Greengrocers and Gay Sauna

Comments

• Called in a few days ago and spent £17 on fruit and veg , good produce which was £3.50 cheaped than Tesco,no queue and  nicer people.<br>
  • I would use delivery too - I use Abel & Cole as is, but could switch. 
  • IanIan
    edited December 2011
    Purposefully didn't buy fruit and veg at big Sainsbury's today so that we got it at the shop. <br>
  • Just bought a selection of veg - looks like a very useful addition to SGR.
  • I popped in earlier - great selection of produce! I shall be spending this week testing the theory that there's no such thing as too many vegetables. <br>
  • Love the new greengrocers. So much cheaper than sainsburys. Great selection as well. Points that would make it even better are: 1. Wherever possible seasonal, local produce. Loving the kale and cavalo Nero at the moment 2. If anything is British, then for it to be labeled. This is more for the loose produce 3. Fair trade bananas already stopped buying f&v from anywhere else. Keep up the good work
  • IanIan
    edited December 2011
    I don't agree on the local issue. What is best for the environment is far more complicated than that. <br><br>http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/mar/23/food.ethicalliving <br><br>http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/11/14/the-inefficiency-of-local-food/ <br>
  • <P>Local and seasonal just tastes better. And it's more interesting - you get to look forward to raspberries rather than have them all year round. </P> <P>Ash - thanks for opening your great shop. May I have interesting apples? </P>
  • and a really good range of tomatoes - not just big or small, please.<br>
  • I bet if you only had running water for a couple of months, rather than all year round, you'd look forward to that too. Wouldn't make it an improvement.<br>
  • We have a few types of tomato but i could bring more in,there are so many different types. As for the apples i buy different ones everytime i go. We have 8 different apples, and i believe 4 of them are english.
  • <EM>Kale and cavalo nero?   </EM>I'm down there.
  • @ADGS<;div><br></div><div>Not eating raspberries out of season unlikely to lead to cholera or not showering. Likely to lead to more interesting, varied diet because more willing to try different things over the year.<div><br><br><div><br></div></div></div>
  • edited December 2011
    There are always things that are out of season but still get imported, as some people need it all year round. Like raspberries, people will ask for all sorts of things all year round,eg for cakes. I run a business that sells a specific product so i have to make sure i have what is demanded. The thing about local british grown things are that there isnt a massive variety thanks to our cold weather. Some people prefer british and some prefer imports as certain things grow better in other countries. I try to get a bit of both to keep everyone happy. But there is one thing for sure, every fruit or vegetable has a home country where it grows best,its just geography :) british doesnt mean its always the best. However it does put the money back into our economy instead of foriegn countries.
  • Absolutely delighted that this shop has opened and can't wait to go there. <br>
  • edited December 2011
    I think the shop is good and will definitely try and go in there every week.   I bought a giant cauliflower for 99p which fed four people.<div><br></div><div>What often sends me down to the Broadway grocers in Crouch End though is their selection of herbs and spices.   Things like mace blades are really hard to find in supermarkets, but they seem to have everything in the Broadway place.  Anyway more spices would be good, as well as more varieties of potatoes.</div>
  • I'm not sure if it's because I've been shopping for F&V in supermarkets too long but I was a little disappointed with the new place.  I thought that a lot of the produce seemed a bit battered and old in comparison to the supermarket, cheap yes, but not all that appealing.  It was a Sunday afternoon and I'm not sure how that affects the stock levels.  Will try a few more times as I'd much rather support a local business but i'm still to be impressed.. <br>
  • Uh-oh,here we go........
  • oh bugger just wrote a long post about the new veg shop and it has disappeared.<br><br>I always shop carefully for fruit and veg and having a little green lanes action on our doorstep is  brilliant.  The green lanes style veg and salad is always way better - not necessarily so good on apples, plums, bananas.  And have to say that the our new veg shop's  calvo nero at 99p was fantastic as was big shiny avo's (3 for 1.20), fresh rocket 69p, cucumbers (3 for £1) clems and lemons - all fresh (and carefully selected by me Mrs Picky).  This house full of vegetarians is very happy to welcome them.    <br>
  • The new grocer is brilliant. It combines an attractive space and good selection worthy of a posh greengrocer in Crouch End or somewhere with prices virtually as low as Green Lanes. The produce was much riper and tastier than insipid supermarket stuff, e.g. the vine tomatoes that are also half the price. As Norton says, Tesco deserves to lose a lot of custom to the new shop.  <br><br>Jerusalem artichoke soup delicious but very dangerous stuff...<br>
  • I have to say my celery was a bit flaccid BUT I'm not complaining, it was a humungous sized plant, good value and has been extremely tasty.   Nothing at all like the brittle, flavourless pre-packaged stuff you get in Tesco. Probably a lot fresher too.
  • Bought a basket full of veg at the weekend for less than £10.  All good quality except for the red onions which were very poor, 2 of the 3 were rotten inside.<br>
  • I'd give the grapes, satsumas and bananas a big thumbs up. Customer service could have been better.
  • <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><FONT face=Calibri size=3>It is an excellent addition to the street</FONT></P>
  • Went in twice last week. In general, the produce is decent quality. Good prices, too. Unfortunately, they're not getting enough turnover yet. The first time I went in, I got some lovely beetroots. When I went in a few days later, the beets were a bit rubbery and wrinkly. Clearly, it was still the same batch.<br><br>If we want consistently fresh fruit and veg, we need to buy more.<br>
  • Lychees, apples, pomegranates and aubergines all good. Customer service fine too. Will go back.
  • Been a few times.  The best new shop on the road for years! Friendly staff.  I hope it can keep going.
  • <P>i was constipated and had run out of kellogs bran flakes (which I find are usually effective in clearing a blockage, so to speak) so i bought some fruit n veg from this shop;and it got the job done.Perhaps the gay sauna would have had the same effect,i wouldn't know...</P> <P>just saying...</P> <P>nice to see some of the more lower class readers of sg.org having a good discussion here...</P> <P>carry on</P>