles then and not just pick on four wheel drives.

Cockwagon?
    Ah man, that provoked a coffee-on-shirt accident. Brilliant, just brilliant. Cockwagon it is.
    SUV, surely?
    Is a Land Rover discovery a SUV? I'd say no.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pardon my ignorance, but where does one flash his cash in SG?

I've seen rappers drinking Cristal on the dance floor straight from the bottle or mixing it with Red Bull. I once got a £1,000 tip. That's flashing your cash.

Fortunately, there are no places like that in SG. So what are we talking about?
    I never suggested that Stroud Green was awash with rappers flashing the cash on expensive champagne and other services. I was responding to Mr Chang's 'flashing the cash' remarks. He said he likes to do it at Seasons and Sugar Lounge. It's not exactly Mayfair but it makes him feel more of a man.
    @ Arkady cheers, was quite pleased with Cockwagon myself

Mind you it's not all motorists.

Today I got abused by a businessman who I said excuse me too when he stepped into the road while not looking directly in front of me cycling along.

On Friday I got abused by a fellow cyclist who had just cycled through a red light when I was going through a green one.
  • edited September 2011
    I am both a cyclist (when fit) and pedestrian but particularly enjoy abusing cyclists who go through a red light when pedestrians are crossing. Some while ago I came close to being a victim of cyclist rage when I shouted 'wanker' at some a***hole who missed me by an inch outside the Old Dairy. He stopped and I thought he was going to give me a good kicking, but for some reason seemed to think better of it and cycled off.

These arrogant tossers deserve to be routinely humilated.

Is there an expression akin to 'cockwagon' we can shout at these people - usually men? Something akin to 'small chopper!' (geddit?) perhaps?
    Pedalwanker?
    @ rainbow_carnage : Tell us about that £1k tip then?
  • A nice American man threw a party at a members' club where I used to work as a bartender. His bill came to £9k. He generously rounded it up to £10k.
    Hmmm I've been condsidering a second hand BMW 520d as I often do many miles at the weekend - I think they're really nice. It's a big car with a not so big engine, good and efficient. Does this mean I'm going to come home to misplaced verbal abuse from the SG anti-Cockwagon/BCSC mob? Booooooo...