Pappagone or Porchetta

Comments

• edited 2:33AM
    “I’m scared to order out now,” she added. “I don’t want to eat out anywhere now.” Chantelle needs a reality check methinks. Its a caterpillar. On a leaf. I suspect they saw an opportunity to be dicks about it and save £500.
    What an over-reaction on Chantelle's part. Caterpillars are a hazard associated with eating salad. It's not like she found a finger in her calzone.
    Never mind Porc v Papp, looks like we're going to re-run the "live creature in salad - is it a big deal?" debate. Come on Andy.
    There's a deal on at Porchetta today: <http://www.groupon.co.uk/in/.Ulh2Pl>; £23 instead of £58 for a three course Italian meal for two including garlic bread, any pizza or pasta from the main menu, wine for two, ice cream desserts, coffees and liqueurs at La Porchetta Pizzeria - Save 60%
    I HATE PAPPAGONE

I LOVE PROCHETTA
    I've never been to either.
    VENEZIA IS THE BESTEST.
    I LOVE THE SECRET PIZZA PLACE.
  • AliAli
    edited 2:33AM
    It seems that La Porcheta has a web site and you can sign up for a specials Newsletter <http://www.laporchetta.net/>; Pappagone doesn't seem to have one
  • They are both pretty rubbish.

PappaG at least has some kind of atmosphere, but basically they are shite in equal measure.

If I had to I would choose PappaG but really I'd rather choose neither.
    Then I could make my own Pizza and get my girlfriend to ignore me instead, and treat me with contempt instead.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've always erred to the side of PappaG for the same reasons. It never really bothered me that the pizzas weren't that great - they're no better in Porc. or Venezia come to think of it. My next door neightbour built a clay pizza oven in the garden and his are head and shoulders better tasting than from any restaurant. Alternatively I buy a bog-standard pizza from Londis an jazz it up myself ie. chuck loads more cheese, chilli, chorizo etc. on it and make sure the base is crusty. mmm, pizza.
    I gave up on the SGR ones, went to Firezza - but then their dough went inexplicably over salty, went to Lupa. They've just changed hands and the pizza just ain't as good. So I'm thinking of getting in to making my own too now. Anyone got any views on the [domestic sourdough pizza](http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/15844/sourdough-pizza-good-kitchen-oven-pizzas-get) concept?
  • <P>My Italian teacher, who is proper Napoletana (a young woman from Naples), and doesn't take any shit from anybody, goes to Pappagone and knows Marco and her verdict is - just about one of the best Italian pizzerie in London.  So there.</P>
  • @Krappy, I'm Milanese, so in Neapolitan terms barely Italian, but for what it's worth I agree with her. <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • My friend from Milan says the same - but she says it about La Porchetta!<br><br><br>
  • <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><FONT face=Calibri size=3>The Pizzas at least the carry out ones are much better from Porchetta, <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>the Pagga ones get soggy on the way home.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>I think the Pasta is better in Porchetta as well. </FONT></P>
  • My Italian pal is Papp's all the way. In my experience pizzas vary from region to region in Italy - I prefer Roman pizza. Perhaps that explains our Italian friends plumping for one or t'other?
  • Has anyone been to Porchetta recently?  The re-opening was such a fiasco that I haven't been since, but the waiters at Pappagonne are a tad overfriendly with my missus.<br>
  • They're Italian, they can't help themselves.
  • edited December 2011
    <A href="http://www.just-eat.co.uk">www.just-eat.co.uk</A> if you type your postcode into this website you can see several takeaway food shops that deliver food to your area; and order a takeaway online.
  • It got much better once the dust settled on the La Porchetta refurb but still had a slight air of chaos to it occasionally.<br><br>They seem to have a whole new team in there in recent weeks and in the two times I've been in service was good and probably better, although I used to get on well with the previous chap running it.<br><br>I always work on a service in a pizza place is never going to match what I expect from a posh meal out principle though. My basic requirements are get offered a drink, get food ordered, get food correct, obtain more drinks.<br>
  • Pappa G seems to have a real buzz and wider range of food. I remember going to Porcetta years ago when I lived in Highgate (which has a very good pizza place on the hill) Porc was, I think much bigger then with party room. But going again recently it's not as lively as it used to be. The pizzas are massive tho (almost 2 big for one).
  • edited January 2012
    Diavolo on Crouch Hill<br>
  • @miss annie: December 2011, They're Italian, they can't help themselves. "They're Italian, they can't help themselves"? Woah! There is nothing like resorting to a crass stereotype ... Recently we have had elsewhere on this site similar crassness to pigeon-hole Algerians and Arabs .... Please guys, shape up!
  • <P>@gardener-joe.  She's a woman.  She can't help herself.</P> <P>*Ducks under table and puts tin hat on*</P> <P>:-)</P>
  • I'm very sorry if I've offended our Italian community but the Italian people that I've met are much more fabulously effervescent, exuberent and yes, flirtatious than the average Brit. I think it's splendid.
  • I think the knitting group's banned from Pappagone, so Porchetta by default, even though I've never eaten there.<br>
  • Do you mean the thing with the banoffi pie?I went back later, and sorted it out.