Curry Wars

AliAli
edited February 2012 in About this site
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">About to happen at 5 Ways !</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Quote from Exotic of India, they are Pakistani this is madness !</font></div>

Comments

• Why so many? Which is da best? Chang
  • What kind of curry war? Onion bhajis in sling shots, boiling Chicken Phall tipped from windows?<br>
  • Dinner box is great for takeaway.<br><br>Not Stroud Green but I used to love the Sitara on holloway road. Not sure if they're still on it.<br><br>Where else is good in SG?<br>
  • Jai krishner is good veggie but very basic setting. Not good for a romantic night but good for a lads night out and excellent take away. Chang
  • Oh yeah, I forgot. It's good, but I do miss chicken and lamb. <br><br>I took a girl there once on a date. It worked out so I reckon it's ok in the romance stakes :)<br>
  • Can't see past Dinner Box. There's a fish thing that's really sweet and amazing. I only know it as 'delicious fish' though.
  • Dhonia in Tolly (Tollington Park) deliver curry and big pint sized bottles of Cobra  beer... see their website for menu...
  • Red Rose Tandoori on Holloway Road - they love the Darkness and Lady Di though<br>
  • Exotic of India has very good bombay potatoes, vegetable curry and lamb dhal massala... I'm addicted to them. <br>
  • i like a medium hot chicken curry,sagaloo ( which is spinach and potatoes),pilau rice,popadoms.Not nan bread as that is too much food I find.Perhaps mixed vegatable curry.It is a good service that Dhonia deliver beers...
  • I found an exotic insect in my lamb from Red Rose a few years ago. Haven't been back but I haven't heard horror stories from anyone else so it must have been a one-off stray.
  • We have begun to use Dhonia rather than Dinner Box. The King prawn dhansak is great, and we prefer the way they do their aubergine. Delivery time always good too.<br>
  • Dinner Box, every time. Everything we've had has been great. Particular highlights are the lamb samosas, the chicken bhuna and my personal favourite the Himalayan lamb. The one time I tried Exotic (I was in need of a curry and DB was closed) the food was atrocious, all in different ways. Never again.
  • edited February 2012
    I haven't had a bad experience with dinner box yet.<br>Me and the other half get one in occasionally and it's always superb. <br><br>I love that green minty yoghurt sauce, makes me go a bit mental.<br><br>edit: will give dhonia a try tho...<br>
  • It will be interesting to  see how the new one does against all the competition
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">not SGR but probably deliver around the area. </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">anyone tried the Balti King on 509 Hornsey Road? some very funny quotes on their flyer but all reviews seem very good so might have to try it. </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I had a curry from Everest Spice 53 Hornsey Road and it was very good (lamb shank in a tomato/chick pea sauce)  </font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">I don't rate exotic india at all and Dhonia is ok. </div></div>
  • I've had a bad experience with Dinnerbox and will never ever eat there again!  <br><br>My partner and I ordered from them at the end of last year and not only did it arrive late but the order was wrong - they had missed out one of the curries.  I rang them up and explained what happened, they were really rude and denied making a mistake (even though we'd paid for the curry!)<br><br>After a bit of arguing they sent round another curry, however it looked and smelt disgusting!  Both my partner and I were shocked and wouldn't touch it - there was definitely something wrong with it. <br><br>I've eaten that same curry twice before this incident through Dinnerbox and I know what it usually looks (and smells) like.<br><br>Eurgh.<br><br>Never again!  We order from Sweet Lemon now which is very good. <br>
  • Dinnerbox is unquestionably our first choice. It used to be Jai Krishna but I find the food there rather oily. Spicing and freshness from Dinnerbox is excellent, although they must have had the spicy chef working there last time we ordered, as everything was pretty damn hot. <br>
  • The new Curry Centre seems to be more like a kebab shop?
  • Ate at Jai Krishna earlier this week.  Starters not bad, although the dosa was a bit of a doorstop.  The mains, however, were pretty woeful.  The moong dal had no evident spicing, aromatics or seasoning, the okra curry consisted of a few bits of that veg drowned in greasy onion gravy (also unseasoned & unspiced) and the chilli paneer was swimming in oil which seemed to have been laced with some violent food colouring.  Not much taste to that either.<div><br></div><div>I love Indian vegetarian food and I so, so wanted to like the place, but it was one of the poorest curry meals I've ever had.  Did I just go on a bad night?</div>
  • It's interesting that you mention this, as we ate there last night and had a very similar experience. <div><br></div><div><span style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; ">Previously the food was fresh, well spiced and really tasty - but last night, it was pretty awful. The curries were sludgy, greasy and almost indistinguishable from each other, and also lukewarm. I had a similar experience a couple of months ago, but wanted to give Jai Krishna another chance - we won't be hurrying back unfortunately. Anyone else had similar experiences recently? </span></div><div><span style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; "><br></span></div>
  • I saw someone mention Balti King and thought I should add a comment. We used to order from there and enjoyed the food. The last experience was not good. They did not deliver part of the order, and when called said it will be with you in 40 min or you can pick it up. And the food was below the standard it used to be. Something had definitely changed. 
  • I've heard bad accounts about Jai Krishna before but have always had good food experiences there and have been going there for over fifteen years.    I only go in a few times a year and maybe I'm lucky but most people I know who've gone there have only good things to say about it.  As the price is low I don't expect too much but I always feel it exceeds the price.  Maybe the chef/cook makes a difference? 
  • <div>It could well have been an unfamiliar hand in the kitchen that night, but the cooking errors - chiefly, making the food taste good - were basic.  As a chef (and having lived in India for a year), it was a bit frustrating.</div><div><br></div><div>However, I'd be delighted to hear that my experience was a one-off and that I could expect a better meal if I returned.  </div>
  • I've always thought the curries were awful, luke warm, mushy and tasteless.   That goes back over 20 years.  They used to be really salty.  I really like the starters though.   The bhajis, kachoris and dosas are very tasty.  I normally go with those, then maybe one curry with the lovely puris and the jera aloo which is good.<div><br></div><div>I'm not sure why they don't improve the curries or change the menu.   It's been the same for decades.   They're always busy though, so maybe they don't feel the need to.</div>
  • Never tried the curries.  I don't think I will now. As I said I always was lucky and don't like salt.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Agree with Misscara. Dinner box is same price as Tiffin Tin but not as good- and no discount for collection which is a pain as just round the corner, gave it a try but back to Tiffin. Sometimes we mix and match and get bhaji s from Jai Krishna and the rest from Tiffin Tin.