Good old Sainsbury's

edited November 2011 in About this site
Just popped into my local convenience store for something for lunch and fancied a snack. I love Twiglets. ( either you do or you don't. ) Picked up a 150 gram packet and was about to walk of when I realised the wanted £2.85! Thats almost 2p a gram for a wheat based snack. Thieving bastards. Damn I'm cross and the guy checking the price could see nothing wrong. Maybe I'm just loosing it.

Comments

• £1.68 at Asda.com. It's a really poor convenience store. Expensive, and the product mix is all over the place.
  • I was also recently shocked at the price of Twiglets. They're a similar price in Tesco. They are becoming prohibitively expensive. Not sure why?<br>
  • It has been a bad year for Twiglet farmers. Marmite blight struck again this year.
  • My price gripe is the mozzerella.  They now only stock Taste the Difference which is £1.60 something, far too expensive to put on a pizza!  It's interesting that in the 2 years that Sainsbury has been there the mozzerella on sale has gone from Basics -> Low Fat -> Standard -> Taste the Difference, and in doing so has gone up in price by over 300%.<br>
  • <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><FONT face=Calibri size=3>Vote with your feet and go to Lidl, the <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>cheese is okay the Shropshire Blue is ace !</FONT></P>
  • I'm hoping the new sainsburys by FP station, as it is in a lower income area will have the basics or standard mozzerella.  Lidl is a trek.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • edited November 2011
    <p> Lidl is less than 5 minutes walk from where that Sainsburys will be. Have you tried the new greengrocers? They might sell it. </p><p>That end is not really lower income, as evidenced by the fact that the rents are higher than at the other end and we have all the nice restaurants.</p>
  • The smaller Sainsburys tend to have higher prices - and that one looks like it'll be pretty dinky!<br><br>Plus, they'll have plenty of business from people leaving the tube station, so they'll be able to get away with it. Hmph. <br>
  • <div>Lower income impression may be formed by the corner of Rock street and Blackstock road, which are quite an exception.</div><div><br></div><div>The actual reason why there was no chain shops on the Blackstock Rd side is the bloody community fighting back. They had a successful campaign against Sainsbury invasion in Highbury Barn, and current opening on Blackstock rd is surrounded by moaning.</div>
  • The big Sainsbury's at the bottom of Green Lanes is selling Twiglet multipacks (x12 packets) for £3.50.<br>
  • The door on Vista ground floor was open this morning and I had a look in. The space is really tiny, it looked barely bigger than a petrol station supermarket. Smaller than the ex-Woody's Sainsbury's I think.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the Lidl mozzarella heads up.  I had thought the Lidl was down towards the Hornsey Road junction, I don't tend to head east from Finsbury Park station very often...<br>
  • In terms of being lower income, the Sainsburys by Finsbury Park is in a much more deprived location (IMD 2010) than the Sainsburys on Stroud Green Road.<br><br>Sainsburys use MOSAIC data to define what their shops sell.  A quick selection of postcodes surrounding these two sainsburys show:<br><br>Finsbury Park (new) Sainsbury:<br>Mainly re-housed migrants, some Multicultural Towers to the west<br><br>Stroud Green Road (ex Woodys) Sainsburys:<br>Mostly Urban Cool and Bright Young Things, some re-housed migrants to the west<br><br><br>
  • <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">Stroud Greeb Road: "Mostly Urban Cool and Bright Young Things" - I think this is what Kreuzkav doesn't like about it.</span>
  • This was mostly postcodes around Stapleton Hall Road, Albert Road, Victoria Road and Mount Crescent Pleasant.<br>
  • <p>I haven't been to Lidl for a long time.  I really like it anytime I go there.  Better than Tescos.</p><p> </p><p>@ Andy, I like cool but, fake cool is boring.  Some bearded hipster with an ipad is not cool. Some drunk idiot in a bad job or unemployed but has lived a life anyday!!</p>
  • <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">What a striking coincidence that from all Mostly Urban Cool and Bright Young Things this forum attracted mostly grey moaners.</span>
  • edited December 2011
    <p>Moaning is the new cool!  </p><p>By the way my previous comment was a poor attempt at a joke.</p><p> </p>
  • they didn't have plain flour. is annoying. 
  • edited August 2012
    I see The new Sainsbury's is now open to midnight!
  • The new Sainburys is open? Or are we talking about a different one now?
  • edited August 2012
    Opposite Mind ...
  • I suppose it's newer than the New River...
  • RoyRoy
    edited August 2012
    The new, new Sainsbury's has a sign now - looks like the shopfront will be done soon, and we will hopefully get our pavement back before long....<br><br>ETA: Then again - maybe they'll finish the shopfront and just leave the hoardings up for the next 6 months just for the hell of it.  It's not like they're likely to give a damn about what we think.<br>
  • It is the longest shop fitting I have ever seen.<div>Not only do Sainsburys appear to have royally pissed off their potential customers but Islington Council have once again proved their ineptitude at doing their job!</div><div><br></div><div>This morning walking passed I was pushed out in to the road by some berk carrying a big sheet of ply.</div><div>If as they are when they have doors open block the whole of the pavement they should put out a sign to close the cycle path and erect barriers to allow pedestrians to safely pass without worrying about cyclists in the cycles lane or vehicles in the road.</div>
  • The new, new Sainsbury's was open this morning, so I popped in to check it out.  It somehow feels bigger than I had been expecting.  Looked quite busy this evening, too.<br><br>roy<br>
  • Looks very nice from the street too (or as nice as a small shop can look), all open glazing and no adverts covering the front.