Railway Bridge ???

AliAli
edited January 2012 in About this site
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><FONT face=Calibri size=3>Does anyone know what is going on down at the<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Station<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Bridges ?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Road humps, scaffolding, <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>temporary metal structures ?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Cement lorry nearly stuck this morning, saw it being reversed out with police help </FONT></P>

Comments

• They have finished painting the Forth Bridge so started on SG bridges?
  • Good question.  I asked one of the lads putting up the scaffolding, and he said he didn't know!<br>
  • I think is something to do with lengthening and bringing back into use platforms above, rather than improving appearance at street level.<div><br></div><div>It really annoys me - Network Rail are spending a lot of money improving the environment for passengers at platform level. But at the same time they are ignoring the poor environment under the bridges which has a pretty negative effect on the surrounding area (particularly the Seven Sisters Road bridges) and which ultimately they are responsible for. In my opinion!</div>
  • Ah yes, could be the Thameslink works.<br><br>I quite like what they’ve done with the lighting underneath the bridges, but the glazing on the tiles is knackered. It needs a full reclad of some kind. I wonder what’s under those white glazed tiles. If the answer is brick then stripping off the tiles and giving the exposed surface a sand-blast might be a relatively cheap option.<br>
  • They're building a new tesco express store
  • Network Rail ran a consultation evening just before Christmas about this.   It is a combination of preparation for some Thameslink trains running up to Cambridge up the ECML and line capacity enhancements.   Alexandra Palace will see some corresponding works too.<div><br></div><div>They are lengthening several platforms to take 12 car trains and bringing a freight-line back into passenger service, along with its currently disused platform.  This will presumably require reinstating the stair-case up to it, which, I think is currently occupied by a coffee-bar.   We can also expect some accessibility improvements - but I haven't seen plans for them.  The Engineer from Network Rail hadn't seen the plans for these, so couldn't confirm whether they were in any way connected to London Underground's abandoned scheme.</div><div><br></div><div>What I guess lots of people won't know is that there's a huge bricked off area beneath the station that was at one time the station concourse.  Pretty much all that's left of this still open to the public are the two corridors to the NR platforms and London Underground platforms.  London Underground's scheme for accessibility involved opening a bit more (but not all) of this up and installing lifts</div><div><br></div><div>As for the tiling beneath, I remember a consultation from LBI about 18 months ago where they said they anticipated Network Rail cleaning it in the next few years.  We can only hope. </div>
  • I didn't think the LUL scheme was cancelled - just postponed for several years? The NR scheme only ever involved lifts to the NR platforms and I imagine that hasn't changed.<br><br>Anyone know whether there are any plans to fix the various leaks in the bridges - the EC HST sets still don't have retention toilets, do they?  What's the betting some of those drips are water that's been seeping through the ballast?<br><br>roy<br>
  • Eww.<br><br>Thanks for the updates gents.<br>
  • Have we not known that for years?  That document is over a year old.  I can't recall whether the revised depot application was granted, but I think it was.<br><br><br>
  • The new depot got planning approval.<br><br>Finsbury Park doesn't get linked into Thameslink until Jan 2018, a small chance that it might be a bit earlier than that, but unlikely. A consultation on where the new services will go from Finsbury Park to will probably start in a couple of months' time.<br>
  • sg_mike ... is there a link to more info?
  • I'd like to know when the Hornsey depot will be complete.  It has been suggested that the new link from Thameslink to the ECML might be in use from 2015 for stock movements, or that stock might be moved via the GOBLIN.  Either way, Thameslink trains may be due to be serviced at Hornsey years before they actually supply a passenger service at Finsbury Park (which cannot start until work finishes at London Bridge in 2018).<br>
  • There's a fair bit on the thameslink programme website <http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk>; about what gets finished and when, and some more stuff on the franchise replacement on the department for transport website <http://www.dft.gov.uk>. Two depots are being built, one at Hornsey, one at Three Bridges, so there isn't an immediate need to transfer stock between the two lines before they're connected, although they can fairly easily transfer them between Hornsey and Cricklewood anyway along the Gospel Oak line if they needed to (or along the North London Line).<br><br><br>