Police Medics to Patrol Tube

edited June 2012 in About this site
<P><FONT color=#0e774a>This is to enable the Underground to get the trains moving again.</FONT></P> <P><FONT color=#0e774a><A href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18145265">www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-<B>london</B>-18145265</A></FONT><SPAN class=flc> </SPAN></P>

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Err ... 20 at various locations ... "millions of extra visitors" ... what proportion of these 20 will ever be on duty at any one time, and even then how often will that proportion ever be in the right place at the right time ... and not already dealing with some other police-related matter? Overall benefit probably almost nil!
  • Joe you do nothing but moan. This is good news for anyone who uses the tube. Chang
  • edited June 2012
    ... pot ... kettle ...
  • They do say this is a trial.  Presumably if the medical training proves useful then many more police will receive the training in future.<br><br>So yes, 20 trained police staff won't make a huge differece.  But it will hopefully help the BTP come to an informed opinion as to whether giving medical training to police officers is useful or not.<br>
  • That is a valid point, Joe - there are a limited number of officers spread over a lot of stations but Chang and Roy are right.  This is a trial and if sufficiently successful I expect numbers may be increased.
  • Why are the Police now doing the job of the ambulance service?
  • <P>We're not entirely doing the job of the Ambulance service.  Quite often incidents where the Ambulance service are called can be dealt with very simply without the need for an Ambulance to attend.  This can help to speed up the amount of time it takes for the person to be seen and gets the trains moving again.</P> <P>This helps the Ambulance service by freeing them up to attend where they need to.</P>
  • I see your point. Not sure I agree totally with it though. I think the police take on too much when other public agencies/services should be playing their part. Police seem to always be the catch all service. It would be much better for TFL staff to be medically trained as the article suggests and leave BTP to concentrate on detecting and reducing crime
  • The BTP 'on the beat' so to speak surely spend a lot of their time standing, walking, or otherwise waiting for an incident that they need to respond to.  Sure, their presence in public areas deters crime, but while they're standing on the platform detering (as I often see them do) is it a bad thing if they can respond usefully should a medical emergency occur on the platform?<br><br>roy<br>
  • edited June 2012
    What % of the people who are 'ill' on the tube are drunk? (as it seems to be that 70% of people on the tube after 10:30pm are)
  • Excellent news, thanks