Does anyone know what Birnam Road is like? in Stroud Green

edited June 2012 in General chat
Hi , my boyfriend and I are thinking of buying a place in Birnam Road in Stroud Green, We are a bit worried about being so close to Andover Estate, and wondered if anyone has lived there or close by or know of anyone who has. <div><br></div><div>Thanks in advance,</div><div><br></div><div>Bethan</div>

Comments

• The Andover Estate is not a problem. I have lived on the edge of it for 15 years with no issues and walk through it at night feeling completely safe. It reputation is undeserved. Like most places in the area Birnam Road is a very mixed street, so it really will depend on who your neighbours are.  Your best bet is to visit the street at different times of day and make a judgment.   
  • Live at the entrance of the Andover and has been no problems at all. My motorbike although its behind the fence has been fine and we walk through the estate all the time. Hardly anything happening around here really.<div><br></div><div>Sometimes get a couple scooters racing, but rarely</div><div>No gangs</div><div>No noise</div><div>No traffic</div><div>Mixed people</div><div>Close to the park</div><div>Close to Tescos and more importantly Ajani which I was at last night</div><div><br></div><div>But im moving</div><div>Crouch End</div><div>Nicer there</div><div><br></div><div>Just kidding</div><div>Moray Road</div><div>Few Doors up</div><div><br></div><div>Good luck with the house</div><div><br></div><div>Sham</div>
  • Another yes vote. The Andover's fine to live near.
  • Personally I am not keen on Birnham Road.  I live on Tollington Park very near Birnham Road and the feel of the two roads is very different.  There are sometimes groups of young men hanging around the entrance to the estate.  They are not necessarily doing anything wrong, but it does make me feel uncomfortable as a lone female and I don't walk that way at night.  I wouldn't feel safe walking through the estate at night though, so maybe I am just a wimp! <div><br></div><div>There is also a flat on Birnham Road that often has loud parties in the garden that go on all night, so I am grateful that I don't live next to them.  I don't want to be negative, as I am sure a lot of great people live in the area, but this is my honest impression.  </div><div><br></div><div>Flats on that road are not really cheaper than flats on much nicer roads in the area.  I also looked at one there but now that I know the area better I am glad I didn't move there.   </div>
  • I'm Moray Rd too - Andover end. I can see the estate from my front gate. No problems, dead quiet tree lined streets - highly recommended. There is a top floor flat at the entrance to Birnam (at the opposite end to the church) that practices their drumming and singing in the evenings. Not sure how late they go on but I'd recommend walking down there in the evenings a couple of times just to see if you can hear it and if it bothers you. It's mainly the Beatles so not really offensive.
  • I walk through the estate at night as does my friend who is Kylie sized. Never any sniff of danger.There is a regular little group of youths that hang out on the corner but they don't seem to be up to anything and I saw two of them helping their mums at the church fete a couple of months ago.
  • FWIW, I'd argue that Birnam is much quieter than Tollington Park (almost no traffic) and that I've never felt threatened walking down it or noticed threatening youths hanging about. Either way, good luck with the house hunting- it's a miserably stressful time.
  • Yes, Birnham is definitely quieter than Tollington traffic-wise and in general I really like being at this side of FP / SG with Holloway a short walk away, and the tube, plus busses on Holloway Road, Hornsey Road and Seven Sisters Road.<div><br></div><div>Best of luck with your house search!</div>
  • <p>There are a lot of families who have been on the Andover for a long time.  It is a very family oriented estate, as almost all the properties there are family size.   I guess I am not scared of the kids cos I have been here so long that I have known most of them since they were toddlers and none of them has ever treated me with anything other than respect.  To be honest I feel a lot safer walking through the estate than on the main roads as I know if you scream on the estate people will definetely help. </p><p> </p>
  • Houses in Birnam road have those lovely tiles in the porches. I'm always jealous of the iris ones when I walk down there. <br>
  • It's not horrible or very dangerous, but it is one of the cheapest roads to buy/rent on for a reason.
  • Presumably that it's right next to an estate that has previously had some issues. Bad reps take a long time to disappear...
  • I have lived in Birnam Rd for 15 years and no issues with estate or generally. I don't go through the estate - never have? - don't see why you would need to. Also I don't directly adjoin it but am v close to it and no problems. No traffic since they closed access from Moray Road so no traffic noise and hardly any traffic generally (you would only need to come to Birnam Rd to get to a property here). As for neighbours - like most of London you never know who you will end up with but if neighbours are noisy complain /do something about it. These kind of forums should help on that. A while back we had very noisy people at corner house on Tollington Road (2 T Rd I think) but they have long gone. I am new to this site - my first post! Looks great.
  • <P>@<;SPAN class=Author><A href="/profile/701/miss%20annie">miss annie</A> </SPAN></P> <P><SPAN class=Author>Combination of factors I would suggest, proximity to the estate as mentioned, front yards in slightly less good nick than some neighbouring roads, building stock slightly less aesthetically appealing than more traditional victorian roads (non red colour etc). Nothing disparaging, I'd happily live there! </SPAN></P>
  • I lived on Birnam Road in a shared house for 5 years and moved from the area recently.<div><br></div><div>It's a mixed bag really.  There are a few loons on the road, a few shared houses with younger people, some families, some dodgy types.  Personally, having had a bedroom that faced the street, noise was at times an issue.  I'm sure it's dead quiet if you sleep in a room away from the street (the exception being the odd party on a Saturday night).</div><div><br></div><div>In my time there were several gang incidents that happened on or around Birnam Road.  Some of which has been mentioned on this forum and in the local press.  The area didn't feel particularly safe to me in my last year or two there, but that's the area in general.</div><div><br></div><div>I wouldn't buy there.</div>
  • <p>It seems odd to me that the area around the Andover is percieved to be unsafe when most of the crime I hear about (mugging, burgalries etc.), seems to happen the other side of SGR.</p><p> </p>
  • why not also checkout the reported-crime map ... type the postcode or sreet neme http://www.police.uk/
  • <p>Thanks, that's genuinely interesting.</p><p>Taking into account density of population, there's less difference between our area round the Andover and the rarefied heights of Mount View than you might expect. </p>
  • 1134 crimes within a mile of my house in April 2012? Good God. That is one alarming website!
  • <p>Did you click on the map to see what kind of crimes, seems to be ASBO's and muggings over here. </p><p>In other news, my pal had her iphone stolen out of her hand in Putney the other day, a young lad just cycled by, plucked it from her paw and was off before she even had a chance to yell. Be careful with your phones chaps!</p>
  • 78 burglaries, 424 anti-social behaviour, 43 robbery, 80 vehicle crime, 134 violent crime, 39 public disorder & weapons (!), 38 shoplifting, 50 criminal damage & arson, 167 other theft, 35 drugs, 46 other crime. I may never leave the house again, it's not safe!!<div><br></div><div>Am I right in thinking that burglary is stuff being removed from a building, and robbery is stuff being taken from a person i.e. mugging?<br></div>
  • <P>thats a scary website.......so if thats the number reported........??</P> <P> </P>
  • Thank you, @fothers - I hadn't actually gone there yet!! How do I get a terrified-looking emoticon?