Sainsbury's is coming to Stroud Green Road - Woody's is going!

Comments

• edited 12:27AM
    They used to have mobile scanners at some Safeway's or Sainsbury's about a decade ago and it didn't work out.
  • AliAli
    edited 12:27AM
    Some of the Post Offices in Central London have machines you can use instead of the counter clerks, usually beats the queue once you have worked out how to use them
    The polite, but passive-aggressive answer is "I'm happy to wait, thankyou"
    That's the perfectly polite answer that I give the first few times they ask but then exasperation takes over.
    I love self scan - it is definitely the best invention in the world ever. Though it is annoying when really slow people are working out how to use the machine.
    I love the self scan too but the ones in Sainsburys are definitely not as good as the ones in Tescos. I don't think I've used them in other supermarkets yet.

The Post Office ones are excellent but a bit of a problem if you're weighing a number of different sized parcels, as it's hard to know which sticker goes with which parcel when they're all printed out together at the end :\
    But the Sainsbury's ones let you THROW CHANGE IN! If they weren't more expensive, that alone would make me favour Sainsbury's.

I've not used Post Office ones, but now I've finally got around to setting up an eBay account the time cannot be far off.
  • AliAli
    I noticed while in Neal’s Yard Cheese shop in Covent Garden that they sell Staffordshire Oatcakes
    Re: the new Wetherspoons pub in CE. I spoke to scaffolder on Friday who said Wethersoons first started in this area. I believe it was actually Musie Hill, but its close enough. So we've no business being snooty about it.
  • edited November 2010
    I was once told (probably on here) that the WLM was one of the original nine ‘Spoons, and the only one still in the chain.
  • AliAli
    The Noble used to be called Marlers bar and was an early Weatherspoons which got sold once WLM opened. It used to be rammed
    I bar-crawled from The Noble to the World’s End on Saturday - even loosing my WLM virginity in the process. I must say that the first few jars in the Noble were very pleasant indeed. The barkeep allowed me to throw logs on the fire and poke it occasionally, making me feel very manly indeed. As well as warm.
    Was in the Noble last night, and the return of the fire was marvellous :)
    The WLM was the 4th Wetherspoons to open. It used to be a car showroom.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    It was a car show room with garage bit being at the back of current pub. The florist was also a car show room and the glass doors it has is a bit like it was in WLM before the changes. The glass door used to be open with all the cars on display. Never saw Arthur Daley though.
  • edited November 2010
    I read* that the WLM used to be a pub favoured by occultists before it became a Wetherspoons. *annoyingly I can't locate the book, it's here somewhere, shoved in the wrong place...
    What is a pub favoured by occultists like?
  • Oh come now, it's fucking obvious. An occultist pub has a big sign on the window saying: "kids must leave the premises by 7pm ... Unless they're the offspring of Baphomet"

Baphomet! He's a goat! 

Kids: It's a pun! Like children! 

Hahahahahaha!

Oh sod you, then.
    All of the fresh food gone. Completely empty shelves in half the store late this afternoon. Anyone know why?

Weather related rush? Dramatic fridge breakdown?
  • IanIan
    @nick10 - the latter. Went in this morning at 10am and they were putting all the cold foods in big bin bags. Fridges broke overnight. Guy doing the clearing was recounting tale of woman who had been in first thing. They told her there was no cold foods because of the break down. She said "do you have any milk" he said, no the fridge is broken down. She said "do you have any cheese", he said no the fridge is broken down. She said "what about butter". I think he remained patient.
  • RoyRoy
    They were just stocking up the fridge with milk when I was there an hour ago so I guess it's fixed now.
    Tesco has stolen a march on Sainsbury's and is stocking north staffordshire oatcakes
  • IanIan
    @Dion WOO HOO. I will now have to ignore their third rate service for a taste of home each week.
    they are round near the pitta, soda breads and crumpets if not enough of them are bought, then they may drop off again so i would recommend regular and large purchases just to make sure.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sgcsgc
    @ADGS - Our local Big Tesco has recently got self service checkouts which also let you THROW CHANGE IN (whereas our Small Tesco has older ones that have no truck with such recklessness) so perhaps if you all vandalise the existing checkouts they will be replaced with the snazzy new ones?
    I think the tesco selling oatcakes story was just a cruel hoax..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @slats - it's true. Despite being from the north I had never sampled the delights of an oatcake until I spotted some reduced in Tesco a couple of months back. I am now hopelessly addicted.