Your Finsbury Park conference TODAY at CANDI @ 1-5pm

edited January 2012 in Local discussion
I am going to this today - am involved in a discussion to do with the natural environment. Will have my plant nursery hat on. Is anyone else coming?<br>

Comments

• I was there.  What did you think?<br><br>Great contribution during the workshops by the head of the Blackstock Road traders' assocation.  He clearly understood all of the problems very well.  He is from the Algerian community, but confronted my prejudices by seeming to understand very well what some women's concerns would be.<br><br>The Chair of the Stroud Green Traders' Association was also there, who happens to be the MD of Pak's.  He told us some interesting bits of information.  Pak's own even more of SGR than you might think, including one of the newsagents and the Topic Records building, which they currently use for storage but are about to fit out.  They also own the Nisa!<br><br>Lots of councillors were there, as were Lynne Featherstone and Jeremy Corbyn.<br><br>One councillor gave a robust defence of Islington's policy towards the John Jones development, but I still think their position is poorly evidenced and makes perfection the enemy of the good.<br>
  • edited January 2012
    I enjoyed it. I chatted to the Blackstock traders' assoc guy afterwards - such a nice guy. I'm going to try and do more to support the shops (other than my old favourites), including his cafe. I thought the discussion I was in, on the environment, was reasonably good quality. Really pleased that there's some new blood on the Fin Future board - people have often said they felt they weren't really doing what they were supposed to. Jeremy C is a good guy too.<br>I thought what that councillor said about student accommodation not contributing to regeneration is probably valid. Worth remembering that councils don't really gain much by resisting plans - they're doing it for a reason. What is crazy is when planners manage to get through ridiculous and locally rejected plans, as with the conversion of a established shop in Brecknock Road (been going for over 30 yrs) - Bumblebee - to flats. The developer appeals and the council decides it can't afford the legal costs.<br>I just looked up 'perfunction'. Thanks for adding to my vocabulary! Based on that councillor's response, I don't think there's any evidence that Islington's decision was thoughtless. I thought he had a coherent argument about the ideal mix of development that would work on that particular site. Know something more?<br>
  • @Jo Homan: out of curiosity what did the councillor say about student accommodation?<br>
  • I think his argument is coherent too.  My point is this: the proposed development <i>is</i> a high-quality mixed-use plan, with business (an expanded premises for a well-regarded local employer), affordable housing, and new retail in addition to the student rooms.<br><br>The main argument against the current design is that the student residents would be transient and seasonal.  That has to be weighed against both their economic and cultural contribution to the area.  Also, there is nothing absolutely preventing the accomodation changing use in future. <br><br>The likely scenario resulting from prevention of this development is the departure of John Jones, and subsequent reduction of local employment.  In addition, the site would probably remain a brownfield eyesore for years.  And there is no guarantee that any subsequent development would be better.  Indeed the aesthetic quality of the current plan is streets ahead of a lot of other comparable projects in London.<br><br>Again, I think it's making the best (or the ideal, as you put it) the enemy of the good.<br><br><br>
  • I thought it was good too. And well attended. <div><br></div><div>For those that were there, I will break my web-cover and disclose that I was the one who summed up the business workshop discussions. </div><div><br></div><div>I was really interested to hear the MD from Paks and the Traders Assoc. I think we can expect some more of these meetings. I would encourage anyone who is interested to make contact with Talal at FinFuture and get involved. Yes, the charity has had a tough year, or so, but it owns buildings on Seven Sisters Road which makes it sustainable and can, I think, be a force for good. Just needs some motivated and interested people.</div><div><br></div><div>Leziz is to be thanked (plugged) for the free lunch. Also, the college for hosting it for free - an amazing space back there but terrible acoustics!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • I couldn't make it. Can I ask - did anything come up with regards to trying to get traders to reduce use of plastic bags in the area....<br>
  • Not that I heard, but maybe it came up in the environment workshop.<br>
  • Do you know how I can find out?
  • Yes, I'll get back to you. A<br>
  • <p>Thanks. I read on another strand that a group of people were trying to get I(heart)SG canvas bags done but would be great if we, as a community could try and push for less plastic bags or educate the shops always asking before offering the bags or getting the big stories to pilot a paper bag scheme or something.</p><p>I wonder if we could get a working party together on this?</p><p> </p>